Driver/Fairway Fitting

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Many of you read and commented on my horrible fitting experience at a PGA Superstore last week. This week via a relative I received a free fitting at our local Golftec. This was a much better experience to say the least. Figured I would tell you guys how it went.

The fitters name was Will and he was a super nice and honest fitter I felt. He watched me warm up with a few 8 irons and then we went to Driver. Now last week my Rogue SZ broke and Callaway was nice enough to send me a replacement shaft though not like what I had been gaming. The new one was lighter than my Even Flow but we went ahead and used it as a semi baseline. He built up a driver of all makes and we proceeded to go from there. After about 10 or so balls with each we looked over the numbers and noticed the Ping G410 Plus was the longest on both mishits and flush hits although not by much. From there he messed with a few different shafts in the top 3 clubs from the first round. It was the Ping, Maverick, and shockingly a Mizuno. I could not hit the TM Sim good to save my life. After a few swings he said hold up and let me go get something. He came back with a fairway shaft for the Ping which made it measure out at 43.5 inches. HOLY COW my first impression of that combination was wrong. I began to hit drive after drive 10 to 15 yards past where the last grouping was and with a tighter dispersion. My bonehead therory has always been shorter shaft = shorter shot but I was wrong. Impact showed with the 43.5 that I was more consistently in the middle of the face and even on mishits the result was greatly improved over the long shaft. We tried shorter shafts in the Callaway and the Mizuno but they were still behind the Ping. Finished with an average drive of 279.3, 144 ball speed, 2030 sping, launch of 16, and offline of 12. Those numbers were not eliminating any of the poor swings I put the club. From there we went to the fairway and once again it wound up being the Ping SFT turned down to 14.5 with the same shaft setup as in the driver. I was amazed how straight this setup was as I told him this club for me is more of a fairway finder than a Par 5 in two club. I ended up with a distance of 230.5, 140 ball speed, 3341 spin, 16 degree launch, but more importantly only an off center of 4 yards. The shaft setup for both though was the PX Even Flow Black 85 Stiff. I was fairly dead set on staying with a no upcharge shaft as I know 99% of the time if its a bad shots its me and not poor equipment.

One question I had though is do many of you play the same shaft in both? I called Ping and they stated playing the same in both is becoming more common at their fittings.

144 mph ball speed and a distance of 280 with center strikes doesn’t add up. Either the ball speed is wrong or the distance. 144 ball speed on center strikes gives us a swing speed around 96. A 96 swing speed produces about 260 yards.

144 mph ball speed and a distance of 280 with center strikes doesn’t add up. Either the ball speed is wrong or the distance. 144 ball speed on center strikes gives us a swing speed around 96. A 96 swing speed produces about 260 yards.
Seems reasonable based on what I'm seeing?

I guess I saw both at 270s and then others that said 140-150 is about 245-270.

Am I missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not 280 carry. Carry was 260ish

144 mph ball speed at 1.50 smash equates to 96 mph swing speed. Standard distance rule of thumb is 2.7 yards per mph we get 260 yards of total distance. Those numbers are assuming solid strike, your comments said that 280 was averages while keeping in some not so great shots. Unless you were hitting low missiles, those numbers don’t seem right.

We can split hairs on numbers all day. That being said I know what I saw as far as flight, dispersion, and distance with that combo and how it felt. It was better than the other setups.

We can split hairs on numbers all day. That being said I know what I saw as far as flight, dispersion, and distance with that combo and how it felt. It was better than the other setups.

I’m not trying to split hairs.

So you went with the FW shaft in the driver and 3W? 43.5" for the driver? 43" for 3W? Same weight?
I think its says a lot how much more control a person can have with more "old school" club lengths.
Modern off the rack clubs and their specs can keep the consumer as bamboozled and searching as anything. Sounds like a good fitter!! (y)

So you went with the FW shaft in the driver and 3W? 43.5" for the driver? 43" for 3W? Same weight?
I think its says a lot how much more control a person can have with more "old school" club lengths.
Modern off the rack clubs and their specs can keep the consumer as bamboozled and searching as anything. Sounds like a good fitter!! (y)

Yes 43.5 in driver and 43 in fairway. Same weight

Back