Getting on Sand Hills Golf Club - Mullen NE

BuffaloPlunger

2024 GolfTEC Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone been able to get on without being invited by a member? My understanding was they will occasionally allow very limited amounts of public play but I can’t seem to find anything about the process and the course doesn’t have a website.

Has anyone been able to get on without being invited by a member? My understanding was they will occasionally allow very limited amounts of public play but I can’t seem to find anything about the process and the course doesn’t have a website.

Only way is as an invited guest by a member.

Previously, you could write a letter asking for a 'one-time ever' round. But that stopped.

There is an auction each year which you can bid on for a round - usually around $10-20K for the 4some.

Previously, you could write a letter asking for a 'one-time ever' round. But that stopped.

There is an auction each year which you can bid on for a round - usually around $10-20K for the 4some.
Darn, that’s disappointing to hear

I know letters were still accepted last year for this year's play, did they stop it after that for 2024?

I know letters were still accepted last year for this year's play, did they stop it after that for 2024?
In prior year would you just mail them a letter?

In prior year would you just mail them a letter?
Yup, I've known a couple who have done it, one even played this year. You write a letter, and then they go through them and select for the next year. I don't know if it's a very formal or casual process. Never hurts to send something! Just in case they respond!!!

Just tell 'em you're a course reviewer for THP;)

Ok...clarification. The letter thing has not stopped. However, the chances/opportunities getting on via that route are just much smaller. Apparently, the # of requests have skied, plus the general increased play from members leaves a significantly reduced opportunity. And it is the Dir of Golf who makes the determination; not the owner anymore. Even accompanied play has been curtailed to one request per season.

So give it a go with the letter: The club honors polite and sincere hand-written letters from avid golfers and students of golf course architecture looking to experience the course on a one-time basis. If you are gracious and flexible (weekends are almost definitely a no-go) you might get a tee time.

Or get you 4 some thru an auction. Here is one of the most recent ones: about 3k per golfer for 2 rounds and 1 night.

1691534841467.png

1.) None of the players can have been unaccompanied guests previously at the Sand Hills Golf Club.
2.) Given the difficulty of the golf course, we prefer guests have certified handicaps not greater than 18 and 25 for men and women respectively.

Just tell 'em you're a course reviewer for THP;)
Oh I’ll for sure drop I’m on THP. Also, I’ll be reaching out because I’d love to drive up and play a round!

Ok...clarification. The letter thing has not stopped. However, the chances/opportunities getting on via that route are just much smaller. Apparently, the # of requests have skied, plus the general increased play from members leaves a significantly reduced opportunity. And it is the Dir of Golf who makes the determination; not the owner anymore. Even accompanied play has been curtailed to one request per season.

So give it a go with the letter: The club honors polite and sincere hand-written letters from avid golfers and students of golf course architecture looking to experience the course on a one-time basis. If you are gracious and flexible (weekends are almost definitely a no-go) you might get a tee time.

Or get you 4 some thru an auction. Here is one of the most recent ones: about 3k per golfer for 2 rounds and 1 night.

View attachment 9197596

1.) None of the players can have been unaccompanied guests previously at the Sand Hills Golf Club.
2.) Given the difficulty of the golf course, we prefer guests have certified handicaps not greater than 18 and 25 for men and women respectively.
This was super helpful! Thank you!

View attachment 9197596

So if I'm a member, I can only take a guest with me once per year ... that particular guest can only be my accompanied guest once that year?

Just as an update, I sent a letter back in August and September. I haven’t heard anything and at this point I’m not expecting to😂

I just got my note back saying I was on the waitlist, but also had a member reach out and say they'd be willing to be my sponsor, can't wait to try and find a date to make it work, the letter did work!

I just got my note back saying I was on the waitlist, but also had a member reach out and say they'd be willing to be my sponsor, can't wait to try and find a date to make it work, the letter did work!
Out of curiosity, when did you send your letter in? I think I sent mine in August and had all but given up hope😂 Wondering if I may get one

Edit: My wife would probably kill me if I took another trip😂

Out of curiosity, when did you send your letter in? I think I sent mine in August and had all but given up hope😂 Wondering if I may get one

Edit: My wife would probably kill me if I took another trip😂
I sent it towards the end of last year maybe November of 2023. My response came via email, but it had a no reply email address so I sent a follow-up letter in response.

I sent it towards the end of last year maybe November of 2023. My response came via email, but it had a no reply email address so I sent a follow-up letter in response.
An okay, you just killed my hopes lol

Back