echico's favorite 18 holes in PHX area

echico

#MOIJacking
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
There was a lot of discussion in person and on forum about hole 15 at Wekopa Saguaro and how it was a long par 3. That got me thinking about how some holes you play a few times and you learn how to play them effectively and then that got me to thinking about why I like some of the golf courses and golf holes that I like. I am going to bring you a list of my favorite golf holes in the PHX areas and breakdown how I think about playing them. Of course there are others that may have a completely different way of playing it and I welcome the different viewpoints. I am going to try to make is a par 72 and not all of the holes are going to be ones that I play well. Golf is hard and there have to be difficult golf holes to make it a good list.

I have about 6 in my head right now so I will keep thinking to fill it out.

Wekopa Saguaro hole 15 par 3
Wekopa Cholla hole 6 par 4
Qunitero hole 6 par 3
Southern Dunes hole 12 par 4
Southern Dunes Hole 3 par 5
Raven hole 5 par 4

First up is Wekopa Saguaro hole 15 a 233 yd down hill par 3.

When I first starting play this course I was not very good at golf. The ending stretch at Saguaro is a bruiser and this hole just seemed silly to me. As you play this course more you learn how to play some of its holes and it also teaches you how to play a lot more golf.

First lets break down the tee shot a little. Not many people have a 233 club that is reliable to attack this green. That is the first lesson that golf in AZ taught me is that attacking pins probably isn't smart. That has been said in many threads here but until I was held captive by a hole I really never thought too much about playing to a miss. As you can see below there is not that much forced carry from playing 1 up (where I generally play). 2 up cuts some yardage off but also reduces the elevation drop. What I have learned here is that you can't swing out of your shoes with a club. You have to commit to a landing spot and take the proper club. On this hole the front of the green is about 200 yds playing just under that with elevation change. I aim out to the right edge of the green and take either a 4 or 5 iron as those are my 200 and over clubs. I can live with a miss on the right side of the green or even short as those clubs will get me over the desert and into grass. Again I am not looking at this a hole that I should try to press and get birdie on. I just want a par here.

The green - Well the green is massive and compared to the rest of the course is pretty flat. Once you know the green you kind of realize what I was talking about on the tee shot. You don't need to press your long irons if you have a good short game. You really just need to get it to where you have a manageable chip or can navigate a good lag putt.

Overall - This hole can and will intimidate a lot of golfers. I didn't like it at first because I thought I needed to muscle something down there. As I started to get better and really think about how a golf hole is supposed to be played I was able to get a better understanding of how I can minimize my score and how I can navigate properly around a golf course. This hole helped make me a better golfer by thinking, not be getting more distance off the tee.

1713792703523.png

These are in no particular order and I am still thinking through some of my options

2 holes - par 8

Hole 3 Southern Dunes Par 5

I usually play from 513 but 1 more up is 467 and further back there is a 548 and 575 tee box. That tee box isn't shown in the picture but a lot of carry over the desert. This is a hole that I have changed my strategy over the years. I used to aim pretty much at the right fairway bunker and hope I didn't go in it. As I have gotten better and my drives go further I aim pretty much where the target is in the middle of the fairway. I have rolled it past that right bunker many times and it leaves a good approach into the green. This green would be super easy if that big ol bunker in front wasn't there. Pretty much you have to land your approach shot onto the green to have a legitimate shot at reaching in 2. The layup is a pretty easy shot but then again getting the ball on the right level of the green while getting over bunkers is not as easy as it looks. Depending on how I am playing will determine if I try to go for it in 2 or layup to a yardage. The first 2 holes on this course are pretty easy then you get a hole where decisions have to be made. I really like the challenge of this hole and good scores came just as easily as a bad score does.

1713902286203.png

Can I get a break down of Wekopa Saguaro hole 18? 480 yard Par 4 into the wind? Toughest finishing hole I've seen. Bogie with a putt at par is good enough for me.

Drivable par 4 options. There are 2 at the Whirlwind courses I like, Raven 5, Southern Dunes 14, Sterling Grove 6, Victory 14, McDowell 2. I have a front runner

Can I get a break down of Wekopa Saguaro hole 18? 480 yard Par 4 into the wind? Toughest finishing hole I've seen. Bogie with a putt at par is good enough for me.
I agree it is the toughest finishing hole in the valley. That is a buckle up hole for sure. I really wish there was a better composite set of tees for this course as there is no reason to have this hole, the long par 3, the 600 yd par 5 for most players. The issue with moving 1 up is then you get 3-4 legitimate drivable par 4's (2, 7, 10, 16) for longer hitters which can be a pace issue.

In a shocker I am adding a hole from a course I don't like playing, Ocotillo. I think most of this course is below average but the 9th hole on the White Course is a diamond in the rough. There are gimmicky and silly holes on this 9 but this one stands out as probably the best hole on property. Again it is in no order because Ocotillo will not have my 3rd favorite hole in the valley. :ROFLMAO:

3 holes - par 12

Hole 9 Ocotillo White Par 4

This is a pretty long par 4 where they actually give you a ton of room off the tee to go wild with the driver. You can miss left or right and still have a look at the green. The play is to just get the drive in play with some distance on it. The hard part is the approach. Do you layup short of the water to give yourself a wedge in or do you go for the green? This green has tiers to it that can make a long iron approach put you in 3-4 putt territory. The key is to keep the ball on the same tier or below and not give yourself a downhill putt here. Once on the green it is actually pretty large but again there are some really big undulations that can lead to big numbers just from putting.

Overall it is a fun hole to play because it has a challenge to it. You can take all of your aggressions out on the drive and still be in play and then you have to make decisions and good shots to get out of here with a par. Birdies are rare but well earned.

1713967780650.png

My drivable par 4 is none other than Hole 17 at TPC Scottsdale. This course is way too expensive for what it is but this hole is fun to watch on TV and really fun to play.

4 holes - par 16

I usually play here from 1 up that makes the choice to go for it a little easier really. I can get past the fairway bunker pretty easily and then there is luck involved with the bounce towards or away from the green. That little section of the green on the back right is absolutely the hardest pin placement. To get your drive to end up there is tough. To get your wedge to end up there is tough. To get a long putt to end up there is tough. I have seen rounds implode on the is hole but have never seen an eagle here. It is a lot of fun to play and generally you shouldn't get out of here with more than par.

1714070676811.png

My first repeat course is probably my favorite course in Southern Dunes.

5 holes - par 20

Southern Dunes Hole 12 - Par 4

This hole starts a stretch at Southern Dunes that is probably my favorite stretch of holes in the valley. A tough par 4, then a gettable par 5, a drivable par 4, a big par 4, a tough par 5. It really will tell you how you were playing that day. This tee shot feels downhill and the approach feels like it is to an elevated green but overall the hole is pretty flat. The fairway bunker there is a tough carry from the 1-up tees and not too bad from 2-up. Getting over that bunker gives a nice approach into the green but getting into the bunker is tough. Going to the right of the bunker is what I see a lot but you can run through fairway pretty quickly if you go too far right. Once you get the ball in play your approach shot into the green is pretty tough. The bunker that runs along the right side of the fairway is not the place to be. The green is elevated so it requires a big flop out of that bunker as it gets to the greenside. The green is skinny so it has to be a precise shot. Overall it is a tough hole and one that requires 2 good shots to get you in position to 3 putt. :ROFLMAO:

1714145864857.png

I will add a couple more this week.

Back