How to hit a Cleveland Niblick?

Ping

Reaction score
Handicap
I purchased a 42 loft and 56 niblick. Too snowing to try to hit but was wondering how to hit a bump and run with a niblick and also how to hit a regular fairway shot? Do I hit the niblick the same as my regular wedges or do I also use a putting stroke?

I can't answer about the 56*, but having the 42* for a bump and run I use a putting stroke lofting or de-lofting the face as needed. From the fairway I it from a normal 9 iron position and hit it the same as I do all my irons, taking a small divot. I can't sweep it and get good results, but that may just be me.

I love the niblicks. They have improved my short game tremendously. I have the 37* and the 49*. From near the fringe of the green I use the 37* for a bump and run shot using a putting stroke. For a full shot, I swing it just like a normal iron and get 125 yd. carry distance.
I bought the 37* because I play a lot of high desert courses with tight lies. The Cleveland website stated the 37* was preferable for those conditions. I liked the 37* so much I bought the 49* for pitch shots. I use the same technique with the 49*as the 37*, near the green a putting stroke and as I get further from the green and the putting stroke is not sufficient I use a chipping stroke. When the chipping stroke is not going to give me enough distance then I use a pitch shot swing, a small amount of body turn and some hinging of the wrists.
After a few practice sessions I was using them on the course and shaving some strokes off my scores.
I hope you find them as easy to hit good shots as I did. Good Luck.

To play the bump and run shots please check out THP TV volume 1. You will end up playing the niblick just like you would your 9 iron or wedges. It plays the same it just has a little different weighting to it.

amollerud...

I just looked at the photos of Niblick and I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure but wondering if it would give too much bouncy feeling ?

Not quite sure what you mean by bouncy feeling. I have hit them a number of times and they feel just like a 9 iron or wedge. They just have more mass and a thick sole for ease of use around the greens.

bouncy feeling... due to thick sole, as you mentioned.
I was wondering if that thick sole would give too much bounce?

The way that it is set up it doesn't play with more bounce. It plays much like a normal iron would.

Back