How To: Puma Disc Repair

Duffer Waldorf

[this space available]
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 GHIN
Yesterday, while driving to the club, I somehow managed to snap the lace in one of my Ignite NXT Disc shoes. This was my first pair with the Disc, and they have been in use since Dec 2018 (roughly once a week). A brief search of the web found some repairs to Puma's non-golf disc shoes, but the mechanisms on those were not at all similar to the NXTs.

Tools needed: small flat-blade screwdriver, 7mm wrench.

The only use for the screwdriver is to help in prying off the Puma cat medallion in the center of the disc. It is held in place by an adhesive, but once it becomes slightly raised, it comes out easily.

disc1.png

Removing it reveals a 7mm bolt head:

disc2.png

Backing that out allows you to remove the hexagonal spinner, which sits atop a white spool:

disc3.png

The nut and spinner mechanism are held in place by an o-ring so that it does not fully come apart here.

Pop the spool out:

disc4.png

There are small slots on each side of this disc bed in the tongue that the wire must pass through to get to the spool when re-assembled.

In the spool, there are two sets of holes that the ends of the wires are laced through to hold prevent the wire from coming completely unspooled:

disc5.png

Notice above that the wires are coming into the spool from opposite directions.

When replacing it, you simply push one end through the first hole, bend it and insert it back through the hole above the first one it came through, and pull it snug:

disc6.png

Do this for one end of the replacement wire first. Run the other end of it through a slot on one side of the disc bed. Then, lace it through the eyelets on the exterior of the shoe.

Make sure the spool is oriented correctly, with the 4 teeth face up. Lace the remaining end through the other slot on the disc bed, and then through the spool, as above.

Replace the spool into the disc bed. If it is not fully seated in place, the bolt will not grab the threads. You may have to manipulate it a little to get the wire situated properly. Pulling out on the wire from both sides seemed to help, as well.

Once the bolt grabs, tighten it up. Pinching it may also help to get it started. The cat medallion snaps back in place as a cover for this bolt, so if you're anything like Adrian Monk, make sure you get the bolt in just the right position here.

disc7.png

I am a little Monkish, but failed to get it oriented correctly:

disc8.png

This would surely cost Monk 10 strokes per round.

I did not use any adhesive yet, so of course I'll fix it. I will probably add a small drop of Gorilla Glue gel. Shoe Goo seems like overkill here, in case it seeps a little and gums up the whole disc.

I am not sure where replacement wires can be found for purchase. I was fortunate that the wire snapped near the disc. I 'only' lost ~5 1/2" of wire, but was able to re-use the remaining piece. It's a little harder to get on now, but still works as expected, so far. If you have a pair of PWRAdapt Discs with rotten spike beds, you may be able to repurpose those wires.

Given the foot pictures thread, I tried to crop out as much of my hands as possible. Please forgive me for what is still visible.

GREAT tutorial, now if there we're only a fix for the cleats insert tearing out....

Back