Do I have a reasonable chance of REALLY improving?

I should have mentioned those. I'm playing from the whites already. Driver 250y, 5i-190y, 8i 150y, SW-100y
with those yardages you have plenty of distance. If you're losing strokes from missing greens is there a consistent miss? Chipping and putting can almost always be improved on. Chipping wise you either need to find a mechanical method that works for you, or a feel that works. If you go the feel route it takes a lot more practice. Don't ask about putting...that's what kills my own scores and I can't seem to figure it out.

I should have mentioned those. I'm playing from the whites already. Driver 250y, 5i-190y, 8i 150y, SW-100y
A 400-yard par 4 is a Driver and 8-iron. You definitely do not have a problem with length.

I only hit a handful of greens during the round ...My big miss is a shot that starts off straight, then hooks left. Based on your initial comments, it sounds like your approach shots are inaccurate. I am surprised that your golf coach(es) couldn't fix this problem. What were you told is the issue with the big hook?

I'm 62 w/ Parkinson's
I still manage to score in the low 80's most of the time, but like you, my iron game is killing me. I play from the white tees most places, 5900-6200 yards or so. If there is any firmness to the fairways I'm fine there.
I still drive the ball fairly well, 200-210 carry, but I've lost about 15yds per club in the past 3 years. 7 iron used to be 155 carry and a quick stop, now 137 and 5-7 yards of roll, since <less speed = less spin, even with a good descent angle.
My advice is take a lesson or 2 from a good teach and see if thay can pinpoint a swing flaw that's fixable w/o a major overhaul.
And when in the gym or at home, work on flexibility and stability.

Last edited:
I think everyone can improve at golf regardless of age or experience. I'm similar age to the original poster and didn't start playing until age 53. Learning golf was certainly harder than I expected, and the aging body doesn't always cooperate. That said, I think I still have gas in the tank for improving at golf, but to make that happen I need to be smart about my game. I'm not going to outhit everyone or maybe anyone. :p Rather my main focus is on building the short game and overall consistency.

I take back anything I said about our games being similar. You’re bombing it out there. Nice!

.... I can at most play once/week and practice once/week, at which time I hit balls and work on chipping and putting. Practice doesn't seem to make me any better or more consistent.

I know I couldn't improve or even stay remotely consistent, practicing only once a week. You can get fit for clubs, get lessons etc, but if you can only spare that much time for practice and play, its unlikely you'll get significantly better.

If you could get a club in your hands 4-5 days a week, then yes you absolutely can get much better.

Good luck!

Been trying to figure out how to contribute to this since it was posted. Was your age when I started playing and over the years probably 90% of the people I play with are 60 or older. Most of the guys I played with early on are already gone, one 90 is still playing and playing decently. After 60 things in our body are probably changing, not all at the same rate but Mother Nature will at some point take its toll. I think developing consistency especially with the short game might be the key because for most at some point the distance might not be there. I am having more and more rounds where I have to say at least I was able to play. To some that may not seem like a plus but when I look at the guys that are already gone or unable to play for various reasons I do truly consider myself fortunate.

If you are too busy making money to practice, you may be able to track down a gifted teacher who can make the most of your short practice time.

There is a nonfiction book and comedy movie called the Big Year, in which three birders are in a race to see who can see the most birds, anywhere in North America, in a single calendar year. It shows how different approaches can lead to elite success. There are golf books that may help with the mental side of golf.

As a stroke survivor, the my best round this year started off with three doubles, +1 over the three short Par 3s (bogey, bogey, birdie), then finishing off with bogey, a safe double on treacherous sloped green, and a to bogey end the round. I figured that after 3 doubles, I still had a chance for good round if I could avoid any blow up holes. Some folks blow up and shoot a dozen strokes on the first or 2nd holes.

I'm 62 and returned to the game a couple of years ago after a 20+ year absence. