Graphite iron shaft lengths

mts25

Reaction score
Handicap
I've never played a graphite iron shaft before. However, I'm starting to have some elbow issues and I'd like to try some graphite iron shafts to see if that helps. I don't care anything about extra distance with lighter weight, etc. It's purely to try to reduce impact vibrations, etc.

I've re-shafted a few steel to steel iron shafts before and in looking at going graphite, the things I read are they typically run 1/4 to 1/2" longer than their steel counterparts because they are lighter and manufacturers typically try to achieve the same swing weight in the same set of heads with both their steel and graphite offerings.

In this instance, my steel shafts are 110 grams, mid-launch/mid-spin and I like the general weight of them. The graphite replacement shaft I've chosen is the UST Recoil 110 F4, which is also mid-launch and mid-spin and weighs between 107g for the 5 iron to 111g for the PW. I would think, in this specific instance, I would be keeping the graphite length very similar to the steel shafts I'm pulling out to keep the swing weight similar? If not, what am I missing?

both my iron sets are now graphite and I play them at standard length per OEM measurements

I know what you're saying and have read also about graphite running longer for the reasons you mentioned but my sets are just fine at length. Both were built to D4 - D5

The swingweight scale doesn’t know what your shafts are made out of. So if both models are spec at 110 grams and the balance points are similar, they should swingweight the same or very close at the same playing length.

Back