Bus

Touring Purple
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
~16
So I've been playing with an idea for a contest, and need some help with where I can host an excel file for people to download? I was going to just us Goggle drive, but can't figure out how to make it so people can open it and make changes, and then the next person that opens it gets the original file (i.e. doesn't save the changes the previous person made).

Hopefully that makes sense? Any ideas/suggestions?

So I've been playing with an idea for a contest, and need some help with where I can host an excel file for people to download? I was going to just us Goggle drive, but can't figure out how to make it so people can open it and make changes, and then the next person that opens it gets the original file (i.e. doesn't save the changes the previous person made).

Hopefully that makes sense? Any ideas/suggestions?
Share file / sheet > Copy Link > (box will appear bottom left) Manage Permissions > General Access "anyone with link" that should work.

I think sheets is intelligent enough to allow multiple people editing at the same time and still not lose data

Share file / sheet > Copy Link > (box will appear bottom left) Manage Permissions > General Access "anyone with link" that should work.

I think sheets is intelligent enough to allow multiple people editing at the same time and still not lose data
I want it to be setup so people can download it, but any changes they make won't affect the original download. Does that make sense? Having a hard time explaining it.

I thought google drive allowed you to restrict the file so users can only download/open the file.

From the google machine:

When you share a file with someone, you can choose their access level:

• Viewer: People can access, but can’t change or share the file with others.
  • Commenter: People can make comments and suggestions, but can’t change or share the file with others.
  • Editor: People can make changes, accept or reject suggestions, and share the file with others.

Dropbox. With a dropbox link. You can set it so it can only be opened by one person at a time, and then saved.

I thought google drive allowed you to restrict the file so users can only download/open the file.

From the google machine:

When you share a file with someone, you can choose their access level:

• Viewer: People can access, but can’t change or share the file with others.
  • Commenter: People can make comments and suggestions, but can’t change or share the file with others.
  • Editor: People can make changes, accept or reject suggestions, and share the file with others.
Can I message you a link so we can try it out?

Dropbox. With a dropbox link. You can set it so it can only be opened by one person at a time, and then saved.
I tried Dropbox, but when I opened the link it opened as a webpage instead of Excel, and you couldn't move any of the info from any of the cells?

I want it to be setup so people can download it, but any changes they make won't affect the original download. Does that make sense? Having a hard time explaining it.
They will also be able to save a copy to their drive / download it.

Reactions: Bus
I tried Dropbox, but when I opened the link it opened as a webpage instead of Excel, and you couldn't move any of the info from any of the cells?
That's odd. It should open as the file it is.

Back