JetSpeed

Reaction score
Handicap
Super foggy this morning but we played anyway. Visibility was between 50-75 yards. You could see your drives take off and get an initial line on them. Then you could just baaaaarely start to see if they had any fade or draw. After that they just disappeared into oblivion. You walk down the fairway after them and hope for the best. Had 80/90yd wedges that I couldn’t see land. I thought it would burn off but it stayed that way the whole round (we finished at 9:45 am). Pretty wild day but also fun in a weird way.

Here are a couple of pics of greens, each from 75yds. In person you could just barely make out where the green should be, and could not see the flag at all. Even from that close. We only got away with it because it’s our home course and we know it well. Good times!20240429_071452.jpeg20240429_083827.jpeg

Last edited:
At certain times of the year, we experience similar issues but due to darkness, teeing off before even first light much less sunrise. "It sounded like it went left", or some similar "sounded like..." or "I think it went..." comment is often heard with the three not teeing off straining to see which way the ball is going! :D

Only had to do that, play in press pea soup once for one hole. 3 some in Myrtle beach. Ironically found all 3 tee shots.

Had to share...one of the foggier mornings I remember. Used to work at a club in Narragansett, RI near the ocean and we had a lot of foggy mornings. This was on day 2 of our 5 day member guest. I stood out in the fairway with a radio while another assistant was on the tee telling me where they were flying :ROFLMAO: View from the tee and FW.

IMG_5247.jpg
IMG_5253.jpg

At certain times of the year, we experience similar issues but due to darkness, teeing off before even first light much less sunrise. "It sounded like it went left", or some similar "sounded like..." or "I think it went..." comment is often heard with the three not teeing off straining to see which way the ball is going! :D
We always play as early as possible so I can relate. Looks like we’re in the same area. Where do you normally play? Pics above are at Westridge.

I’ve seen groups at Sherrill Park go out in complete darkness with glow balls but I try to wait until there’s at least a hint of light.

Last edited:
Only had to do that, play in press pea soup once for one hole. 3 some in Myrtle beach. Ironically found all 3 tee shots.
Surprisingly we didn’t lose any balls today. It took some serious teamwork on a few holes, but we always managed to find them. Some luck involved there for sure.

So weird walking up to a green and having zero idea who is who.

Happened to us a few times in Scotland. It's a different experience.

I'm up just north of you in Lewisville. It was thick this morning. Kudos to you for fighting through it!

We always play as early as possible so I can relate. Looks like we’re in the same area. Where do you normally play? Pics above are at Westridge.

I’ve seen groups at Sherrill Park go out in complete darkness with glow balls but I try to wait until there’s at least a hint of light.
That is a positive thing to see at Sherrill Park. Events at that course were the final straw that pushed me to join a private club. Don't know if it was the shirtless group, the guy driving onto the bunker on the hole in front of the clubhouse, the 5 1/2 hour round, or the marshal yelling at me for being a single as I was waiting for two groups to clear on a par three.

That is a positive thing to see at Sherrill Park. Events at that course were the final straw that pushed me to join a private club. Don't know if it was the shirtless group, the guy driving onto the bunker on the hole in front of the clubhouse, the 5 1/2 hour round, or the marshal yelling at me for being a single as I was waiting for two groups to clear on a par three.
Currently looking at doing the same tbh. But we’re probably moving in the next 6-12 months so I need to see where we land first. Drive time to the course is a big deal to me.

We used to belong and play at Westridge. One of our guys was a member there from the day they opened, so for about 18 years or so. They jacked their membership costs up so much a few years ago that we had to find somewhere else to play more reasonably priced as we play every weekday, so we went and joined The Bridges up in Gunter for a couple of years. Their cost of membership increased, too, so we joined Oak Hollow last January. It is the best deal in town, cost-wise.

It helps to know the course. I have played a couple rounds this year where I had to visualize the green complexes on the first couple holes. They were completely fogged in. I can’t imagine how tough it would be to play “blind” on a new course.

Played many foggy holes at Torrey over the years. Having to listen for the group in front to yell all clear in the fairway or all clear on the green, then aim for where that voice came from adds a new twist.

Had that couple of times over the years , one day we played with 40 metres visibility, hit and hope , it cleared up after 7 ish holes to glorious day .

played in a tourney once and it looked like some of these pictures on here. the person running the tourney came out and said we had to play or else. of course, we played and the first 2 holes were a mess and seemed to take 30 mins themselves. fortunately, it cleared by the 3rd hole

played in a tourney once and it looked like some of these pictures on here. the person running the tourney came out and said we had to play or else. of course, we played and the first 2 holes were a mess and seemed to take 30 mins themselves. fortunately, it cleared by the 3rd hole
Luckily we had the course to ourselves this morning, but we were commenting on how if it was crowded there is no way we wouldn’t have people hitting into us.

Luckily we had the course to ourselves this morning, but we were commenting on how if it was crowded there is no way we wouldn’t have people hitting into us.
it was a shotgun for us, so everyone had to play in the mess, unless you hit it down the fairway you were just guessing where your ball was.

Have had to do that a couple of times.....local knowledge is important lol

Have had to do that a couple of times.....local knowledge is important lol
When conditions get tuff it is. Picture playing Torrey South, can’t see nothing on 1, 2 and 3, then getting down to 3 green and it is fine. Play 4 and 5 with decent visibly, only to walk up the hill to play in the fog again, possibly for the remainder of the front nine.

Awesome times, and with green fees less than twenty bucks, we didn’t care, play on. All the muni players were pretty good with shouting out to let the group behind them know it was clear.

Hitting a green you can’t see is absolutely awesome. 👌

Definitely a bright yellow golf ball day. White balls would be hard for me to find in that.

Off we go, hope no one is out there!

1000006182.jpg

Back