If only I had all this tech when I was younger

mts25

Reaction score
Handicap
I got a GC2 launch monitor / simulator in Nov/December 2021 (Foresight Sports). My main justification was that I was getting older. I get "winter" in my part of the country and it was getting tougher to recover from the 4+ month winter layoff each year.

Once I got the GC2, I enjoyed playing the various courses (FSX2020), but I also got more interested in some swing changes and picking up some clubhead speed.

For the swing changes, I took some iPhone video of my swing, but more than that, I put up a bunch of mirrors in my simulator room. You can't get much more instant feedback on some things than seeing it in the mirror and then getting the instant feedback from the GC2. Since I started, the guys I regularly play with tell me my swing is significantly more solid and consistent. My ball striking on course was much improved last season as a result.

The speed stuff got really interesting. I didn't use a speed system training program. I actually just watched a lot of YouTube videos from a lot of different pros on how to improve speed. There really are many different ways to go about it. Through trial and error I've been able to discover some things that worked really well for me and others that didn't work at all. Having the GC2 and software right there provides instant feedback on what works and what doesn't (for me). It still surprises me how I would tweak something thinking it added speed and it didn't while other tweaks really did. Having the launch monitor right there gave me the instant feedback. It's also allowed me to test drivers and shafts in order to optimize things for me.

I recently upgraded to the GC Quad and I've been surprised how much more I like it than the GC2. It's a very nice unit and will more easily allow me to take it out to the range and work on wedge distances this year.

When I initially got the GC2, I was swinging the driver in the 97-100mph range. I'm 55 this year and I now consistently swing my fairway wood in the 103-105 mph range and swing my driver in the 108-112mph range. My accuracy has improved as well. The jump in speed showed up on the course last year in a big way too. The GC2 and now GC Quad have made an enjoyable game even more enjoyable.

Like the title says, I only wish I had this tech around when I was younger and more physically capable. This season I plan to take up some specific workout routines and may also do the speed stick training program to continue to work on this and hopefully maintain it as long as I can as I age.

For anyone on the fence on getting this type of tech, it's certainly been worth it for me. It's been some of the most enjoyable money I've spent.

IMG_5262.jpgIMG_5260.jpgIMG_5261.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I had taken lessons earlier AND been aware of the ball flight/ club path laws .

Back