Driver leaking to the right

Truetemper

Reaction score
Handicap
As a right handed golfer how active should I be 'releasing' the right arm / hand in the downswing? I consistently lose the ball to the right.

When I stand with my feet together or take my setup and drop my right leg back and do 3/4 swings I can hit beautiful draws.I cannot take this feeling to the the full swing.

So I was actively being aware of having my right arm/hands driving through the ball past the impact postion.

Any thoughts on this? I have read here about swinging to right field...

TT - Well, remember that your driver has the least amount of loft on it so if the clubface is open through impact it will slice or fade right on you. If what your talking about is a true "leak" (which isn't a big miss right" then I would not worry about it as long as it was fairly consistent. If it does more then a leak and your missing fairways then I would work on getting the clubface to square more. Just because your feeling something doesn't mean its happening.....so you could be feeling the right arm or release being active but the clubface may not truly be squaring up.

As for your ability to do it with your stance closed and 3/4 swings I would be willing to bet that you are in more control and better spots then with your full swing. From my experience what people feel to be a 3/4 swing is actually a full swing but they don't go quite as long and actually make a more fluid swing so they hit the ball better. I would stick the 3/4 feeling and try to do it with a square stance and then run with that for a while!

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Back