Grip tape gone bad?

GLG20

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Does grip tape have a shelf life? I started re-gripping some irons and the adhesive is sliding down the shaft as I slide on the grip. The tape is on a duct tape sized roll and is around 3yrs old.

I don't know about going bad, but once the solvent goes on some adhesive will slide down on the front edge of the grip and I would wipe it off. I now use air, so have not see that in a while. But I do think it is different for different tape brands. i.e. some brands have more adhesive slide than others.

I just finished a roll of tape that was several years old and it stayed in my shed, and never had a problem with it.

Man I hope not. I bet my roll is close to 4-5 years old at least.

If you have any residue of solvent on the shafts from grip pulls or such without wiping down it can and will happen. I’ve never had issues but haven’t had to use any that old. How cold was the tape?

I've found wiping the shaft with some acetone and hitting the tape with a little heat from a heat gun helps when the tape doesn't want to stick good.

I clean them with denatured alcohol before applying tape.

If you have any residue of solvent on the shafts from grip pulls or such without wiping down it can and will happen. I’ve never had issues but haven’t had to use any that old. How cold was the tape?
It was around 65F in the garage.
I ended up ordering a new roll from Golf Works. Thanks for the replies.

I havent had tape go back. I have had solution go bad. Only from Golf Works though.

I’ve had tape go bad but it was kept in a hot garage and was reeaallly old. Like 10 years old. Same thing I saw - eventually the sticky isn’t sticky any more.

Back