Fix Me, King Kong!

Darren K.

Pittsburgh Panther
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 14.3
First time out for the year and don't want to get bad habits grooved any further. Miss is still pull draws that can turn into hooks, and duck hooks with the driver.

Hopefully this video works. There weren't too many open bays at the range today and the shade made this iffy.

Basically I want to eliminate the pulls. If I could go back to normal draws (or even get my fade back!) I would be more than content. Any small tips, Freddy?

Ok my good man,you have a solid swing. Three quick things I'd like to sweet. Keep the right leg flexed throughout the swing. Swing into the right instep.

Point you directional rod slightly right of your target and swing down that line.

lastly I would like to see you hit the ball with back of your left hand. You are hitting it with the right at this time and hence the pulls.

Last edited:
It looks like some active feet and a straightened right leg. Keep that leg flex.

Updated my post

Ok my good man,you have a solid swing. Three quick things I'd like to sweet. Keep the right leg flexed throughout the swing. Swing into the right instep.

Point you directional rod slightly right of your target and swing down that line.

lastly I would like to see you hit the ball with back of your left hand. You are hitting it with the right at this time and hence the pulls.

Do you have any good drills for the last part? I've been told that before but I can't quite understand that feel difference and therefore can't correct it.

Do you have any good drills for the last part? I've been told that before but I can't quite understand that feel difference and therefore can't correct it.

Try to drive the knuckles of your left hand into the turf. This will get you hitting the ball with the back of your left hand.

To get this feeling I like to hold a club head in my left hand. It shows you the face position when the hand is in different position. Place the face flat against the palm of your left have and simulate the impact position.

Try to drive the knuckles of your left hand into the turf. This will get you hitting the ball with the back of your left hand.

To get this feeling I like to hold a club head in my left hand. It shows you the face position when the hand is in different position. Place the face flat against the palm of your left have and simulate the impact position.

Thank you, sir. Just can't seem to fix that apparently because I though I had gotten rid of that habit. Will definitely give it a try.

Thank you, sir. Just can't seem to fix that apparently because I though I had gotten rid of that habit. Will definitely give it a try.

You will need to slow your tempo to groove the feeling

Whenever I need to / want to groove a new feeling, I grab a mid/short iron lime my 7i. I take full swings, but only swing hard enough to hit the ball 100 yards. That way, I can really feel where everything needs to be.

Whenever I need to / want to groove a new feeling, I grab a mid/short iron lime my 7i. I take full swings, but only swing hard enough to hit the ball 100 yards. That way, I can really feel where everything needs to be.

Definitely gonna give that a try. Thanks pal. And by the way, the F1 is awesome.

Definitely gonna give that a try. Thanks pal. And by the way, the F1 is awesome.

I'm happy you like it. I would imagine that it fits you very well.

I'm happy you like it. I would imagine that it fits you very well.

Very well indeed. Flex is excellent. Wish it was higher launching but I really like the piercing trajectory.

darren you have a nice swing i struggle with the same thing pulls and hooks. i see you have a little over the top move ( as do i) that coupled with a stronger right hand release leads to those bad things.

freddy wouldnt the knuckes into the turf feeling close the face down coming into the ball? im interested in this because i struggle with the same things.

DarrenKswing.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Darren,

Here is what I'm seeing in your swing.

1st picture. (Set up)
Good setup, though not exactly square with your alignment stick, this isn't what the issue is. I'd like to see a little more flex in your knees though, but that's ok.

2nd picture. (Take away)
Here is where the first spot jumped out at me. Your should turn looks ok at the start, your arms are still in front of your body (no disconnection) but your coming across and inside with your club a lot. Specifically, let's look at your club face. See how it's pointing down? That means is closed, and by closed I mean a lot. If you're not manipulating the club face in your swing, at this point the club face should be pretty much vertical, or really close to your spine angle.

3rd picture. (Top of swing)
First off, you do a good job at keeping your spine angle better at the top, so that's great. However, in your transition from ball to the top, your club face keeps closing. You can't see it on this screen grab, but stop the video (in full screen mode) at the top and you'll find your club face pointing almost directly to the sky, again, very close. Ideally we want to see your club face parallel with your leading (left) forearm at this point.

4th picture. (Impact)
Here we see your club, not even to the ball yet, and it's already square and we aren't even close to the ball yet. (Can't see a club shadow).
Your hands have travelled up and away from their starting position, which is what we tend to see in strong swing like yours.

Three things I would try:

1.) Here is a drill to learn the correct hand and arm motion. Hit balls with your feet together. This drill teaches hand, wrist and arm coordination. If you do this correctly, the ball should fly straight without any curve left or right. This drill is also good to work on balance. If you swing too hard, you will lose your balance.

2.) Fixing your take away.
Start by choking way down on the club, with the butt of the club in your belly button.

The turning your shoulders, leave the butt of your club in your belly button until it is parallel with the ground.

Take the club to the top as normal and repeat.

This should help keep your take a way in one piece and not travel inside the line as much. Once you get to parallel with the ground, you should be setting your wrist with a 90* (or more) between your shaft and left forearm.

3.) A great teaching aide to work on correct hand position.
The Swingyde Golf Training Aide

This will help correct your club alignment position at the top of your swing.

swgyd2.jpg

DarrenKswing.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Darren,

Here is what I'm seeing in your swing.

1st picture. (Set up)
Good setup, though not exactly square with your alignment stick, this isn't what the issue is. I'd like to see a little more flex in your knees though, but that's ok.

2nd picture. (Take away)
Here is where the first spot jumped out at me. Your should turn looks ok at the start, your arms are still in front of your body (no disconnection) but your coming across and inside with your club a lot. Specifically, let's look at your club face. See how it's pointing down? That means is closed, and by closed I mean a lot. If you're not manipulating the club face in your swing, at this point the club face should be pretty much vertical, or really close to your spine angle.

3rd picture. (Top of swing)
First off, you do a good job at keeping your spine angle better at the top, so that's great. However, in your transition from ball to the top, your club face keeps closing. You can't see it on this screen grab, but stop the video (in full screen mode) at the top and you'll find your club face pointing almost directly to the sky, again, very close. Ideally we want to see your club face parallel with your leading (left) forearm at this point.

4th picture. (Impact)
Here we see your club, not even to the ball yet, and it's already square and we aren't even close to the ball yet. (Can't see a club shadow).
Your hands have travelled up and away from their starting position, which is what we tend to see in strong swing like yours.

Three things I would try:

1.) Here is a drill to learn the correct hand and arm motion. Hit balls with your feet together. This drill teaches hand, wrist and arm coordination. If you do this correctly, the ball should fly straight without any curve left or right. This drill is also good to work on balance. If you swing too hard, you will lose your balance.

2.) Fixing your take away.
Start by choking way down on the club, with the butt of the club in your belly button.

The turning your shoulders, leave the butt of your club in your belly button until it is parallel with the ground.

Take the club to the top as normal and repeat.

This should help keep your take a way in one piece and not travel inside the line as much. Once you get to parallel with the ground, you should be setting your wrist with a 90* (or more) between your shaft and left forearm.

3.) A great teaching aide to work on correct hand position.
The Swingyde Golf Training Aide

This will help correct your club alignment position at the top of your swing.

swgyd2.jpg

Lots to think about here! This is awesome. Love the drill idea. Can't wait to get back out and try this!!!

Back