Recipe Ham and Rice Casserole

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
On this weeks episode of Worst Golf Podcast I shared this recipe for Ham and Rice Casserole. This is a one pot recipe that is easy to make and is just comforting. I didn't always used to like ham, but I have come around, and this kind of reminds me of Waffle House hash browns with diced ham in a weird way. For the ham, I just asked the deli counter to give me the thickest slices they could and it worked perfectly.

Ham and Rice Casserole
Makes 6 Servings. Recipe from The Salty Marshmallow - https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/ham-and-rice-casserole/#wprm-recipe-container-11814
ham-rice1.jpg
Ingredients
  • 3 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 Small White Onion peeled and diced
  • 1 Tablespoon Finely Minced Garlic
  • 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
  • Pinch Salt
  • ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1 Cup Long Grain White Rice
  • 2 ¾ Cup Chicken Broth
  • 2 Heads Broccoli cut into bite size florets (about 3 cups)
  • 1 16 Ounce Pack Cooked Diced Ham
  • 8 Ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Instructions
  1. Add the butter to a deep skillet or a soup pot over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
  2. Then add the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
  3. Cook for another minute then add the rice and sauté until the rice starts to turn a light golden color.
  4. Pour in the chicken broth and bring it to a boil over high heat. Then cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low medium and cook for 10 minutes.
  5. While the rice is cooking, cut the large pieces of ham into smaller pieces and set aside.
  6. Once the 10 minutes have passed, remove the lid from the rice and gently stir in the broccoli and ham.
  7. Place the lid back on the pan and cook for another 8 minutes then add the freshly grated cheese and stir to combine.
  8. Place the lid back on the pot and remove it from the heat.
  9. Let the cheese melt before serving with fresh parsley if desired.
Notes
NOTE ON HAM: You can use cubed, diced, leftover, or chopped deli ham. You will want about 1 ½ -2 Cups of ham total.

NOTE ON FREEZING: This can be cooked as directed, minus the cheese and then frozen. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator completely before reheating in a large skillet over medium heat in about 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil. Stir in the cheese and allow to melt once the dish is warmed through.

Nutrition
Serving: 1Cup | Sodium: 875mg | Calcium: 289mg | Vitamin C: 8mg | Vitamin A: 554IU | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 159mg | Cholesterol: 55mg | Calories: 322kcal | Saturated Fat: 12g | Fat: 19g | Protein: 12g | Carbohydrates: 26g | Iron: 1mg

• Admin
Bumping for the evening crowd. This is such an easy recipe, and I think it’s something the whole family will enjoy.

This looks like something my kids would like too, im going to give it a whirl this weekend!

This sounds really good. I'm going to give this one a go but sub parboiled rice for regular long grain.

This sounds really good. I'm going to give this one a go but sub parboiled rice for regular long grain.
This is on my to try list, except I would 86 the cheese.

this looks good, have to give this a try. i do something very similar but with corkscrew noodles instead of rice and add red peppers.

thanks for the recipe.

Dinner is up to me, so I am making this tonight.

On this weeks episode of Worst Golf Podcast I shared this recipe for Ham and Rice Casserole. This is a one pot recipe that is easy to make and is just comforting. I didn't always used to like ham, but I have come around, and this kind of reminds me of Waffle House hash browns with diced ham in a weird way. For the ham, I just asked the deli counter to give me the thickest slices they could and it worked perfectly.

Ham and Rice Casserole
Makes 6 Servings. Recipe from The Salty Marshmallow - https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/ham-and-rice-casserole/#wprm-recipe-container-11814
View attachment 9203440
Ingredients
  • 3 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 Small White Onion peeled and diced
  • 1 Tablespoon Finely Minced Garlic
  • 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
  • Pinch Salt
  • ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1 Cup Long Grain White Rice
  • 2 ¾ Cup Chicken Broth
  • 2 Heads Broccoli cut into bite size florets (about 3 cups)
  • 1 16 Ounce Pack Cooked Diced Ham
  • 8 Ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Instructions
  1. Add the butter to a deep skillet or a soup pot over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
  2. Then add the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
  3. Cook for another minute then add the rice and sauté until the rice starts to turn a light golden color.
  4. Pour in the chicken broth and bring it to a boil over high heat. Then cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low medium and cook for 10 minutes.
  5. While the rice is cooking, cut the large pieces of ham into smaller pieces and set aside.
  6. Once the 10 minutes have passed, remove the lid from the rice and gently stir in the broccoli and ham.
  7. Place the lid back on the pan and cook for another 8 minutes then add the freshly grated cheese and stir to combine.
  8. Place the lid back on the pot and remove it from the heat.
  9. Let the cheese melt before serving with fresh parsley if desired.
Notes
NOTE ON HAM: You can use cubed, diced, leftover, or chopped deli ham. You will want about 1 ½ -2 Cups of ham total.

NOTE ON FREEZING: This can be cooked as directed, minus the cheese and then frozen. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator completely before reheating in a large skillet over medium heat in about 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil. Stir in the cheese and allow to melt once the dish is warmed through.

Nutrition
Serving: 1Cup | Sodium: 875mg | Calcium: 289mg | Vitamin C: 8mg | Vitamin A: 554IU | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 159mg | Cholesterol: 55mg | Calories: 322kcal | Saturated Fat: 12g | Fat: 19g | Protein: 12g | Carbohydrates: 26g | Iron: 1mg
Love this!!

Made this for dinner last night. I doubled the ham and omitted the cheese and butter.

It was really good, I topped it with some crushed red pepper and a little bit of parmesan cheese.

Super macro friendly, came out to 268 calories/serving. 28g protein, 38g carbs, and 3g fat.

Made this for dinner last night. I doubled the ham and omitted the cheese and butter.

It was really good, I topped it with some crushed red pepper and a little bit of parmesan cheese.

Super macro friendly, came out to 268 calories/serving. 28g protein, 38g carbs, and 3g fat.
It's very comfort food like, isn't it? It was for me.

It's very comfort food like, isn't it? It was for me.
Very much so. When I put the ingredients in my nutrition tracker to figure out the macros, I was quite surprised. I put two servings in a bowl and thought, this is waaay too much food. I couldnt finish what I served myself, as it was quite filling without being heavy on the calorie side.

This one will be a weekly make for me, especially for lunch meal prep.

Very much so. When I put the ingredients in my nutrition tracker to figure out the macros, I was quite surprised. I put two servings in a bowl and thought, this is waaay too much food. I couldnt finish what I served myself, as it was quite filling without being heavy on the calorie side.

This one will be a weekly make for me, especially for lunch meal prep.
Love that!

I do a couple of variations of that recipe; one with rice and another with elbow pasta

both with cheeses and peas/corn

Back