Golf Marketing Successes That Surprised You

OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
So a little twist on the post @JB started earlier, what golf products have been really successful that you just didn't think would go anywhere?

First one that comes to mind for me is Callaway's Truvis golf balls. I remember when I first started seeing them, my friends and I all thought the same thing, "why in the world would anyone want a golf ball that looks like a soccer ball?"

What comes to mind for you?

I’d say the Mizuno micro dimple 566 and 566V. At first I didn’t like the V but the more I played it and had better strikes, to my eye made me think there is something to it and became a fan of the ball. Got some of the 566 to try and w/o scientific proof, I feel the micro dimple is legit.

High toe wedges

Chrome Soft. While “the ball that changed the ball” was an interesting catchphrase I didn’t think it would garner as much success as it did. I don’t think golfers like change (club purchases aside) so calling out a change was an interesting approach to me. Callaway continues to build on that success so guess that’s why I’m not in marketing.

That’s a good and to piggy back, full face. PM Grind hit the ground running and now everybody has it

Hopefully everyone sent a thank you note to Edel.

Hopefully everyone sent a thank you note to Edel.
Now that is the perfect parallel of not good marketing. Thankfully a lot has changed the last couple of years

I know some of these are more design/concept successes, but the new ideas needed the marketing push to make them successful. Another big one for me was spikeless golf shoes. I was like, really, what difference are they going to be than my everyday athletic shoes? Some of the early ones weren't much better than your everyday shoes, but wow, look at them now! I have several pairs of golf shoes, and all but one pair are spikeless.

TaylorMades Ballzier RBZ2, sold unbelievably well but Ballzier? Really?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

High toe wedges
That’s a good and to piggy back, full face. PM Grind hit the ground running and now everybody has it
Chrome Soft. While “the ball that changed the ball” was an interesting catchphrase I didn’t think it would garner as much success as it did. I don’t think golfers like change (club purchases aside) so calling out a change was an interesting approach to me. Callaway continues to build on that success so guess that’s why I’m not in marketing.

These were the tops that came to mind for me.as well!

For recent stuff I have to go with Srixon’s Divides. I did not expect those to get as popular as they are.

Back