Excel help needed

Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys/gals. We are working on a program that will give us an excel checklist as we assign orders. We have made the excel sheet but we have run into a problem. We have a description of what the step is needed on the left and the boxes to check that you have completed this step on the right. The problem is that when you have assigned multiple orders, you can no longer see the description to the left. I hope I am describing that in good enough detail

What I am looking to do is to have the descriptions on the left, move as you go to the right. This way as you assign a lot of orders, you can still see the description. Is there anyway of doing that? TIA

You can lock that column in place, if I'm reading correctly.

Yes you can. Go to Page Setup. Click the sheet tab. You will see under the print titles header a box for Columns to repeat at the left. If you click the dialogue box it lets you select what you want to be visible.

I know there is a way to do it but cant recall exactly right now. It is something like freeze the panes or something like that.

I am guessing Hawk is trying to describe the freeze panes option - if so, highlight the column to the right of the descriptions then select the freeze panes and then that will stay in place as you scroll across

Yes you can. Go to Page Setup. Click the sheet tab. You will see under the print titles header a box for Columns to repeat at the left. If you click the dialogue box it lets you select what you want to be visible.

That only works for when you print to repeat certain columns on every sheet

TheDoctor nailed it.

Hey guys/gals. We are working on a program that will give us an excel checklist as we assign orders. We have made the excel sheet but we have run into a problem. We have a description of what the step is needed on the left and the boxes to check that you have completed this step on the right. The problem is that when you have assigned multiple orders, you can no longer see the description to the left. I hope I am describing that in good enough detail

What I am looking to do is to have the descriptions on the left, move as you go to the right. This way as you assign a lot of orders, you can still see the description. Is there anyway of doing that? TIA

Depending on what version of Excel you have, the function should be called "Freeze Panes". In my version, it's found under the View Tab, and two of the choices are to either Freeze the top row of Freeze the first column

That only works for when you print to repeat certain columns on every sheet

Correct. I read it wrong. You description above is what he was looking for. Thanks Doc.

Talk to me like I'm an idiot. I have highlighted the panes. I cannot see a freeze panes option. You guys rock.

Do you know what version you're working with?

Dudes we have found out. I love you all!!!

I was going to point out the post from SharkHat but guess that isn't needed now

If you (or anyone else) needs any help with Excel, feel free to shoot me a question as I spend a lot of time using it for work

Back