Getting over the (range) hump

sacul1573

What's a GIR?
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a problem. I'm hitting balls very consitently on the range. Dropping irons on the 100/150/175 greens every time, drawing/fading or high/low working the ball intentionally sometimes. Driving straight with a small draw out to the 230-250 range.

Why is this a problem you ask?

Because I can't translate this to my game on the course. It's absolutely horribly amazing. Small bucket of balls on the range, everything's great. Step onto the first tee, and my game turns into a wreck. :banghead:

I've been making more of an effort to play more holes, less range time, thinking I'd get more comfortable on the course, to no avail. I truely think if I could successfully translate my "range" game to my game on the course, I'd easily be a single digit handicap.

Anyone else have (had) this problem? What to do to overcome it?

I've got this problem.... going through a small swing change which I hope will help correct a lot of my swing flaws, which will hopefully translate into better performance on the course.

But as to why it happens.... no idea. I'm just hopeful for the future and that it goes away......

I've found that range success or failure never translates to the course for me. Sounds to me that either 1) it's all in your head or 2) the conditions at the range are totally different (i.e. grass length, mats vs real grass).

I know the feeling. But lately I've been having the same game on course and range. I think as someone once told me, it come with practice. At some point it clicks and what you do on the range, makes it to the course. I think it's all in our minds to be honest. I've noticed if I have a swing thought I can use each time, it normally triggers the same swing. But I still stink sometimes lol.

I'm thinking more routine on shots. If you have a repeatable routine that you could use both on the range and on the course then you have that bit of continuation from range to course.

Another thing to consider is that at the range you are hitting balls off of consistent lies and in fairly rapid succession. On the course it is the direct opposite.
I try to take my time at the range and go through my whole pre-shot routine with each ball. I will also give myself a bad lie or hit out of a divot on purpose.
It really makes a difference to me in my consistency on and off the course.

^ Stepping up, having a routine and constantly changing clubs, shots is very important.

Think of this as a putt. If I randomly gave you a 6 foot putt, you're likely to miss it. However, if I give you that SAME putt 20 times, I'd bet that by the end, your success rate will be pretty high. HOWEVER, if we move to a completely different part of the green for a different 6 foot putt, your prior success wouldn't translate.

In essence, there's no mulligans, 2nd tries, etc on the golf course. You need to practice being successful on the first try which is why changing your shots, clubs and having a pre-shot routine that you use on the driving range is important.

If I were working on a specific power fade tonight and hit 100 balls without stopping or changing clubs, I'm confident that by the end I'd be hitting a pretty damn nice power fade. It doesn't mean I'm gonna be able to do it on the first hole the next morning though. That takes me being able to hit that shot on command, which takes a lot more practice than learning to finally do it after 100 tries.

^ Stepping up, having a routine and constantly changing clubs, shots is very important.

Think of this as a putt. If I randomly gave you a 6 foot putt, you're likely to miss it. However, if I give you that SAME putt 20 times, I'd bet that by the end, your success rate will be pretty high. HOWEVER, if we move to a completely different part of the green for a different 6 foot putt, your prior success wouldn't translate.

In essence, there's no mulligans, 2nd tries, etc on the golf course. You need to practice being successful on the first try which is why changing your shots, clubs and having a pre-shot routine that you use on the driving range is important.

If I were working on a specific power fade tonight and hit 100 balls without stopping or changing clubs, I'm confident that by the end I'd be hitting a pretty damn nice power fade. It doesn't mean I'm gonna be able to do it on the first hole the next morning though. That takes me being able to hit that shot on command, which takes a lot more practice than learning to finally do it after 100 tries.

Great advice!!! Very smart for a young grasshopper!

In the book, Every Shot Must Have A Purpose, they suggest playing a hole in your head as a way to transfer range practice to the course. Imagine playing a par 5. Hit your drive, your 2nd shot, then an approach. Chip if you need to. This way you don't get into a groove hitting the same iron.

Man - I'm with ya. I am a bit of a "range hero" myself. I think a lot of what damages my game is mental. Sometimes, I don't even notice it, and after a bad swing I realize that all my muscles are tense. The more golf I play, and the less pressure I put on myself for each shot, the easier it gets to put that "range swing" on the ball. I agree with much of what has been said already, namely sticking to your pre-shot routine, so when you're out on the course, it's familiar. I also only spill out 10 or so balls from the basket at a time, which helps me take breaks, slow down and not just blast away until there are no more balls.

I played a mental par-5 last time at the range, and damned if I didn't birdie it! Nice straight drive, followed by nice (a little thin) hybrid, and then a high, straight pitching wedge. Amazing what golf I'm capable of when I relax and focus!

I have a problem. I'm hitting balls very consitently on the range. Dropping irons on the 100/150/175 greens every time, drawing/fading or high/low working the ball intentionally sometimes. Driving straight with a small draw out to the 230-250 range.

Fellow Cheesehead. While on the course, do you pick very specific targets? Do you work the ball? Is it possible that maybe you're actually more focused on what type of shot you're trying to hit while on the range than you are while on the course.

After a productive range session, try playing a round of golf where you pick a very exact target for every shot you hit, and try to work the ball to that spot. Off the tee pick a corner of a bunker, or a tree branch way in the distance. Take that target as a starting point and carve the shot into the fairway. I find elevated targets work best off the tee. For approach shots pick a very specific spot on the green where you want it to land, then pick/swing at a target that allows you to work the ball into that spot. A bunker corner, a tree branch behind the green, a rake, etc. Also think about the trajectory of the shot you're trying to hit. Try to control the ball.

