Hardest club in bag to fill for me is higher FW - revise the old but tested, or go new (4-5w)?

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
All former good player here - back in game after several years of injuries. I have filled my set recently with fitted PXGs (0211 irons with Accra shafts (super clubs) , a hybrid and a Gen 2 driver) except Vokey wedges, a old but good Scotty, and a dependable Ping G20 3w that has a high performing Reg ProForce shaft in it. I have lost SS but still between 95-100 and am in training to get some yards back.

I have a old but loved Titleist 906F4 18.5 that is still a fabulous club visually, and has performed very well in past, but has a too stiff S ProForce 75gram shaft. I am pondering whether to go new or revise this with a new shaft. To me this higher FW club is so important as at my age it would be used a lot on long par 3s, par 4s and to lay back on par 5s and would probably get used at least 5x a round or more.

I am leaning to keeping it and putting another Proforce shaft but how much am I losing by not going to the new technology? If i upgrade want something adjustable like a PXG or Titliest but would consider any other options. I did check with Golfworks and can have a shaft installed in current club for about $100. My PXG hybrid is 22 degrees (and adjustable) so looking for something between 17-19 degrees and preferably adjustable and have been fitted into lite regular shafts. I naturally draw the ball and fight a hook. Thoughts?

I bet you could find a Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (18* adjustable) new or like new for under $150. I love mine, use it a lot.

If the club works for you, reshaft it. Are you necessarily set on a Proforce? There are lots of shafts out there to choose from that might meet your needs.

As you're aware, equipment has changed. There are new and updated fairways out there. A quick google shows a review from 2011 for the Ping G20 so is it around 9 years old? If so, maybe consider trying something newer.

If you're amenable to that then maybe try something from an online place that has a 90 day club test drive policy... like maybe Budget Golf! :cool:

These are good thoughts and I used to build clubs myself and my son works at 2nd Swing - so can get access to used clubs there or through multiple other sources. I am considering looking for a Titleist S3 once the newer models come on the market, as definetely like adjustability and the look. By the way I made a double eagle with a Calloway fairway wood (3) back in the day on short dogleg par 5. Those bring back some good memories but have mainly gamed Titleist woods since although the Ping 3w I got 2nd hand from son is a fabulous but older club. Current 4 wood came from Cherokee CC in Madison WI which I was fitted for when Stricker lived by the course. It will be hard to give up as has the best look of any fairway wood ever in my opinion.

Double eagle! That's awesome!!

VEr
Double eagle! That's awesome!!

Very lucky kind of a blind shot and cost me more in beer thank I won in skins! Was at a club near Philly.

Back