How to successfully remove a razr fit tour authentic adapter?

uman

Oldest guy in the room
Reaction score
Handicap
back srg'y
First of all I am old school, have a propane torch and a shaft extractor and have successfully removed lots of graphite shafts with no damage. Remove ferrule, heat hozel with medium low flame on one side then the other, about a 6 count on each, if epoxy not broken down go for maybe an extra 4 count AND THE EXTRACTOR PUSHES HEAD OUT. Adapter removal is another new twist deal.

I just grabbed a real deal .335 aldila rip phenom from ebay for $41 plus little shipping and also ordered the less expensive single cog .335 razr fit adapter. I "think" there is a good chance I will prefer the aldila rip phen. to the existing project x 5.5 in my TA. Toying with removing double cog TA ADAPTER and install it in Aldila.
1. How easy to remove, do I have to cut off the ferrule because at first glance extractor may not be able to get good pushing leverage.
2. Is the TA ADAPTER AND COGS made of metal thus not be damaged by heat, to me the sleeve and cogs seem to be metal. Maybe I NEED TO TAKE a closer look, perhaps you only heat the sleeve area where the shaft bottoms out.
3.Don't have a heat gun can you use low flame with my torch, exactly where on the adapter do you apply heat
4. Would one have to clean the sleeve insertion area after removal , what method for that

Should I leave well enough alone and just install the single cog razr fit adapter on the aldila rip phen. since this would be a first time do by me, and I don't have any interest in taking the club to someone else to have the removal performed

I used a propane torch on an adapter from an Adams 3 wood. The ferrule part is a little rubbery, not sure what its like on the adapter you have, so keep any contact with the flame to a passing. I just constantly moved the heat around and the tip was fine.

Well first off, do you use a setting on the dual COG adapter than you can't get on the standard one? If not, just put the standard one on.

Basically just evenly heat the adapter on the metal part (you'll be fine, it's metal) and pull the shaft straight out, will it fit in your puller? You'll likely lose the ferrule.

Well first off, do you use a setting on the dual COG adapter than you can't get on the standard one? If not, just put the standard one on.

Basically just evenly heat the adapter on the metal part (you'll be fine, it's metal) and pull the shaft straight out, will it fit in your puller? You'll likely lose the ferrule.

Using the S- setting which is .4 closed. Not familiar with standard razr fit settings but guessing there may be a setting between square and closed which would be about the same thing. The shaft will fit in my puller which in actuality pushes in this case the adapter. When you say pull shaft straight out do you mean you can do this by hand so to speak without the shaft extractor devise. Is it necessary to clean the inside of the sleeve probably good thing since likely some epoxy residue in there, or if the shaft fits in there don't worry about it.

Using the S- setting which is .4 closed. Not familiar with standard razr fit settings but guessing there may be a setting between square and closed which would be about the same thing. The shaft will fit in my puller which in actuality pushes in this case the adapter. When you say pull shaft straight out do you mean you can do this by hand so to speak without the shaft extractor devise. Is it necessary to clean the inside of the sleeve probably good thing since likely some epoxy residue in there, or if the shaft fits in there don't worry about it.

Try to get what you can out and then clean it with a little rubbing alcohol on a paper towel or something.

JF, do you run a risk of twisting the shaft without a puller to take these adapters off?

JF, do you run a risk of twisting the shaft without a puller to take these adapters off?

I've only taken an adapter off a stock R11 shaft so I wasn't that concerned about the shaft (didn't even need to keep it, was just getting the adapter). But to answer your question, yes. I don't find it that hard.

You could then leave the adapter in the head and pull it like any other shaft perhaps? Get some hosel cleaners from Golf Works and use those, they work very well. Yes you'll need to clean it out.

thanks for the input and suggestions guys,much appreciated

Back