Flag Stick Etiquette

ripper

Reaction score
Handicap
I hope you guys can help me out. I picked up golf since moving down to Mexico, and down here every course is caddie mandatory. So, the caddie takes care of removing and holding and replacing the flag stick on every hole. When I travel stateside, we almost never use a caddie and I found that I have no idea what the proper etiquette is. Someone has to remove it, but who? Then what? I don't want to embarrass myself on the course so help would be greatly appreciated.

Usually it's whoever is closest to the pin will tend and pull the flag.

That one doesn't nescessarily have an actually rule. Generally I think the person who is farthest and is about to putt SHOULD NOT grab the flag. Basically of the other three who ever is closest to the flag at the time (Person not ball) should grab it. It's one of those lesser ettiquette things that you shuoldn't beat yourself up over.

That one doesn't nescessarily have an actually rule. Generally I think the person who is farthest and is about to putt SHOULD NOT grab the flag. Basically of the other three who ever is closest to the flag at the time (Person not ball) should grab it. It's one of those lesser ettiquette things that you shuoldn't beat yourself up over.

Either or. And the person who putts out first should pick up the flag and be ready to replace it when the last person putts out.

We just do it (in varsity golf) whoever happens to go by the flag first once everyone is on the green pulls it out, and the first person in the hole picks it up and puts it in. But Snap is right, there are no set rules...

Thanks for the responses guys. So, lets say I am closest so I grab the flag, do I just walk off to the side with it, or do I need to stand behind the whole to help others aim?

If the person to putt 1st needs the flag tended, usually the person whos ball is closest to the pin will tend the pin until no one needs it and then lay it on the ground for the rest of the group to putt. Not chiseled in stone, but that is the usual way along with what has already been posted.

Yep just grab it and go put it out of the way, providing everyones on the green and all can see the hole from their current position
Thanks for the responses guys. So, lets say I am closest so I grab the flag, do I just walk off to the side with it, or do I need to stand behind the whole to help others aim?

Generally just put it down somewhere NOT in the line of sight of you or the other three golfer in the group. That could be on the green somewhere or it could mean walking all the way over to the edge and laying it down there.

BTW just a little thing I do, is when you are holding the flag, like say for instance you're waiting for the last guy to finish putting out, have one hand hold the actually flag against the pole. This way the flag isn't flapping around and breaking the poor guys concentration. A very small and meaningless act but considerate none the less.

You can lay it down lengthwise, opposite of me about 8 to 10 feet from the hole to prevent any putt I make from going too far past the cup. hehehe

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks so much for the help guys!

BTW just a little thing I do, is when you are holding the flag, like say for instance you're waiting for the last guy to finish putting out, have one hand hold the actually flag against the pole. This way the flag isn't flapping around and breaking the poor guys concentration. A very small and meaningless act but considerate none the less.

I try to always do that too SH. It is really not a meaningless act to me, it is just common courtesy.

there is no proper etiquitte for this in my eyes. If everyone is putting and you are near the flag, ask if everyone can see the hole or if anyone needs the flag....if they give you the ok, remove it and lay it on the ground. When everyone is dont putting someone will grab it an put it back. Dont worry about being perfect. I think too many times people get caught up in worrying about golf etiquite.

whoever happens to go by the flag first once everyone is on the green pulls it out, and the first person in the hole picks it up and puts it in. But Snap is right, there are no set rules...

i cant read this post without laughing. SEVERAL ways to take this one

I agree. You just hand it off then to the first person to hole out.

closest to the pin usually pulls the flag when everyone is on the green and should ask if anyone still needs it... tend it if they do and pull the flag if everyone doesnt...
lay it somewhere so its not in the way
first one to hole out usually replaces the flag after the last person putts out

holding the actual flag itself is a good idea when someone is putting
another trick ive learned is if i have extra clubs besides my putter(usually a wedge) ill put them next to the flag so i wont forget them

and dont forget to seat the flag properly... it really sucks for the next group if the flag is leaning... it could cost someone an ace or a chip in(maybe)

Back