How Do You Know It's Time to Make a Shaft Change?

GregDan

#DreamTeam
Reaction score
Handicap
I was having this conversation with my Dad today, and it was pretty interesting. How do you know when its time to man, or woman, up and realize you just can't swing like you used to? When do you find that its time to go ahead and play a softer flex to fit your swing a little better and get a little extra help?

And on the flip side, when do you know you are not playing a shaft that is stiff enough to handle your swing?

For me I realized a few years ago that I am getting more and more aggressive in my transition move and the stiff flex shafts just weren't loading properly for me. Got fitted for a few different shafts and most of them came out in the X-stiff category. Since I have made the switch I am finding more fairways and have a lot more confidence in my driver.

As for my Dad, he has finally accepted that his SS is just not where it used to be. He knows he has had a lot of injuries and had the surgeries to go along with them. As he works to get his flexibility back and lose some weight he has gained, he knows that he needs a little more help, especially off the tee.

How Do You Know It's Time to Make a Shaft Change?

How do I know? When a fitter using numbers, data, and their experience looking at ball flight/divots, etc. tells me that a change is needed and can show me why.

And on the flip side, when do you know you are not playing a shaft that is stiff enough to handle your swing?

Too much thought gets put into this by amateur golfers and as shown this weekend during club test, it happens FAR less than people believe.

Too much thought gets put into this by amateur golfers and as shown this weekend during club test, it happens FAR less than people believe.

That was actually a point I wanted to make. I brought up the same thing to my dad and told him that what is written on the shaft really doesnt matter much these days. It's just all about how you swing the club.

Just thought it would be a fun topic to see how many fall into that category of over thinking what is on the shaft. I kinda fall into my own trap but its also reassuring to know that what is in my driver now was fit to me from one of the best in the industry.

That was actually a point I wanted to make. I brought up the same thing to my dad and told him that what is written on the shaft really doesnt matter much these days. It's just all about how you swing the club.

Just thought it would be a fun topic to see how many fall into that category of over thinking what is on the shaft. I kinda fall into my own trap but its also reassuring to know that what is in my driver now was fit to me from one of the best in the industry.

I tend to agree with you. If I had a dollar every time someone told me that "I overpower this shaft" and then watch them hit it on the monitor out on the range and see high and straight I would have about 12 dollars. So not that many, but if you take the gist of that statement and give me a dollar for that, I would have quite a bit more.

I know that I will never buy another club, driver especially without a proper fitting....I have seen the difference it can truly make.

I tend to agree with you. If I had a dollar every time someone told me that "I overpower this shaft" and then watch them hit it on the monitor out on the range and see high and straight I would have about 12 dollars. So not that many, but if you take the gist of that statement and give me a dollar for that, I would have quite a bit more.

Haha. Well that would be $12 you didnt have before!

But yes, I do get the gist of it and I know a lot of the stigma of stiffer flex means more power comes from the tour, but those guys just play a different game than we do.

Haha. Well that would be $12 you didnt have before!

But yes, I do get the gist of it and I know a lot of the stigma of stiffer flex means more power comes from the tour, but those guys just play a different game than we do.

And the stigma that "Im losing it left and right because I need a stiffer shaft".

And the stigma that "Im losing it left and right because I need a stiffer shaft".

Not gonna lie, I have done that. I know its totally a swing fault and normally doesn't have to do with the shaft but sometimes its just easier to blame the equipment.

Back