Help me pick a full brim golf hat.

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I am having a basal cell carcinoma cut off my temple next week so its time to get serious about sun protection. I have not paid much attention to these in the past but I must say none of them look very good to me appearance wise. Even if they don't look great I still need to wear it so I might as well get one that performs well on the course. If you wear one please share what works good and what to avoid when buying one.

I have a handful of full brim hats and really like the Titleist Tour Aussie and also their Aussie Mesh hat.

First off, I wish you the best regarding your procedure. If you’re looking for sun protection related apparel, I would suggest you look at Coolibar. I know that they have a line of hats including wide brimmed hats suitable for athletic activities in the sun.

Take a few practice swings with one on and see if it works for you. I have a problem with the club shaft hitting the brim on my follow-through. I finally gave up with them.

Best of luck with the procedure and post. I don't wear a bucket hat, but my non-golfer dad wears them all the time. He prefers a lot of the fisherman style ones, the brim goes all the way around but it isn't as large as some. It depends on how wide of a brim you want as well, that can change your decision. When I used to go hiking in the mountains I would wear one that was fairly floppy sides on it and it worked well for me from a protection standpoint.

I think you need to determine how much structure and size or brim you want first, that'll narrow your choices a lot. Then from there it will likely be easier to make a decision.

Good luck. After 2 Moh's surgeries, I use the Titleist wide brim that you see in most golf stores. I've tried about everything else - Tilley, Aussie Chiller, Nike, but the Titleist Hat works the best for me. Mizuno has a wide brim but they need to rethink it. Too light, not ventilated, and you got to tighten it around the chin. I asked Mizuno to just reverse engineer the Titleist Hat and give it more shape

Always use sunscreen.

Last edited:
I went and looked at hats at PGA SS today and ended up with a light weight Nike bucket hat. Trying on several I found I preferred a light weight design with a soft brim. I liked everything about the Titleist hat except the logo haha. I will give it a try in my round tomorrow and if I can stand hitting it with my right arm on the follow thru I think it will be fine.

Back