I may be way off on this, but I know when I play my best, I'm always hitting very specific kinds of shots. If I get out there and just try to hit the ball in the fairway, or try to hit the middle of the green, I think my swing gets sloppy. I'm better off thinking high, low, fade, draw, etc.

Just a thought.

Kevin

Thanks all. I think I do tend to get into a rythm with one club at the range. I will start varying my club each shot, and focus more on my preshot routine.

Fellow Cheesehead. While on the course, do you pick very specific targets? Do you work the ball? Is it possible that maybe you're actually more focused on what type of shot you're trying to hit while on the range than you are while on the course.

After a productive range session, try playing a round of golf where you pick a very exact target for every shot you hit, and try to work the ball to that spot. Off the tee pick a corner of a bunker, or a tree branch way in the distance. Take that target as a starting point and carve the shot into the fairway. I find elevated targets work best off the tee. For approach shots pick a very specific spot on the green where you want it to land, then pick/swing at a target that allows you to work the ball into that spot. A bunker corner, a tree branch behind the green, a rake, etc. Also think about the trajectory of the shot you're trying to hit. Try to control the ball.

I may be way off on this, but I know when I play my best, I'm always hitting very specific kinds of shots. If I get out there and just try to hit the ball in the fairway, or try to hit the middle of the green, I think my swing gets sloppy. I'm better off thinking high, low, fade, draw, etc.

Just a thought.

Kevin

Actually Kevin, I think this hits pretty close to home. On the range I tend to get more comfortable if I'm telling myself what type of shot I want to hit, whereas on the course I'm telling myself to aim to a certain point (middle right fairway, middle left green, etc), but not thinking about working the ball. I'm just trying to hit it straight.

Looking back at my last few rounds, the good shots that I've hit, it's been when I'm forced to think about the ball flight on that shot. A low wedge, fade hybrid, etc. Also, my trouble shots seem to have better consitancy than middle of the fairway shots. Maybe I'm focusing too much on swing thoughts, and not enough on visualizing the shot.

This will probably end as a few rounds with alot of errant shots, but I think it's worth a try. Hopefully, after a few rounds, this will help.

I do it too. Imagine how bad it would be without all the practice though. In my game I let the course or shot overwhelm the common sense, range sense. It did force me to overhaul my swing this year though. Still working on that, I hope it takes.

IMHO I think there is more tension out on the course than at the range. A shot on the range doesn't count, it does on the course. It IS all in our minds, as others have suggested. Same golfer, same clubs, but...

A shot is a shot is a shot. What's different? Only what goes through our head. :)

Initial reaction was to jump on the mental aspect of this. Swinging away at the range can certainly groove a swing. And just "mindlessly" swinging away there is no pressure. Out on the course it's a whole different ball game. Suddenly every stroke counts.

Then I read the posts regarding picking specific targets, and that makes just as much sense. I know when I pick specific spots to shoot at, my success rate goes up dramatically.

Thanks all. I think I do tend to get into a rythm with one club at the range. I will start varying my club each shot, and focus more on my preshot routine.
Good idea! I sometimes play a fake round at the range, changing clubs as appropriate: Hole #1 tee shot, approach (and little pitch if I decide I missed the green), hole #2 tee-shot, etc.. It is fun. It is too easy to think you're getting good when you hit a number of shots with one club at the range, and to forget that on the course you get to play the first ball, not the fifth or sixth 'grooved' attempt!

...Then I read the posts regarding picking specific targets, and that makes just as much sense. I know when I pick specific spots to shoot at, my success rate goes up dramatically.
I got a lot out of that post as well. While I enjoy hitting at the range, I often fall into the trap of hitting the ball without picking a specific target and going through a pre-shot routine like I do on the course. I seem to be just the opposite of the OP - I usually find it easier to hit a decent shot on the course than I do on the range.

A nice old chap told me if you dont paint the picture how can you play to it. I like to watch olazabel- at set up he will move his eyes to his target and back several times and you can see how strong he is focusing on the picture, is a great inspiration for me. Good luck

Try playing the first few holes at the range before you finish. Hit driver then wedge. Maybe next a 5 iron to a par 3. Don't just keep hitting 10 of each. How often do you hit 10 wedges in a row on the course?

Try playing the first few holes at the range before you finish. Hit driver then wedge. Maybe next a 5 iron to a par 3. Don't just keep hitting 10 of each. How often do you hit 10 wedges in a row on the course?

That all depends on whether or not the shanks have reared their ugly head or not :banghead:. But in all honesty Borss mentions it perfectly. After I get about 10 balls in just to get my back stretched out I'll play a few holes in my head. Picture a different hole and work down through your normal shots while paying attention to your routine. I struggled for many years just wanting to smash drives on the range and then walk over to the course and blow up. This is the only way I was able to break it.

Why is this a problem you ask?

Because I can't translate this to my game on the course. It's absolutely horribly amazing. Small bucket of balls on the range, everything's great. Step onto the first tee, and my game turns into a wreck. :banghead:

I've been making more of an effort to play more holes, less range time, thinking I'd get more comfortable on the course, to no avail. I truely think if I could successfully translate my "range" game to my game on the course, I'd easily be a single digit handicap.

Anyone else have (had) this problem? What to do to overcome it?

Join the club, man. When the balls mean something they shrink and become harder to hit. My front 9 yesterday wasn't good. I finally realized I was trying to hit too hard and it was screwing with my tempo. I told my playing partners that I was getting my money's worth out of the club using the heel and the toe and not just playing my shots in the center. After the turn I made a conscious effort to slow things down and once I did that I started striking the ball better.

I hit a lot of good balls yesterday but I also hit a lot of bad ones.

Back