European broadcast crew VS US crew

homerun79

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone else enjoy some of the uniqueness I see in the European team as opposed to the US tour guys?

The production values I saw in the opening of the broadcast with the Chinese themed music and the intro is fantastic, as well as the super slo mo replays at the end of the broadcast.

Much more refined commentary by the euro guys, I don't find myself watching many of their tournaments on Golf Channel, but I definately enjoy them on these big stage events!

How do you guys feel about these guys?

Cheers

Our view of the US telecasts and the US broadcast teams are probably permanently tainted by one Johnny Miller and his Yogi Berra like ramblings. Miller brings the entire curve for the US tour broadcast teams down.

I do think that the Euro broadcast teams seem to be more into the tourney itself and their broadcasts seem a bit more joyful to me as a result. The US teams are full of guys that seem dead set on being the “rightest” guy in the broadcast booth or back in the studio that day and to me that changes the dynamics of the telecast considerably. They often end up coming off like a bunch of golf talking heads each needing to have his own particular slant on every gosh darned thing in an effort to one up the rest of the broadcast team.

The US broadcast teams seem very knowledgeable and a bit more hardnosed to me while the Euro teams seem almost a little childlike in the pleasure they take from the tourney itself. There is no question that the tone that is set is very different in each case. I am not sure but it would not surprise me if the way the Euro broadcasters approached the task at hand would wear out on me if I was exposed to it week in and week out but I have to admit it is sometimes refreshing when comparing them to the US teams.

I'll take the Euro guys/gals in a hear beat! The US version of golf broadcasting is so distracting I find myself tuning out and end up not being able to follow the actual golf. Seems everyone of them see themselves as the entertainment rather than the actual golf being played on the course. I'm really tired of the negativity. i.e. being told how bad a shot that _______(insert what ever player is in contention for the win) just played and how they should have played it, if they are so good why are they in the broadcast booth and not out on the course? I remember golf broadcasting in the sixties being just like the current Euro style and I miss it.

BY FAR, the best thing about watching the British Open is Peter Alliss. Its funny when you watch something from another country. First you notice the differences, then you notice more how odd AMERICAN television is.

I guess I'll take the dissenting opinion here.

I find the Euro Tour on GC to be dreadfully boring. I enjoy watching the golf- but I actually want to see things pointed out to me that I wouldn't have noticed. I can see it was a great shot, point out to me why it was so hard. etc. Like mentioned above, the Euro coverage is very "simple" while the american coverage is more in depth. Sure its corny at times and we do have Miller... but all told I think the production value in America is higher and I learn more from the commentators.

Its like watching football and seeing really good commentary. I can tell you it was a good run play- but I wont notice the great block by the pulling guard unless someone who knows more than me points it out. I appreciate that.

Depends...Tom Abbott is worse than Johnny Miller by far...so it all depends on how much he pipes up.

I don't watch the Euro golf. If there announcers are any thing like that wanker on Big Break, I know I ain't missing anything. I really can't stand that close talker.

I don't watch the Euro golf. If there announcers are any thing like that wanker on Big Break, I know I ain't missing anything. I really can't stand that close talker.

That wanker is in fact one of the commentators. hehe

Miller's the virus, agreed...in a game where attitude is the difference between the champions and the chumps, Miller's a nightmare to listen to...

I prefer the American announcers on the Nationwide Tour....I like Curt Byrum and Jerry Foltz...And the women on the course are great, especially Kay Cockerill....None are negative or condescending.....And if I had to choose between the European or PGA announcers, I'd choose the Europeans...More refined and professional...Like Ben Wright and Peter Aliss were/are.....

I prefer the American announcers on the Nationwide Tour....I like Curt Byrum and Jerry Foltz...And the women on the course are great, especially Kay Cockerill....None are negative or condescending.....And if I had to choose between the European or PGA announcers, I'd choose the Europeans...More refined and professional...Like Ben Wright and Peter Aliss were/are.....

I agree with this 100%... the GC announcers for the champions/nw tours are awesome...the CBS crews suck except for Feherty, hes amazing.

Agree but I seem to be in the minority as a Miller fan. He understands the golf swing and I find his commentary informative.

I guess I'll take the dissenting opinion here.

I find the Euro Tour on GC to be dreadfully boring. I enjoy watching the golf- but I actually want to see things pointed out to me that I wouldn't have noticed. I can see it was a great shot, point out to me why it was so hard. etc. Like mentioned above, the Euro coverage is very "simple" while the american coverage is more in depth. Sure its corny at times and we do have Miller... but all told I think the production value in America is higher and I learn more from the commentators.

Its like watching football and seeing really good commentary. I can tell you it was a good run play- but I wont notice the great block by the pulling guard unless someone who knows more than me points it out. I appreciate that.

hahaha, this cracked me up. he is annoying isnt he? I couldnt hear the commentators for all of the SMOG...thats just horrible

I agree with this 100%... the GC announcers for the champions/nw tours are awesome...the CBS crews suck except for Feherty, hes amazing.

Feherty is the best. I like it when he calls into the Dan Patrick show and either provides his prediction or his breakdown of the weekend.

feherty is great - agreed

for the last 2 ryder cups I have listened to the BBC radio feed. I think they are very good at painting a picture of what is happening on the course. They also crack me up with the stuff they say. Not to mention they talk to the fans about various things. This year they spoke to people about their rain gear during the rain delays.

Back