Flag Event etiquette question?

Redowl

Reaction score
Handicap
fast food
We recently played in a scramble and our team managed to eagle a long par 4. This happened to occur on the ‘closest to the pin in 2’ hole.

My question is: Where do you put the signed stake/placard when you hole-out in the parameters of the challenge? We signed our name and wrote in bold “IN THE HOLE” and stuck it in the green a few inches behind the pin. Should we have placed the sign somewhere else? Is there a protocol we should have followed?

You had a "Closest To The Pin" on a Par 4. A bit unusual, but I guess a bit of a different challenge.

Most times, you mark the name and the distance on the card and leave it in the fringe so it doesn't interfere with any tee shots. That is assuming there is a tape measure attached to measure. If not, you pretty much write the name and stick the stick where the shot landed.

in your case however, I thiink there was only once place for it, and that was in the hole next to the flagstick :banana:

Never holed one out like that, but as Rob said, usually with closest to the hole I have signed the name and then moved it to the fringe so as not to interfere with any other shots.

I would write on the card holed out and the name if the person, then move it off to the side. Many if the tournaments I played had a tape measure so the card was always on the fringe

You had a "Closest To The Pin" on a Par 4. A bit unusual, but I guess a bit of a different challenge.

Most times, you mark the name and the distance on the card and leave it in the fringe so it doesn't interfere with any tee shots. That is assuming there is a tape measure attached to measure. If not, you pretty much write the name and stick the stick where the shot landed.

in your case however, I thiink there was only once place for it, and that was in the hole next to the flagstick :banana:

Agreed with everything above.

I played a society day where we had closest to the hole on a par 4 in 2. They guy I played with holed out with his second (he hit an awful thin that raced up the fairway about a foot off the ground, landed on the green and trickled into the hole LOL). We wrote in the hole and left the marker in the fringe out of the way.

I've always wrote the same & put the pin in the hole. One of the old guys told me years ago.
This was always on our closest in 3 on a par 5. I guess I should change this habit.

write down the distance, or in this case that the ball was holed out. Then place the card somewhere at the fringe. If it wasn't holed and there was no tape ruler than someone made a mistake and I suppose you would have to p[lace it where the ball was.

In the hole is the only correct answer.

We went round and round on this. A few people said in the hole was inappropriate because it could affect another team's approach. Other individuals said off the green was wrong because it didn't accurately reflect the the 'target' for those trying to win the hole prize/game. We never reached consensus.

And as far as this game being on a par 4: this particular event uses all four par 3s to raise money for charity and they don't have 'closest to the pin' on them. They found a long four and the concept is still fairly similar.

Could you have taped it to the top of the flag or wedged it between the flag and the pin at the top?

I would have wrote on the card IN THE HOLE, like you did and then put the pin back in the cup and place the maker in WITH the pin, but on the back side of pin so it's most likely NOT going in interfere with a shot in most cases.

Back