Golf Simulator Equipment Needed For Garage

collegefbfan

Reaction score
First off, I am, by no means, the expert here. I might phrase some things incorrectly. Bear with me. I have always been interested in a golf simulator ever since I saw one for the first time and practiced on one for the first time. I am actually more interested in one more than joining a country club. I am not sure of the things I need and what I can actually get away with as far as equipment goes. My budget is around (and don't laugh) $2,000 - $2,500.
  • I have a desktop and monitor and laptop that could be used.
  • I have a two car garage (height of rafters might be an issue with swinging, but that can be adjusted. My bro in law is a contractor and said he would fix that part for me)
  • I have a net if that is the least I have to have
The things I am unsure about:
  • I would like for the total ball fight to show up on the computer screen if I can't afford a screen (or a screen won't fit). Is this route even possible?
  • With what I want to create, do I go with something like the Rapsodo, Garmin Approach, FlightScope Mevo Portable or other
  • A good durable golf mat.
  • I am not sure if my garage will allow the correct projector throw distance
Is this even a possibility?

without a projector you will have all your info show up on computer or ipad, iphone or whatever other device your launch monitor connects too. my garage is 11w by 20 long. Rafters are 9.5 feet. I can swing all clubs besides driver and that is due more to the width of garage and it also serving as the pool cabana.

here is a pic but as others say you can do anything as long as you have room

sim1.jpg

Yeah, I have read a lot of that thread. I was just thinking what could be done without a projector. I will post a question there. Thanks.

For quite a while before I got a projector, I just had a target I hung up on my net. I'd hit at the target, and look look over at the TV I had connected to my laptop/simulator and watch the flight there.

Yeah, I have read a lot of that thread. I was just thinking what could be done without a projector. I will post a question there. Thanks.
Gotcha. I don't have a projector at all and hang a net up. I use my laptop plugged into the TV I hung on the wall and it works for me. But, I am planning to upgrade to a mini PC, short throw projector and screen this year. You said you have a 2 car garage and a short throw projector works well in that space.

PXL_20230622_143842618.jpg

For your budget the rapsodo mlm pro 2 or the discount on the skytrak make them the most comprehensive for your needs. Mats spend the money don't go for a 100 dollar whatever get something from sigpro, country club elite, fiber built, or swing turf if you can. Wittek I've heard is really durable but can't speak to it since I don't know anyone who has used it or used it.

2 car garage is fine as we practice in the same size garage. We use a net and a TV on the wall but a short throw projector will work issue becomes budget

For your budget the rapsodo mlm pro 2 or the discount on the skytrak make them the most comprehensive for your needs. Mats spend the money don't go for a 100 dollar whatever get something from sigpro, country club elite, fiber built, or swing turf if you can. Wittek I've heard is really durable but can't speak to it since I don't know anyone who has used it or used it.

2 car garage is fine as we practice in the same size garage. We use a net and a TV on the wall but a short throw projector will work issue becomes budget.
Many thanks to you all. I feel the space size related to length and width would be fine. I am worried about the height of where the projector would go. This will be hard to explain, but I will try. The rafters in my garage are all the same height from the floor then they peak up above that. My brother in law is thinking the area where we will be hitting from, he can cut those from that one spot and support them a different way. I know, from projectors that I have seen, most are behind the player swinging. I have seen some "simulator cages" with the projector mounted about 2 to 3 feet from the frame of the "cage".

Many thanks to you all. I feel the space size related to length and width would be fine. I am worried about the height of where the projector would go. This will be hard to explain, but I will try. The rafters in my garage are all the same height from the floor then they peak up above that. My brother in law is thinking the area where we will be hitting from, he can cut those from that one spot and support them a different way. I know, from projectors that I have seen, most are behind the player swinging. I have seen some "simulator cages" with the projector mounted about 2 to 3 feet from the frame of the "cage".
Yes the 2 to 3 feet is the short throw and they will probably not fit your budget.

Gotcha. I don't have a projector at all and hang a net up. I use my laptop plugged into the TV I hung on the wall and it works for me. But, I am planning to upgrade to a mini PC, short throw projector and screen this year. You said you have a 2 car garage and a short throw projector works well in that space.

View attachment 9258107
What's that crappy flag over there? 🤣🤣🤣

Yes the 2 to 3 feet is the short throw and they will probably not fit your budget.
Well, that is certainly good to know. Any chance of finding a short throw projector that is a year or two older that would work?

Well, that is certainly good to know. Any chance of finding a short throw projector that is a year or two older that would work?
Used BenQ HT2150ST maybe Epson pro, and optoma might be able to do it if you can find 1 at a good price. Optoma I think a lot of people use the gr2000hdr or something like that

You should check out this web site. THP is a great source for all things involving golf but this site is all about Golf Sims. You will find an almost unlimited amount of info on both hardware and software.

i just upgrades from my Epson powerlite 535w, great projector for widescreen, had it under 4' away from screen, but not so great for 4:3 screen. Upgraded to an optoma gt2000hdr which is shown in the picture. You can also floor mount the projector

Back