If you had a.........

TheGasman

I Like to Party
Reaction score
Handicap
If you had a time machine, what would be the one thing in history you would go back and change?

Mine would be to snuff out the guy who wrote " Celebrate Good Times". The playoffs just started and I already cant stand that song again.

First thing would be to not have married my ex-wife :clapp: After that I'd tell myself to get in on the ground floor and buy Microsoft stock and never sell it :comp:

High school, and that thing with the lady art teacher. :D

There's a long list of things that I would go back and change, but would it make the present any better? Probably not.

Maybe keep the Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, and those guys off that plane, or maybe keep Payne Stewert off the plane. But that's not saying some other accident wouldn't have happened and taken them anyways.

Hoo boy, do I ever have a long list of regrets... I'd be busy from here to eternity trying to set things right.

I don't know that I'd change anything but I'd love to go back to the Middle Ages. I think it was a very mysterious and mystical time in history.

-JP

As engineers we discuss this topic often. Bob Pease a famous analog designer had a specific answer for this question. He said he would kill the inventor of SPICE. SPICE is a modeling system for electrical circuits. He felt that engineers relied too heavily on the software and got away from the work of designing. Most people looked shocked when he said it, but his reply was would you have killed Hitler or Bin Laden before they committed their terrible deeds.

Not sure if I have a good answer, only because even if you changed something somebody else or something else will happen in its place. This something might even be worse than what originally happened.

Not sure if I have a good answer, only because even if you changed something somebody else or something else will happen in its place. This something might even be worse than what originally happened.

Kind of like Back to the Future II. :act-up:

Kind of like Back to the Future II. :act-up:

Excellent example.

Ironically my aunts house was used in that movie. In the alternative 1985 Fox's character goes to his Principles house and it gets shot up by a drive by gang. That was her house. I got to meet most of the cast and watch some of the filming.

I don't know that I'd change anything but I'd love to go back to the Middle Ages. I think it was a very mysterious and mystical time in history.

-JP

Smelly, unhygenic, disease-ridden, rodent-infested.

Have fun!

I'd love to meet my hero, Elizabeth I.

Not sure what I'd change. It would be interesting to know how things would have worked out differently if what, Alexander the Great had lived to a ripe old age, WWI never happened, Hitler had died of some childhoold disease. Chances are, the ramifications of any change would play out in unimaginable ways, and there's no guarantee things would be better--or worse--now than the way the world worked out.

Dunno if I'd change anything. On a personal level, there's a few things I regret from my past, but if I went back and changed those things, I might have made different and potentially more disasterous mstakes instead.

JP,
Have you ever read the book "Timeline" by Michael Crichton? Exactly what this thread is about and an awesome book. You can also watch the movie, but not nearly as good as the book.

JP,
Have you ever read the book "Timeline" by Michael Crichton? Exactly what this thread is about and an awesome book. You can also watch the movie, but not nearly as good as the book.

Agreed, it's a good book, the movie was ... alright...

Smelly, unhygenic, disease-ridden, rodent-infested.

Have fun!

I'd love to meet my hero, Elizabeth I.

Not sure what I'd change. It would be interesting to know how things would have worked out differently if what, Alexander the Great had lived to a ripe old age, WWI never happened, Hitler had died of some childhoold disease. Chances are, the ramifications of any change would play out in unimaginable ways, and there's no guarantee things would be better--or worse--now than the way the world worked out.

The shortage of dentists and the abundance of plagues would concern me.

There are couple books named What if... where military historians write essays on how they think history might have been different if Alexander the Great would have lived, or the outcomes of some other historically important battles would have turned out differently. They're pretty interesting stuff.

What if

Kevin

I would go back to july 4th 1995, the day before my mom was killed in a motorcycle accident. Obviously my goal would be to prevent it.

The shortage of dentists and the abundance of plagues would concern me.

There are couple books named What if... where military historians write essays on how they think history might have been different if Alexander the Great would have lived, or the outcomes of some other historically important battles would have turned out differently. They're pretty interesting stuff.

What if

Kevin

I am currently reading one of the What If books and I think they are fascinating. They can really put a good perspective on some of the events of history and how they influenced our lives today.

Back