I found +20 yds...is it club, shaft or scam?

huhhh

Reaction score
Handicap
25.3 GRINT
So, yesterday I found myself next to a Golf Galaxy with a bit of time to kill. I wound up hitting a few irons including the TM RSI. Not sure if it was 1 or 2. Priced in the $450 - $480 range new. They did have uniflex shafts in them

First swing with them, I hit an 8i 160+ that's a good 20yds past normal for me. I did flush that one but subsequent swings all went 150+. I didn't flush 7i as much; but even when thinned it still carried 155 which is normal flush range for that club. (side note: did not do so well off the toe)

Question is: 20yds is a LOT. Is it the club, the uniflex shaft, or just a hopped up machine that could account for the difference.

...for reference current irons are Nike Machspeed sq's.

Sounds like a good pairing, but in my personal experience with golf galaxy, nothing is realistic.

Anything else around you with legitimate simulators to try them on?

The best thing to do is hit your clubs next to the ones your trying. See if it's an actual 20 yard increase. Is it possible? Sure. Likely? Not sure

The best thing to do is hit your clubs next to the ones your trying. See if it's an actual 20 yard increase. Is it possible? Sure. Likely? Not sure

This. Hit yours next to it and then gauge off that since you know your clubs quite well.

I wouldn't think 10+ yards more on average is too crazy going to the RSi (1 has the black cavity 2 is silver) from your Nike Machspeed SQ irons. The RSi irons were solid and long.

Not sure how they stack up against your current sticks....but I did have the RSI's for a bit and they were long...very similar to the Speedblade...a combination of speed pocket and stronger lofts.

Like other's have said, you need one or more of your current gamers with you as a baseline when hitting new clubs, if at all possible.

I know in real world the speedblades are long. I played a round with a rental set once. I was over the green all day by 1/2 to a full club. I hit the latest version of those as well, they were long but not like the RSIs. Which is why I didn't discount the results off hand. I still lean more toward hopped up machine.

If I ever get the chance I'll do head to head. I'm most curious about the shaft though. I went from S to R with my machspeeds. I wonder if uniflex just fits better. (all steel)

i see you've forayed into the world of juiced up simulators

i see you've forayed into the world of juiced up simulators

That might not be the case. It's entirely possible to be gaming something so wrong for you that the second you hit something that's perfect for you there are major gains

That might not be the case. It's entirely possible to be gaming something so wrong for you that the second you hit something that's perfect for you there are major gains

Agreed. And after playing those irons for a bit, it's not entirely crazy to believe those gains with them. They were pretty dang long.

This. Hit yours next to it and then gauge off that since you know your clubs quite well.

triple this. always hit your existing clubs as a comparison. Especially on a big box store launch monitor. They count on you seeing 20+ yards to swipe the Amex...

Yeah, I once tried out the 712 AP1's there and was hitting 7 iron 200.

For comparison sake, I currently hit my Apex 7 iron 170-175.

Their launch monitors were awful for me.

compare the loft of your 8 iron vs the RSI 8 iron. You might find the loft on the RSI 8 iron is more equivalent to the loft of a 6 to 7 iron on your Nike clubs...

You should have tried the Rocketbladez, you would have been hitting 217!:banana:

I was wondering if golf shops were tricking or manipulating their machines to give extra yardages and maybe even.. Straighter flights ? I usually struggle with a big fade/slice and when I've hit the 917d2 the ball went the straightest I've ever hit and around d the 270 carry I felt I couldn't swing wrong.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I ran into this same thing. It's probably a combo of the irons being a bit more forgiving with length and the simulator being "off". When I got fitted recently I was hitting my 7 iron 195-200..... no way do I hit those distances on the course. My 7 irons is 175.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, fortunately being poor means you do a lot more research before buying anything. :D But the monitor #'s certainly got my attention.

Nike Machspeed 8i: loft= 37* Lie= 64.5 Length= 36.75"

TM RSI 8i : loft= 34.5* Lie= 63.5 Length= 36.50"

Well that says something. 2.5* is a good difference. Maybe not 20yds but it does make a difference. Interesting the shaft is actually a .25" shorter.

EDIT: these are RSI 1 specs.

Last edited:
Well, fortunately being poor means you do a lot more research before buying anything. :D But the monitor #'s certainly got my attention.

Nike Machspeed 8i: loft= 37* Lie= 64.5 Length= 36.75"

TM RSI 8i : loft= 34.5* Lie= 63.5 Length= 36.50"

Well that says something. 2.5* is a good difference. Maybe not 20yds but it does make a difference. Interesting the shaft is actually a .25" shorter.

Definitely go hit them side by side with your current set. Loft may tell you something, or it may not--depending on how a given set of irons is made, the stronger loft may be required to get similar launch/flight characteristics of a different set with a weaker loft but different tech.

Were you hitting in their simulator or on their launch monitor? I am assuming you are at the VB store; when I have been there, from what I remember the simulator is a bit longer than normal distances. But as others have said, you should always try to hit your current club side by side.

This is why you always take a club from your current set when testing.

If on the cg2 monitor that Galaxy often uses (especially the older software) lower spin clubs really seem to inflate the numbers. Then you get the club onto the course or range and results can vary. I'd go back and do a comparison with your Nike.

Back