Help understanding Backspin w/ Driver

GolferDad66

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So my backspin on average with the driver regardless of the driver model (and R and S shafts) ranges between 5800 - 6500 rpm. Quite high I know.

Can someone help me understand the reasons that cause backspin with drivers, and some tips/changes that may help reduce my numbers?

For instance, I was at a Callaway Paradym Smoke demo day near me, and the fitter put me in a stiff shaft which reduced the spin to 5500 - the right direction but still high. Also, he was saying that my launch angle was on avg was 15*-16* where he would like me to see me at 10-12.5 - which he said would reduce backspin. One suggestion he had for me was simply to lower my tee height (we couldn't test this out given the particular tees and mat heights- but I do plan on trying this out myself).

Any help on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks. -Frank

For my swing, the only way I could even get close to those kinds of numbers would be to add loft (i.e. flipping) at impact with the clubhead way out ahead of my hands and the dynamic loft of the club therefore being 20 degrees or more rather than 10.5 (or whatever your specific driver).

But I'm totally unqualified to know what's going on in someone's swing other than mine, if that.

I definitely think strike location is playing a factor, and probably why the fitter suggested lowering the height. Launch and spin are going to be more effected by the loft and design of the club head over the shaft. What loft driver was it?

I would almost want to question his launch monitor… that spin is really high. That’s going to be a swing issue I think. What was you AOA? First off, you want to have the ball pretty forward, like off you big toe. Also you want half a ball over the clubhead, don’t know where it is now but don’t go too low. Again… find out you AOA… a club or shaft isn’t going to fix that. Spend the $700 on fixing the issue with your swing.

For a good long while I was spinning my driver in the mid to high 3k range and sometimes hitting 5k+. My issues were caused by angle of attack mostly. I was seeing -2.5 to -5.0 AoA. Ball flight was high going higher. So I started swinging more and more down and making it worse. It’s impossible to say if that’s what’s causing your spin issues but it might be something to look at.

This scenario sounds like a high AOA with the face wide open. In my mind I see a swing where the golfer is stuck on their rear foot, club head rises a lot into the ball because there is no move back to the lead foot. Club face must be wide open too for spin to be above 5000 rpm. I’m guessing the reason a lower tee height was suggested was to encourage a pressure transfer from back foot to front foot and to encourage a more level to downward AOA.

It’s going to be hard to reduce spin without technique changes. LM numbers would help understand what’s happening.

This scenario sounds like a high AOA with the face wide open. In my mind I see a swing where the golfer is stuck on their rear foot, club head rises a lot into the ball because there is no move back to the lead foot. Club face must be wide open too for spin to be above 5000 rpm. I’m guessing the reason a lower tee height was suggested was to encourage a pressure transfer from back foot to front foot and to encourage a more level to downward AOA.

It’s going to be hard to reduce spin without technique changes. LM numbers would help understand what’s happening.
Wait a minute, weren’t we supposed to be talking about @GolferDad66 swing and not mine????:eek:

Backspin is governed by the bulge of the driver face through what is referred to as "gear effect". Any strike above the sweet spot on the face will result in a lower spin. Conversely strikes below the sweet spot will produce a higher spin rate. Same principle applies to the roll of the driver face. Toe strikes impart hook spin and heel strikes slice spin.

Backspin is governed by the bulge of the driver face through what is referred to as "gear effect". Any strike above the sweet spot on the face will result in a lower spin. Conversely strikes below the sweet spot will produce a higher spin rate. Same principle applies to the roll of the driver face. Toe strikes impart hook spin and heel strikes slice spin.
I reckon if you let the clubhead pass your hands and add loft with an upward flip, you can easily catch it very low on the face so you’re getting a uppercut, high spin upshooter.

Back