GHIN & Oregon Golf Association

Gusset

Reaction score
Handicap
I live in the Vancouver, WA area. I play most of my rounds at Tri Mountain, with occasional rounds at other courses in the area. My brother has been encouraging me to get a handicap so I can join him in the occasional tournament when I visit him in Medford. Unfortunately, joining the Tri Mountain Men's Club doesn't seem like an option, as they play on days/times that don't work for me.

I went online and joined the OGA SW Washington Chapter, paid the fee, and have started entering scores into GHIN to establish a handicap. These aren't scores I'm submitting to or through a golf course club; it's just me, entering my scores into GHIN based on my OGA membership. I don't usually play with club members, just whoever I am grouped with.

Two questions:

1. Will this be an acceptable handicap if I show up to play at an OGA tournament?
2. If answer to #1 is "yes": I keep score on my phone when playing a round (not with the GHIN app). Does this matter, or should I start using/saving manual score cards in case a tournament official wants to audit?

I've tried to find an adequate resource to answer these questions, but some of it seems a bit ambiguous. OGA's internet resources don't really mention anything about either of these- just join and start entering scores. But other online search results I've read seem to assume you're entering scores at a club.

1.) I imagine they can do whatever they want to do when it comes to requirements for tournament entries, but if you have a legitimate handicap through GHIN they should accept it. If you're in doubt, send an e-mail to OGA and ask them.

2.) A lot of people nowadays are posting their scores directly to GHIN via their phone or computer. My course has a computer in the member's room where you can post scores, but I don't see many people using it and I don't see what difference it would make if I was posting there or from my own phone or computer at home. Again, that should be something that OGA would be willing to answer via an e-mail. I don't play much tournament golf, but I've never heard of a tournament asking for scorecards to audit. That would consume a lot of their time and resources.

I live in the Vancouver, WA area. I play most of my rounds at Tri Mountain, with occasional rounds at other courses in the area. My brother has been encouraging me to get a handicap so I can join him in the occasional tournament when I visit him in Medford. Unfortunately, joining the Tri Mountain Men's Club doesn't seem like an option, as they play on days/times that don't work for me.

I went online and joined the OGA SW Washington Chapter, paid the fee, and have started entering scores into GHIN to establish a handicap. These aren't scores I'm submitting to or through a golf course club; it's just me, entering my scores into GHIN based on my OGA membership. I don't usually play with club members, just whoever I am grouped with.

Two questions:

1. Will this be an acceptable handicap if I show up to play at an OGA tournament? YES; The requirement is that you 1) Be part of a valid club in the Association (OGA) 2) Play with someone (you do not have to know them or they be part of your same club) 3) enter the scores into the system - your phone, pc or the computer at any club if they have one.
2. If answer to #1 is "yes": I keep score on my phone when playing a round (not with the GHIN app). Does this matter, or should I start using/saving manual score cards in case a tournament official wants to audit? You need to enter your score into the GHIN app post the round. You don't have to keep your cards - you just have to enter your score in 2 different places. I do the same - I use Golflogix for stats and score while on the course; but then enter in GHIN afterwards.

I've tried to find an adequate resource to answer these questions, but some of it seems a bit ambiguous. OGA's internet resources don't really mention anything about either of these- just join and start entering scores. But other online search results I've read seem to assume you're entering scores at a club.

1. Will this be an acceptable handicap if I show up to play at an OGA tournament? YES; The requirement is that you 1) Be part of a valid club in the Association (OGA) 2) Play with someone (you do not have to know them or they be part of your same club) 3) enter the scores into the system - your phone, pc or the computer at any club if they have one.
2. If answer to #1 is "yes": I keep score on my phone when playing a round (not with the GHIN app). Does this matter, or should I start using/saving manual score cards in case a tournament official wants to audit? You need to enter your score into the GHIN app post the round. You don't have to keep your car

A year late on this one but I was trawling through the regional threads and saw that you're in OR! I'm moving there shortly and I'm very curious about tri-mountain. How do you like the track?? Any others in the area that you would recommend? I was out there last week and played the reserve south course and witch hollow. Both were amazing but man the roll those greens fast out there! Couldn't get a chip to check for the life of me!!

