Head Position throughout the swing

sherwoodnatl

Reaction score
Handicap
Alright, this might be a tad lengthy, but not too long...just a warning

I was wondering...is it necessary to keep the head still from the beginning of the backswing until impact. My grip is between weak and neutral, i have pretty good hip rotation and follow through.

With my swing, i have been instructed to keep my hips, and thus my head more quiet to supposedly improve consistency. It has done anything but...ive been extremely on and off since. I used to play a baby draw but, since i dont have as much motion back, i get to the ball later, which makes my ball flight a fade and occasionally cut.

So when i was at the range, i had three balls left at the range. I went and sat down frustrated and decided to try out my old swing.I took some practice swings to get the feel and BOOM BOOM BOOM. Three shots drawing right down the center line.
My old swing was much more easy to remember and much free-er also.

To give you an idea of what it looked like, heres an example. Imagine looking head on at a golf swing. There is an imaginary and always stationary circle around my head. With the older and more consistent swing, about 40% of my head is out of that circle at the top of the backswing, and returns at the same position at address. The hips also move a bit farther back, but this is no concern. The New one had my head in the circle the whole way through, and close to exaclty the same spot at address...sometimes about an ear in front. Here, the hips dont go back as far.

So my question is....should i keep the old swing, which gives more consistency and a provides a more natural feel...or the new one, which is more of the "right" way to do it?
Basically, it is acceptable?

Side note - this is just for off the tee (Drive and 3-wood) My irons are good right now.

Last edited:
Great question here. IF I am understanding you the old swing your head would move back away from the target as you went to the top of the swing and as you come down into the ball the head would move back into the circle. If that is what you are saying I love it!!!! Your head has to move back off of the ball in the back swing if it doesn't and we stay ball focused with a quiet head we cannot make a weight shift. Every good ball striker on tour will move their heads back 2-4 inches on the way to the top of the backswing. Keep that movement in your swing....It is a MUST to make a proper weight shift.

Thank you so much.

The only way i can describe how the new swing felt was that it felt like it was limited, both in extension, and body movement.
The new one, like i said, is more natural and free

Thanks for the info!

Back