Golf at the Olympics

Spaceman_Spiff

Reaction score
Firestone CO, north of Denver about 20 mins
Handicap
Hey guys,

started reading a thread about america vs. the world and came up about Golf in the olympics might be a better comparison to why there is a drought of US players winning majors.

Here is an interesting article that some might have already seen regarding Golf in the Olympics.

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/mar/05/olympics-coming-golf-world-turns-brazil/

I was surprised a little that the course builder hasn't been selected yet considering its 5 years away and it takes some time to build a course.

"Local governments will handle the cost of building or revamping a course for the Olympic competition, which will consist of a 72-hole stroke-play event for men and women, with 60 players in each field."

I think a match play event tied into this would be a little more interesting because I would cheer for Team USA as opposed to just Phil or Tiger.

I'm interested to see how the players will be picked for the US and the max number of players any country is allowed to have with only a 60 person field?

My friends and I were having this discussion over the weekend, and we all agreed that it would be a lot more fun to watch a match play event so we could root for TEAM USA rather than just a few golfers that were from the USA. Especially in the setting like the Olympics which the main goal is to have our country win. Even though they could still do stroke play and add scores together to find which country would win, but the head to head competition of match play would be so much more fun to watch.

Back