Getting the right width of golf shoe!

homerun79

Reaction score
Handicap
Just thought I'd share my experience with some FJ shoes, because I wore a pair of Contours for the last year in size 10 Regular/Medium, and I just replaced them with the 2011 model. I chose Wide this time because FJ's site had a shoe fitting tip that says, if the width of the lacing area is more than 5/8" you may want to go up a size!

Also if your laces are tied up and seem unusually short, try the wide model, they may seem a little loose in the width, but overall I'm more comfortable after 18 holes now!

Because I was wearing too narrow a shoe the extra pressure put on the sides of the shoe above the sole, was probably part of the reason the waterproofing abilities failed... you could see cracks above the rubber sole around the front half of the shoe.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Cheers

I have struggled with some of this before. As many know on this site, I have a shoe problem. I like my golf shoes. The problem with wide for me, is that I have a narrower heel. So it ends up causing some slippage around the heel in wide rather than medium.

In the end, this one FJ junkie made a few switches and found shoes from other brands might have opened the door to new and extreme comfort. I still like my FJs, but comparing them to a few others from this year is just not fair. Better fit, softer leather, and more comfort.

Keep us in the loop on how it is working for you and if you are seeing and slipping around your heel.

This is more of a rant than a reply. I measure at a 10 regular, but I can't tell you the last time I wore that size. Recently, I bought a pair of Adidas Powerbands. I HAD TO TAKE AN 11 1/2 WIDE and they are still narrow at the toe!
I also bought a pair of Nike TW Air Zoom (squarer toes). The first pair was a 10 1/2 Wide and they were too tight. Tried the 11 Wide and they are loose... go figure.
Bought a pair of Ecco Street Premiers and had to get the equivelant of an 11 1/2 WIDE and still had to stretch the right shoe a bit.

The toe areas if shoes are too narrow and pointy. I measured myself AGAIN and I definately measure at a 10 REGULAR. I think the quality control overseas is probably to blame.

Those shoe ruler things do not measure volume so even when I measured as a 10 Regular width, I have extra volume since I am above the average weight for a guy my height, so the 10 Wide works that out lol...

JB, I tried the Tour 360 4.0's last nite at Golftown and wow, those are flat out the most comfortable shoes I've stepped into. Everyones praises are definately on the money with that model! Too bad that the season gets wet and muddy for us in BC right now, hard to buy a $250 pair of golf shoes lol...

Back