Hands forward drill?

TxAggie2018

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys. Have you found any good drills that help you ingrain the feel of hands forward at impact?

do a million punch shots.
or
rehearse it with practice swings then repeat on full/real swing without thinking.
look at a point ABOVE the equator of the ball, like you want to drive it in the ground instead of underneath and trying to lift it.

Thinking in front and low like ^ he's saying will work for some people. There's devices like impact snap to help with a right palm down feel. That feel with elbow in front works for me. Picture Tommy Fleetwood rehearsal, locking the wrists into position and getting that elbow in front. I rehearse that in a sense.

Kind of like the second half of this video. Ish.

I was working with a buddy of mine for the longer clubs I actually open the face up a bit more at set up and push more shaft lean, through the opening of the face. It helps me hit the 6, 7, 8 iron a lot better, but I am a 19 hdcp so buyer beware.....

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Been doing punch shots pretty well, I am getting good compression on those. Full swings are still hit-and-miss, but I like the "hands low and forward" feeling that @OldandStiff mentioned, compared to the "elbow forward" swing thought. Those dominant hands, they sure are touchy, aren't they? Inb4 Lane and Gerry Hogan....

CelebratedMintyGnu-size_restricted.gif

I think I need to make my takeaway more outside. I tend to take my club away behind my hands, which just compacts everything in the downswing and leads you to flip when you run out of room. I'll try that and get back to you guys. Thanks for the really solid advice thus far.

Last edited:
Find something soft (like a bean bag) that you can swing into and really focus on hitting the bag with your hands ahead of the club

The sole of the club and the top of the handle have to be moving in the same direction when you swing through the ball. It's that simple.

What many golfers do is flip the clubhead through impact. Everything is going well until just before impact when the golfer tries to hit with the right hand, sending the clubhead more forward and causing the tip of the handle to actually back up. That's the habit you're trying to break and the suggestion above is how to do it.

The hands get forward by turning the hips and hitting into a firm left side.

For me, focusing too much on what my hands are doing leads me to get over the top. It's the worst thing I can do for my swing.

The mistake that a lot of people make when they try to get the hands forward is they present the hosel to the ball because they completely lose all clubface awareness. Keep mind of that when you're working on any drill to get the hands forward. Just my .02.

See my other thread about deadening the hands at the top. Your hands will be forward at impact naturally, without you even trying to do it.

Let it happen is the most important thing I have learned in the last year or so.

Back