Driver fitting: Club Champion? True Spec? PGASS? GG?

@DGA3 The Golf Room in Dublin also does fittings or if you don't mind a little drive 50 yards longer in Cincinnati are two other options.

@DGA3 The Golf Room in Dublin also does fittings or if you don't mind a little drive 50 yards longer in Cincinnati are two other options.

I love the name "50 yards longer."

Can I assume that if I get fitted for a new driver with them, that I will gain the aforementioned 50 yards? 😁 😉

Re: The Golf Room

I looked on their website, but they don't list the cost of a driver fitting there. I'm guessing that it would be similar to CC and True Spec, which both charge $175.

I love the name "50 yards longer."

Can I assume that if I get fitted for a new driver with them, that I will gain the aforementioned 50 yards? 😁 😉

Re: The Golf Room

I looked on their website, but they don't list the cost of a driver fitting there. I'm guessing that it would be similar to CC and True Spec, which both charge $175.
Going from memory, an hour club fitting at TGR for a single club is $125.

I've had wildly different experiences and results from different fitters locally. If you know generally what good numbers look like, have an understanding of what you like to see and feel, the lowest stress fitting option will be the best. I've done a few recently at PGA SS and found them helpful with a good selection and very low pressure. Not sure that's where I'd want to do my first ever fitting but once you've been down that road a few times you don't need a lot of hand holding in my opinion.

I guess what I should try first is to set my driver to a couple of different lofts, and see if things get better (longer, straighter) or worse.

I can do this on our range, although it's a little difficult to tell if the distance is longer without some sort of launch monitor. There are a couple of large trees about 200 yards out that I can use, and a practice green that is past those, so maybe I can get a ballpark estimate as to which setting is longest.

On the other hand, straight will be easy to observe. 😁

Seems like the advice most people give these days about getting new clubs is to get fit first.

But, there are so many variations in what people call a fitting these days that it is hard to choose where to go because the experience at the various venues can be wildly different.

I have come to believe that the knowledge and quality of the fitter is more important than where the fitting is done.

But I also have learned that where the fitting is done will define what brands of clubs and what brands of shafts will be available to try.

If you live in or near a major metro area or near a golf resort destination area like Myrtle Beach, Pinehurst, or Phoenix, there will be numerous good options.

But if you are in a more rural area it may not be that easy.

Sometimes it is an economic or personal prioritization choice.

If you are a fully committed golf is my main activity/hobby kind of guy getting fit at a top notch fitter is just another part of being fully immersed in the sport. Maybe it could even be paired with a golf trip.

No doubt, the more time and money that you have the easier it is to access top fitting experiences.

If you have the means going to a club manufacturer for an on site fitting at a place like the Kingdom with Taylormade or similar venues with the other brands is a top shelf option.

The one thing I’ve learned the hard way in regards to getting fit for golf clubs is that you just don’t know for sure what is going to work until you try it.

For the average golfer a comprehensive 30 to 90 day playability guarantee may mean more than where you got fit, because if it doesn’t work for you on the course you may be able to try something else.

I'm also going to check with my club to see if they have scheduled Ping to come in and do a fitting day.

If they are, I will definitely sign up! 😁

* Club Champion and True Spec have the most qualified fitters, but - according to their reputation - they try to upsell you on a very expensive package.

i don't disagree that there's often sticker shock when you finish a fitting with cc, true spec, cool clubs, etc. but you can look at comparative numbers among all options you hit and decide for yourself whether the results from the most expensive option justifies the extra cost over any less expensive options.

also, be honest with the fitter in your pre-fit interview about your budget. they'll do their best to find a build that works for you.

Back