How do you know if your swing is too far inside/outside?

roguepixel

Reaction score
Handicap
I was at a PGA Superstore over the Memorial Day weekend and one of the store "pros" saw me testing out some wedges and he made the comment that my swing was a bit too inside.

This got me thinking....how do you know if you're too far inside/outside?

Great question here. Too far inside watch for a stuck feeling at impact. Meaning you cannot get through the shot and look for the misses to be a BIG block right (not a little flair). In my 16 years of teaching I have only come across 2 or 3 people that are too flat are too much inside. It can be miss leading with wedges. If you have a big drop at your transition it may look like you get too inside.

Do you hit a lot of pushes with your wedges? If not I wouldn't be too worried.

amollerud,
I shank my wedges a LOT. Once I tried going a little more outside, it's like I had a HUGE revelation! I make nice, crisp contact on a consistent basis. So my next question is, does this apply across the board with my driver, irons, etc. I tend to cut the ball with my driver and irons. So I wonder if this will help me out there as well.

Also after re-familiarizing myself with THP, I read about your baseball diamond drill and this really correlates (to me) about my little discovery.

Last edited:
The baseball diamond drill is great. It is tuff to do with the wedges. The shank isn't always from a flat swing. Leading with an open face leads to most shanks I have seen.

Back