Golf shoe with strong toe that is resistance to wear?

ryebread

Reaction score
Handicap
Googolplex
Maybe I have a swing issue, but the right toe on my shoes always wears out. I hit a lot of range balls, and virtually every pair of shoes (sneakers, hiking boots, etc.) I have is worn out in the same place.

In case one might think there are some weird personal hygiene issues, I have super short toe nails, no sharp edges, etc.. Consider me a foot model. ;-)

I've been hesitant to buy golf shoes because of this issue. I am pretty sure that I'll wear out the toe far before I hardly even scuff the soles.

Are there any golf shoes with hard/strong toes? One would think this would be a common design element for golf shoes that wouldn't necessarily be a part of the design for a sneaker or hiking boot.

Are you wearing through the inside of the shoe or the outside? I'm a little confused reading your post.

I have a little bit of right foot action in my swing, and I've worn through the outer soles of the right golf shoe (at the tip of the toe) before.

I've played Callaway shoes for the last year or so. They have held up well. A pair of Adidas Adizeros also held up generally well (although the spikes on those really wore down quickly).

Surprisingly, a pair of Allen Edmonds golf shoes that I own wore down pretty quickly on the toe.

Years ago you could buy a toe guard that was typically used by baseball pitchers who would drag their toe on the follow through. I don't know if anything like that is still available.

I recommend Ecco. The Biom line has extra protection on the toes.

Ecco_BIOM_Hybrid_07.jpg
1427577-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I recommend Ecco. The Biom line has extra protection on the toes.

Ecco_BIOM_Hybrid_07.jpg
1427577-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Thanks. How hard/durable is the rubber on the toe of these? I ask because I have a pair of low top hiking boots with rubber in those spots, and I've worn right through them. I really like the looks of Eccos and this might give me another reason to buy a set.

ATLGolfer: Sorry if I was confusing. I'm wearing through them from the outside in.

The point I was trying to make is that I'm not someone with nasty feet that have horrible toe nails that are just going to eat through a shoe. I've never even pierced a sock despite all this shoe wear. It's not a situation where because of pointy, hard toe nails that it's causing premature wear.

During the last off season I really worked on my follow through. This had happened more slowly in the past, but once I improved that aspect of my swing, then it really accelerated the shoe wear.

Long story short, I hate to drop $100+ on a pair of golf shoes and wear them out in 10 rounds. I recently played 3 in 3 days and had two range sessions and can clearly see the wear on those shoes (that had previously never been used for golf).

I own 2 pairs of golf shoes...both of them are Adidas Powerband... the plastic type material on the sole extends up nearly to the top of the toe, which really stiffens the leather in the toe...event though the leather feels pretty soft and comfy in the sport where your toes meet your foot and bend. I have been using these shoes for 3 years now... every time I play or go to a range I wear them, and other than replacing spikes on them fairly regularly I have had no durability issues at all..

And they can be found for 45-60 bucks pretty easily on the internet. Give them a try and if they do wear out on you like all your other shoes you will only be out half as much money.

If you can't find a shoe shifting your weight properly and posting on your left side will help a lot vs hanging and turning on your right. Should leave less than 10% weight on your right side through the swing. I sprained my right toe way back and learned to shift my weight properly the hard way. Since then I can hit balls in flip flops for all it matters.

Just a thought, but are you wearing out/through the end of the toebox, or more to the side of the toe?

For years, I used to blow out shoes of all types on the outside of the big toe. Got pricey when it was golf shoes. After a trip to a podiatrist to check on orthotics, I found out I was 4/5E and anything I bought that "fit" lengthwise was going to blow out because it just wasn't wide enough when I actually wore them. I could get them on in the store, but during use they got destroyed.

It's most likely a weight shift issue as Christopher mentions. If I don't "stay back" though when I shift the weight then I hit down on the driver and cause all sorts of issues. I lead with a weight transition.

Jmatt: It's more through the end and the top. My feet are more narrow. I wore narrow shoes (AAA) for years, but am now up to a medium.

darnall: Thanks for the tip on the Powerband.

great thread. I have mutant toes where my second toe is longer than my big toe (not that uncommon), but my third toe is longer than my second toe (wuh????)! so when I post up in the follow through, I need lots of toe support. I've been wearing true linkswear senseis for about a year, and I have black and blue toenails to prove the lack of support in the toes of those shoes. at $150, those Ecco bioms really have my interest, not to mention how good they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great thread. I have mutant toes where my second toe is longer than my big toe (not that uncommon), but my third toe is longer than my second toe (wuh????)!

For the people who doubt that aliens walk among us...here's some indisputable proof.... hahaha

I have ecco bio. The toe is tough 1/8-1/4 inch thick? I think you will wear through spikes first. They seem very "toe durable"

There is a product called "TuffToe" designed for baseball pitchers.
My brother uses this on his soccer cleats and it's helped them last quite a bit longer than usual.

I would 2nd the Eccos. I haven't had mine long enough to comment on their durability, but they sure are comfy!

I picked up some Ecco Bioms this weekend. Amazingly, in person, I really liked the gray and green ones.

We'll see how they hold up. I haven't decided on whether to wear them on the range. I think that's where I wear most of my shoes out.

I am late to replying to this thread but at the range last night I had on my Nike TW13s and I think they have a significant of "toe area" protection
715S6vEETNL._UX575_.jpg

I picked up some Ecco Bioms this weekend. Amazingly, in person, I really liked the gray and green ones.

We'll see how they hold up. I haven't decided on whether to wear them on the range. I think that's where I wear most of my shoes out.

I bought biom hybrids today. I wanted a different color, but didn't want to wait. so I ended up with black and purple. I'm not a black and purple guy! I'm playing my first round with them on Friday.

I bought biom hybrids today. I wanted a different color, but didn't want to wait. so I ended up with black and purple. I'm not a black and purple guy! I'm playing my first round with them on Friday.

Hope you enjoy them. I really love mine, that Yak leather is so damn comfortable right out of the box

I just got a pair on Sunday - haven't worn them yet, but I hope the toe holds up, it sure seems like it should!
Clearance sale at PGA SS, btw

Hope you enjoy them. I really love mine, that Yak leather is so damn comfortable right out of the box

for the first time I can remember, my feet don't hurt after my round of golf. these biom hybrids are wonderful. comfy, plenty of toe support, and I don't hate the black and purple after all! i only have a white belt, but I found a black j lindeberg slater on saks fifth ave website for $38, instead of $110 everywhere else.

Back