Chris Farley Idk GIF

Sort of. I can sense when things are not right. For example, I start to feel really disconnected, really up and down rather than rotational, etc. Without video it's very hard to know exactly what is happening though. I was going to ask somebody to video me last week but didn't want to be that guy 🦃

After the shot I can kind of tell what I did or did not do but during

I Have No Idea GIF by NBC

This thing has got me the feel vs real difference for my backswing which was my biggest fault. I can feel when things are going bad and I put in a full range session with the alignment sticks. I generally use this every 3rd to 5th range session now.

View attachment 9260224
I use this but I just put my alignment stick into the ground.

For me I have a good feeling of what my good swings “for me” should feel like and honestly I stopped caring a long time ago what it looks like.

I know when things are not well because of the rushed feeling I get in my swing. Years ago a wise THPer named @Trout Bum gave me a swing tempo queue. During my takeaway through impact I say to myself “God Save The Queen” and gives me the perfect tempo every time.

Whatever I am trying to change, I always have to really exaggerate the feel in order to see some change happen in the real swing....what feels like changing something a foot is usually an inch or 2 in real speed

nope...if what I thought I was feeling was reality I would be able to fix my swing and not suck so bad!

It can be super deceiving, which is why video is so important. A while back I went in for a lesson wondering why I was hitting these wipey, guider fades, and my swing coach showed me on film how NOT full of a turn I’d been making. Started making full turns and picked up like 50 yards of distance 🤦
This right here. I thought I was turning in my backswing. When in reality I would slide turn shoulders and more like lift arms. Then the cameras at GofTec should me what was real. Feel is still not real. Now it feels like I’m taking club so far inside which video proves I’m not. If I truly turn on backswing and get depth to hands and butt of shaft then turn on swing it’s impressive the results. Is it easy no. Somedays it’s easy to do others it still seems so foreign. More range time required. Hopefully someday feel and real will meet.

Nope. Well, maybe one feel is real. I can feel when I’m coming too far from the inside and the frantic actions that result. I’ve seen on those on video.

Do you think you have a good grasp of what you feel in your golf swing vs what is real?

I'll admit I don't have a CLUE after parallel what is real in my swing hahaha

I always love the "stop at the top" sessions on the range where people think they are pausing and if anything their transition is faster lmao

As far as body spatial awareness and orientation yes, but to club orientation in space while swinging, no, once it starts climbing outside peripheral field no one knows where it's at.

Same here, after parallel, which is about the same area where the more active climb begins from the set.

They want to know where the club is, nobody knows, instead they should pay more attention to where their body is.

Nope, cannot tell at all, and things that feel like really huge changes during lessons when viewed after are really really minor.

It is absolutely amazing the difference of feel vs real in this game. During a lesson with my instructor, I said "OK, I'm going to take this one back to my knees and try to hit it from there. It might only go 10 yards, but that's what I'm going to do." After hitting the shot we looked at it on video, and the club was was parallel behind my head (which is way shorter than my typical way-past-parallel). I would have bet my house my hands never got above my waist. Good thing I didn't, because I'd be homeless right now.

I’ve gotten a lot more cognizant of it this year. Especially during my driver swing. I can feel things going wrong or right before contact and the results show it. It’s pretty eye opening after years of not having a clue what the hell was going wrong for me
teach us your ways

After extensive work with a top 100 teaching pro. Thru slow motion video, trackman data, force plate data and his overseeing eye. I can safely say that 70% of what I do is real as a feel. It was massive work.My goal is 80% by working on his drills with or without a ball. Some teachers are really this good. Highly recommend all amateurs find a solid teacher and work your tail off. Makes the game more enjoyable. I don’t think I would even be close to where my swing now without his guidance and input. Was very expensive. But money well invested

Probably why I detest light Shafts. Tried a few but could not Feel where Club was. Modus 105s are my sweet spot.

I’ve gotten a lot more cognizant of it this year. Especially during my driver swing. I can feel things going wrong or right before contact and the results show it. It’s pretty eye opening after years of not having a clue what the hell was going wrong for me
Show off.

The solution is to just stop completely any time you are feeling a bad swing. Or double pump it.

The solution is to just stop completely any time you are feeling a bad swing. Or double pump it.
100% this. Once I feel a bad swing when I'm over the ball I need to back off or I know it's going to be terrible.

teach us your ways
Honestly, what helped the most is not having a two way miss currently. Almost every miss is either a pull or a hook. Knowing that, it's easier to feel the swing either go right or break down. If I was still missing both ways, I'd still be incredibly in the dark.

The less I look at my swing, the happier I am. Even when I record something, hell I don’t remember what shot I was trying to hit or what I was aiming at

I've been playing long enough that for me, feel isn't real.

Maybe when I take my Hogan blades for spin, and I hit the ball off the club's sweet spot, that feels pretty good. Like the hot knife through butter scenario.

The only time I know I've made a good, or bad swing is the results of the ball flight. For me, seeing the ball flight tells me everything.

Out if necessity, I recently made a minor swing, and grip change. After a few weeks I can say I physically feel like the changes are settling in, but it's still the visual of the ball flight that tells the whole story.

I think I have a good feel but it has come after watching video. Once I reviewed lots of video of my swing I could tell and feel myself doing it certain things, now changing it is the hard part.

I am closing the gap between feel and real, but the proprioception is certainly an ongoing challenge. I find I have to check in with someone to give me feedback on my swing. It is crazy easy to get off and not have a clue what's going on.

Not on everything by any means. My coach is pushing me to shorten my backswing. What feels like a full turn is way long and over the line. What is actually a textbook looking PGA tour top of the swing feels like 75% at most to me. It is so hard to stop there. Feels so short and weak, but on camera it is perfect and looks full.

Back