How much difference do your fitted clubs actually make?

I was fit into new clubs the other week and took them out for their first outing this past weekend. I went out in 2 over and back in 5 over which is better than my average. According to shot scope, I hit 53% of GIR compared to my average of 34%. I’d say that’s a pretty good advert for getting custom fit.

I think it helps. Especially getting the right shaft and the lie correct.

Bryson is a pro with a consistent swing so the results do not shock me. For us mere mortals, fittings are absolutely important for your game given our inconsistencies with our swings.

In any pursuit ,,, there a point of diminishing returns ….

Also depends on the datum of the player , you ask is …

A lower hcp will have a higher level of sensitivity than a 30+ hcp.

Not discounting that the right tools fit for purpose provide best outcomes …

And even more astounding is DCB ability over that par 5 with junior clubs… certainly, not one length or fit for purpose lol

There’s so many ingredients in the equipment and swing and person.
No one answer would suffice I think

Bryson is a pro with a consistent swing so the results do not shock me. For us mere mortals, fittings are absolutely important for your game given our inconsistencies with our swings.
Of course, the counter to that is that if we’re that inconsistent, exactly which swing does the fitting apply to? Can’t be everything.

Of course, the counter to that is that if we’re that inconsistent, exactly which swing does the fitting apply to? Can’t be everything.
You fit to your miss...and if you are fighting a two way miss then go get lessons and once you feel comfortable go get a fitting. The point being that you can get a good fitting as a high handicap player. Any good fitter worth anything will understand what good or decent strikes look like, use that as the baseline for an optimal fitting based on the current swing, then dial in the fitting to maximize your miss with as much forgiveness and ball speed retention as possible.

I think fitted clubs make a huge difference. Having clubs that keep you in play is going to lower your scores. Having the proper weight, length ,lie angle, grips etc absolutely makes a difference.

You fit to your miss...and if you are fighting a two way miss then go get lessons and once you feel comfortable go get a fitting. The point being that you can get a good fitting as a high handicap player. Any good fitter worth anything will understand what good or decent strikes look like, use that as the baseline for an optimal fitting based on the current swing, then dial in the fitting to maximize your miss with as much forgiveness and ball speed retention as possible.
Right, but at the risk of sounding like a troll, which miss? Inconsistent, as implied, means inconsistent all over the place—left/right, push/pull, hook/slice, fat/thin, heel/toe.

Yes, if you’ve eliminated the two-way miss, you may be able to dial things in a little better after that, but how many inconsistent golfers are even halfway dialed in like that? Even tour players are capable of left-right army golf at times, with neither miss being out of the realm of possibility.

I don’t discount some aspects of fitting, I just don’t see it as quite as important as some others do.

Right, but at the risk of sounding like a troll, which miss? Inconsistent, as implied, means inconsistent all over the place—left/right, push/pull, hook/slice, fat/thin, heel/toe.

Yes, if you’ve eliminated the two-way miss, you may be able to dial things in a little better after that, but how many inconsistent golfers are even halfway dialed in like that? Even tour players are capable of left-right army golf at times, with neither miss being out of the realm of possibility.

I don’t discount some aspects of fitting, I just don’t see it as quite as important as some others do.
let's assume the player has a miss right or left. If its to the right the clubs can be bent upright to help straighten it out. If it's a miss left, they can flatten the clubs. Based on how they deliver the head through impact certain irons can help better with turf interaction versus others. if they need help elevating the ball then you have a segment of clubs that can help that. Same goes for woods and hybrids.

My point being is that you dont have to be a scratch mid or even low teens golfer to benefit from a fitting. A good fitter will know what you do well, build on that and then fit to your miss. I've seen it done and I am a product of one of those such fittings.

I have been at this silly game long enough to have a pretty darn good idea of what clubs will work for my current desires before I get to the store. Like anything else, picking clubs is a matter of making the compromises that fulfill your wants. You cant have an ultra forgiving, yet easily workable club capable of advanced shot making.. (I wish LOL)
A fitter can assist you in deciding what best suits your wants, but the way I usually go about picking clubs is to go Carls and hit clubs that I am interested in, perhaps with a few different stock shafts if I like it but it needs a little tweaking. Once that is done, I will go to the launchpad with one of their excellent sales reps and dial in the shaft. All thats left to do is pay for the clubs and 99% of the time they have mine in stock. If not, they will ship them straight to me.
I have never been to a full formal fitting anywhere but Carls in which I had any confidence in the fitting. I could tell stories of attempted rape at CC, but we all know the same story........

let's assume the player has a miss right or left. If its to the right the clubs can be bent upright to help straighten it out. If it's a miss left, they can flatten the clubs. Based on how they deliver the head through impact certain irons can help better with turf interaction versus others. if they need help elevating the ball then you have a segment of clubs that can help that. Same goes for woods and hybrids.

