Inconsistent with driver

tmccord12

Reaction score
Up until recently I’ve been able to hit my driver straight. I developed some nasty snap hooks so I weakened my grip but now I’m pushing the ball or even slicing. Any tips on where I’m going wrong?
View attachment IMG_1311.mov

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a bit over the top / out to in path which would be causing the slice. It was a major issue I had last year. Path was more important to my swing than my grip was. Still trying to figure it out and it's a lot harder than just "telling you" what's wrong. But that's what I can see at first

The old saying goes you can talk to a cut but a hook won’t listen.

Just looking at your swing though it seems you’ve gotten over the top just a bit and outside in which is causing the push cut look.

The old saying goes you can talk to a cut but a hook won’t listen.

Just looking at your swing though it seems you’ve gotten over the top just a bit and outside in which is causing the push cut look.
Isn’t that the truth. Damn, no idea where the out to in swing is coming from but I can see it. Similar to what you said, it looks slight to me, but maybe it’s enough to be causing the issues I’m having.

Isn’t that the truth. Damn, no idea where the out to in swing is coming from but I can see it. Similar to what you said, it looks slight to me, but maybe it’s enough to be causing the issues I’m having.
Sometimes the smallest little thing causes the ball to do strange things.

Wait, is that video with the weakened grip?

If I was hitting the ball straight with my driver, then developed a hook, I wouldn't change my grip. What I would first try is slowing my swing tempo down to get the arms, and hips working properly together again.

When I hook a drive it's usually because I'm too armsy/handsy, while leaving lower body behind. This seems to always happen when I try swinging faster, looking for a few extra yards. My grip was not the problem.

As for the slice, the grip change and the slight out to in swing path into the ball will cause that. Go back to your straight ball grip, and focus on your out to in swing with the proper swing tempo, which should get your hand, arms, and hips working together again.

Not guaranteeing this would work for you, but it's what I would for myself.

Once a golfer has good ball flight I was told never to change the grip., unless the golfer was getting a complete swing change.

Don’t look at me. I’ve completely lost my driver swing lately. I tried throwing in the 2deep today but it didn’t work. Neeed to grab the mini driver out of my office and give it a run.

Wait, is that video with the weakened grip?
Yes that’s with the weakened grip. Still too strong? I know I’m out to in but I’m lost on my grip now. The wheels are falling off

Yes that’s with the weakened grip. Still too strong? I know I’m out to in but I’m lost on my grip now. The wheels are falling off
This is just a position that looks like a really strong grip. I think you just need to get the club more open. I know that sounds like the opposite, but with how shut your club is, your going to be hitting fades all day (think DJ and Brooks and Rahm). If you want to hit more draws, the club has to open so it can rotate closed through the ball (think Rory and Scottie).

1000004182.png

I bet there is a reverse pivot happening here because of how straight your right leg is getting. Keep some flex in that leg on the way back.

Practice with an alignment rod on your toe line and feel like your hands stay on that line for as long as possible on the way back

Stop your swing here:

1000004183.png

On the way down, start with your hips but have it feel like your back stays towards the target longer, and let your arms drop. It should feel like your hands are dtopping into your right pocket.

Lastly, with the driver, your head has to stay back. For me, I like to feel like my head never gets forward of my midline on the way back and through. I think "head behind d!ck.". Hard to be over the top when your head stays closer to the trail side.

Moving hands inward at address so you're not reaching for the game would be a good place to start.

Thanks for all of the help and guidance, everyone. Here is another video, I’m really trying to not swing over the top. I’m swinging a 5 iron here. And forgive my attire, I just got home from work and have been thinking about this all day haha. How does this look?

Attachments

• IMG_1313.mov
    29.4 MB
Thanks for all of the help and guidance, everyone. Here is another video, I’m really trying to not swing over the top. I’m swinging a 5 iron here. And forgive my attire, I just got home from work and have been thinking about this all day haha. How does this look?
With a little more flex in your right knee and this is a really good position.

1000004191.png

On the way back, your hips aren't turning, your right leg is just straightening as you slide. Get used to the feeling of your right hip turning back so your right pocket points at the target more.

Last edited:
With a little more flex in your right knee and this is a really good position.

View attachment 9261807

On the way back, your hips aren't turning, your right leg is just straightening as you slide. Get used to the feeling of your right hip turning back so your right pocket points at the target more.
Awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to break everything down. I know I tend to get stuck on my lead leg, so a little more shift to trail leg and then back seems like it will help get that knee flex you mentioned

Back