Fairway Woods Length

coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
So I was changing some grips on my fairway woods tonight and was wondering about lengths. Are fairway woods looked at much compared to the driver for being too long? Always hear about golfers drivers being too long but not fairway woods.

So I was changing some grips on my fairway woods tonight and was wondering about lengths. Are fairway woods looked at much compared to the driver for being too long? Always hear about golfers drivers being too long but not fairway woods.

Every 3 wood I have ever had was 43" and it doesn't give me any problems. My driver came stock at 46" though, which is way too long. Your average 4 iron is around 39", so you really don't have a ton of room to work with unless you want your woods the same as your 4 iron.

My woods/hybrids currently go:
Driver 44"
3 wood 43"
3 hybrid ~41"
4 hybrid ~40"

Yea I didn't know if many messed with shortening there fairway woods like they do with there driver. Might try it on one and see if I notice any big changes.

It is really just a matter of at what length you center them. Even though I'm almost 6'3", my 3 wood (when I carry it) is 42" and my 5 wood is 41". I certainly believe the modern fairways are too long for most golfers.

I play mine at a max of 43". If longer than that (which many are these days), I will shorten it. Go down about .5" from that to my 5 wood.

I sometimes play my 3w 1/4 - 1/2" short.

I try to play my 4W at 42.5" or so. That's a comfortable length for me. Some 3W come in at 43.75" or so, which is only a little shorter than I play my driver.

I love playing a 5w (17*) at three wood length (43"). Adds some forgiveness without giving up much if any distance.

My drivers are usually cut down to 44.5 and my 4 wood is at 42.5. These lengths work for me as they are more forgiving and easier to control.

I honestly have no idea, but now I'm curious. I have three drivers and three fairway woods (all custom fit) lying around, maybe I'll go measure them.

I'm going to try my 3 wood at 42.5 and see if I notice any difference. Hopefully here soon it'll get warm and I can get out on the course.

my RBZ shaft is 43.5inch but thinking of cutting it down maybe up to an inch. how much will that effect the swing weight? should i just choke down on the club instead?

I prefer my 3W with a heavier shaft, (90 grams), and then I make the clublength 1/2" shorter, (42.5"). Although, I am 6'1" tall, I am far more consistent with these 3-wood specs. When you shorten any shaft shaft by 1/2" you will lose 3 swingweights, but changing to the 90 gram shaft, brings the swingweight back nicely.

Note: Most stock FW shafts these days are 60-70 grams. Every 7 grams of shaftweight = 1 swingweight

I used to be adamant about playing my 3 wood at 42.5 but I've since accepted a few slightly longer. Somewhere between 42.5 and 43 is good for me.

I prefer my 3W with a heavier shaft, (90 grams), and then I make the clublength 1/2" shorter, (42.5"). Although, I am 6'1" tall, I am far more consistent with these 3-wood specs. When you shorten any shaft shaft by 1/2" you will lose 3 swingweights, but changing to the 90 gram shaft, brings the swingweight back nicely.

Note: Most stock FW shafts these days are 60-70 grams. Every 7 grams of shaftweight = 1 swingweight
I think that's why I could hit my Old Nike SQ Dymo so good because it had a 90 gram shaft.

I used to be adamant about playing my 3 wood at 42.5 but I've since accepted a few slightly longer. Somewhere between 42.5 and 43 is good for me.
Shoot Dan I figured you being taller your 3wood would be longer than 43. Say I got my Srixon at 42 now and I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully I see better results.

Have a proper fitting done and you will know for sure.

I have the Cleveland 588's both the irons and woods are overly long I have 1" taken off of all of the irons 5 wood and 4 hybrid and 2" of of the driver but I am only 5'8"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There really isn't a harder shot in golf than a 3w off the deck - at least generally speaking. Yea, I think the 43.5 we are seeing now is silly unless you are going to use it as a tee club pretty much exclusively. Or I suppose if you've got a swing that can handle it, which most people don't.

There really isn't a harder shot in golf than a 3w off the deck - at least generally speaking. Yea, I think the 43.5 we are seeing now is silly unless you are going to use it as a tee club pretty much exclusively. Or I suppose if you've got a swing that can handle it, which most people don't.

^Truth here.^

Not sure what the old standard for 3 wood length was, but with Driver length growing and iron length growing, that means fairway wood length has to have grown as well.

I have the Cleveland 588's both the irons and woods are overly long I have 1" taken off of all of the irons 5 wood and 4 hybrid and 2" of of the driver but I am only 5'8"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I compared my Cleveland 588 3 wood to my Nike SQ Dymo 3wood and there was a inch different. I understand with longer length you'll increase your swing speed, but if you can't hit the dang ball in the fairway there's no use for that kind of length.

My 3w (g30) was 42.75" from Ping,which is a bit under their specs. I shortened it to 42". My 5w, xcg7, measures at 41 7/8" stock. Normally I play my 5 woods at 41.25" but this one feels ok because of the larger head profile. I am hoping it gets me good distance this year so that I can drop the 3w. Love the 3w off the tee but off the deck it's usually a mystery

Yea I compared my Cleveland 588 3 wood to my Nike SQ Dymo 3wood and there was a inch different. I understand with longer length you'll increase your swing speed, but if you can't hit the dang ball in the fairway there's no use for that kind of length.

Add in the fact that you are gaining probably 1-2 mph club head speed with a shaft that's 1" longer and it doesn't really seem worth it.

Yep if it doesn't work what's the purpose of using it off the fairway. It just stinks when you can hit a driver 250 yards but the next club you can hit is like 200 yards. I need something in between.

Add in the fact that you are gaining probably 1-2 mph club head speed with a shaft that's 1" longer and it doesn't really seem worth it.

Today I play with my fairway wood #5 ( 19 degree ) , experimental cut to 40 inch, I think I like the new length. In the past, I tested 42 inch, 41 inch, and now 40 inch. I know 40 inch is hybrid's length category, but I keep testing it because I am so curious with fairway woods at hybrid's length. I think fairway woods at this length category ( between 39 to 40 inches ), actually is the best hybrids :thumb: , don't you think ?

I still keep my other fairways 42 inches ( at home , untouched ) until I can play it.

Back