My point being is that you dont have to be a scratch mid or even low teens golfer to benefit from a fitting. A good fitter will know what you do well, build on that and then fit to your miss. I've seen it done and I am a product of one of those such fittings.
I’m not completely disagreeing, just throwing out some food for thought.

OTOH, as far as bending for lie angle goes, (my) post #20 in this thread describes my position there.

I’m not completely disagreeing, just throwing out some food for thought.

OTOH, as far as bending for lie angle goes, (my) post #20 in this thread describes my position there.
it's a good discussion and I am a believer in fittings for all levels. A player has to decide how much they are going to invest to get better. If they just want to play occasionally then a fitting adjusting lies and maximizing carry is ideal imo. If they want to get a baseline and then get after it to get better, that fitting presents a different kind of result.

I recently had the opportunity to play TPC Sawgrass. The airline lost my clubs and I had to use rental clubs. I played very well that day and shot a 91 (tough track). I don't think I would have played much better if I had my own fitted clubs. Maybe would have been 1-2 strokes better. For not swinging a club in 6 months and using rentals, I was happy as hell with my effort.

I recently had the opportunity to play TPC Sawgrass. The airline lost my clubs and I had to use rental clubs. I played very well that day and shot a 91 (tough track). I don't think I would have played much better if I had my own fitted clubs. Maybe would have been 1-2 strokes better. For not swinging a club in 6 months and using rentals, I was happy as hell with my effort.
In that same vein, I played a set of Taylormade Stealth rentals in Mayakoba a few months back that were not at all like my regular set, and I found them to be eminently playable. So much so that I considered for a moment moving away from my Mizunos…then I got home and hit my Mizunos again. 😎

It matters for day to day, but any good player can make things work with just about anything.....as the OP implied

I shot a +2 handicap round at baltusrol lower with rental club regular flex shafts in T200s....not all that similar to what i play now. On my honeymoon i shot my index with Ping Eye2 irons, one 56 degree wedge and a driver that didn't fit me.

Wouldn't want to do it every day.....but you can do it.

Clubs matter. But less than people like us think IMO

Lie angle has helped me since getting fit. It also brings confidence knowing what you're going to do as you stand over the ball .

Hope you all watched the video. Pretty amazing how, with a couple of swings, Bryson dissected the major fit issues with lie angle, shaft flex, and the timing of the kick of the shaft. While he didn't comment on it, notice the ease at which he adjusted how far he had to bend at the hips on full swings and adjust his knee flex when chipping. ...and he did all of this on the fly! That's not us, is it?

If I played with that kids set I’d be at least 10 strokes worse through 18. 4 clubs on top of a poor fit would make it a struggle. I’d probably walk off the course, honestly. It sounds like zero fun.

Properly fit clubs makes a big difference for me. 2-3* of lie angle adjustment is the difference between hitting my start line and playing golf swing trying to figure it out the entire round. Swing weight calmed my tempo to help me have a more repeatable swing. Others might not see the same results but for me it’s a huge difference with fitted clubs.

1000065756.jpg

Apparently not enough for people to show the fitter some love. 😆

If you listen to @Canadan's latest off-course episode, you'll hear the fitting experts discuss how they enjoy the higher handicappers the most because they can have the biggest impact on their game. Yeah, if the person is like a 35-handicap that can't get the ball off the ground there may not be much they can do for them until they get some semblance of competence, but for the 13-20-ish handicap there's real gains to be made especially if their equipment is a poor fit. With good players, there's less margin for gains as the players are typically already playing good equipment and can get the most of it. They can shave some partial strokes which is still very important, but you're not going to see big jumps.

If it's not some rare odd ball specifications such as 1" inch under length irons with noodle flexible shafts, a skilled player will shoot the same scores with his own fitted set or a rental set.
In other words any stock iron set or stock woods or wedges or putter from a retail store will be fine for a player to shoot their lowest score. That said, getting fit for clubs can be a fun experience and having fun is worthwhile.

I suspect Bryson thinks it makes a big difference. Why else would he put so much effort into his equipment searching for the perfect set?

I do not know all, but I am of the opinion that the better skill a golfer has, the less important equipment is.

A pro might see a stroke or 4 difference if you hand them a set of junior clubs with a range ball. I might see a 10-15 shot difference if you give me a pro’s set of clubs and their golf ball.

There is no doubt in my mind that I have a potential to shoot better scores with equipment fit for me.

I would probably play pretty bad. One day I was bored and had some time so I went to tgw and hit most of the clubs and some I took 2 swings with and was like NOPE.
Apex Pro's are beautiful clubs and I am sure very nice but I don't think 18 holes would be fun with those for me.

Now my irons are all 2* flat and I am hitting them more online than ever.

I think you could give most of the pro's any clubs and they could get around. It's the Indian Not the Arrow!

Back