A year late on this one but I was trawling through the regional threads and saw that you're in OR! I'm moving there shortly and I'm very curious about tri-mountain. How do you like the track?? Any others in the area that you would recommend? I was out there last week and played the reserve south course and witch hollow. Both were amazing but man the roll those greens fast out there! Couldn't get a chip to check for the life of me!!
There's a lot to like about Tri Mountain. I find it pretty difficult and a good challenge. A lot of water holes, and most holes have some very heavy rough to contend with if you go too far off line...if you hit it off-line, watch your ball flight! Don't turn away in disgust or you may not find it. Greens roll fairly fast, and a lot of them are multi-tiered and somewhat undulated. Most greens are protected by multiple bunkers so it's easy to get suckered if you go pin hunting.

I usually tee off in the afternoon, and the wind gradually picks up as the day progresses. It's usually blowing 10-20 mph by 4 or 5PM. #15, short par 3, has some kind of wind vortex thing going on...I always take at least one extra club no matter which way the wind looks to be blowing, and still I'm short most of the time.

With the Ridgeline Card ($100), you get $10 off for most 18 hole green fees, twilight rates start at 1PM instead of 3, and Friday is weekday rates (Friday is same rates as Sat/Sun without it).

As with most courses in this region, by late morning/early afternoon congestion has set in, and I generally expect 18 holes to take 4.5 hours.

Also check out Heron Lakes, just south of the Columbia River off I-5. 36 holes, good courses. Beyond those, I don't play much on the Oregon side. Camas Meadows in Camas (surprise) is maybe the most immaculate public course in the area. Not particularly long, but quite narrow and challenging; there's a reason it's got a 136 slope (I think). Many tees are a 2+ minute walk from the previous green, so if you're walking try to make sure you're not with anyone driving a cart. About 40 minutes north is another course I like to play, called Lewis River Golf Course. Short front nine but a longer back nine that includes a par 5 that's 608 from the whites. Not immaculate like Camas Meadows, but a nice course, kind of a hidden jewel in a rural area, very peaceful and serene (except for some Saturday mornings when a nearby dirt bike track has an event). One drawback is that its driving range can only hold about a 180 yard shot before the ball would hit the #9 fairway.

Wow I rambled there. Hope it's helpful.

There's a lot to like about Tri Mountain. I find it pretty difficult and a good challenge. A lot of water holes, and most holes have some very heavy rough to contend with if you go too far off line...if you hit it off-line, watch your ball flight! Don't turn away in disgust or you may not find it. Greens roll fairly fast, and a lot of them are multi-tiered and somewhat undulated. Most greens are protected by multiple bunkers so it's easy to get suckered if you go pin hunting.

I usually tee off in the afternoon, and the wind gradually picks up as the day progresses. It's usually blowing 10-20 mph by 4 or 5PM. #15, short par 3, has some kind of wind vortex thing going on...I always take at least one extra club no matter which way the wind looks to be blowing, and still I'm short most of the time.

With the Ridgeline Card ($100), you get $10 off for most 18 hole green fees, twilight rates start at 1PM instead of 3, and Friday is weekday rates (Friday is same rates as Sat/Sun without it).

As with most courses in this region, by late morning/early afternoon congestion has set in, and I generally expect 18 holes to take 4.5 hours.

Also check out Heron Lakes, just south of the Columbia River off I-5. 36 holes, good courses. Beyond those, I don't play much on the Oregon side. Camas Meadows in Camas (surprise) is maybe the most immaculate public course in the area. Not particularly long, but quite narrow and challenging; there's a reason it's got a 136 slope (I think). Many tees are a 2+ minute walk from the previous green, so if you're walking try to make sure you're not with anyone driving a cart. About 40 minutes north is another course I like to play, called Lewis River Golf Course. Short front nine but a longer back nine that includes a par 5 that's 608 from the whites. Not immaculate like Camas Meadows, but a nice course, kind of a hidden jewel in a rural area, very peaceful and serene (except for some Saturday mornings when a nearby dirt bike track has an event). One drawback is that its driving range can only hold about a 180 yard shot before the ball would hit the #9 fairway.

I just saved your reply to a google doc! Thanks for taking the time to write such well thought out answer! I'll be out there starting in June. Lets try to get a round in!!

Oh do you ever make it out to pumpkin ridge? If so, thought?

Back