How does Ping install shaft adapter?

rfdong

Reaction score
Handicap
So I’m a newbie at this, but pulled my first adapter on a Ping driver shaft. I noticed that Ping uses a plug on the end of the shaft. Since this was my first time I’m not sure if every manufacturer does this or not? But when I went to install the new adapter it was impossible to get it to go on due to trapping of the air. I had read you had to have the shaft end open because of this but my question is how do manufacturers install adapters with a plug on the end of the shaft?

It appears you may have some epoxy that has hardened in the shaft. Typically I drill that out

No, I ended up removing the plastic plug Ping had installed and the adapter went right on…….my question is how did Ping do it with the plug installed?

No, I ended up removing the plastic plug Ping had installed and the adapter went right on…….my question is how did Ping do it with the plug installed?
The pressure will typically release around the adapter. The plug helps avoid excess epoxy up the shaft which can vary from harmless to nuisance to snapped shaft if not done properly. As far as the issue you had in getting the adapter on with the plug it takes a little finessing then it’ll stay put.

Watch from the 2:45 mark on. I guess the answer is brute force. Epoxy pushes up the sides of the adapter creating a solid bond.

Last edited:
He sure put a lot of epoxy in the adapter. Maybe that’s the key as there’s less air to trap?

Back