How do you use BB&F type Ferrules on a P790?

Supersport

Reaction score
Handicap
Like the title states, how would you go about using a nicer ferrule like the BB&F, which has no collar, with a P790 that has a collared ferrule which I assume centers the shaft and keeps it from moving around? The P790 OEM ferrule has a reddish ring that slides underneath the ferrule itself it seems like.
I assume it is No bueno to just use the non collared type ferrule without some type of collar device. I have seen some BST ads with P790s with BB&F ferrules.

Like the title states, how would you go about using a nicer ferrule like the BB&F, which has no collar, with a P790 that has a collared ferrule which I assume centers the shaft and keeps it from moving around? The P790 OEM ferrule has a reddish ring that slides underneath the ferrule itself it seems like.
I assume it is No bueno to just use the non collared type ferrule without some type of collar device. I have seen some BST ads with P790s with BB&F ferrules.
You can use those without much issue. I’ve seen 1/8” masking tape to create the collar before, biggest concern is center shaft install which shafting beads or quick set will help with and allow the epoxy to fill out that collar a bit to keep the shaft from contacting the ridge. I’d use the quickset and add extra epoxy to fill the void before the tape idea from a PIA perspective.

You can use those without much issue. I’ve seen 1/8” masking tape to create the collar before, biggest concern is center shaft install which shafting beads or quick set will help with and allow the epoxy to fill out that collar a bit to keep the shaft from contacting the ridge. I’d use the quickset and add extra epoxy to fill the void before the tape idea from a PIA perspective.
I have actually done this exact thing before (both ways). I try not to use extra epoxy, but shafting beads definitely feel as though they help with centering.

I have actually done this exact thing before (both ways). I try not to use extra epoxy, but shafting beads definitely feel as though they help with centering.
I’ll add the epoxy to the nearest point of the shaft near the ferrule to avoid any travel up the tip. When I’ve done it that way I’ve gone as far as mixing new epoxy aside from the one with beads to make sure there is no particles between the hosel and ferrule to create a gap.

I will cut the collars from a collared ferrule, not cost effective for most but I just use them to build non-collared clubs that come in.

Back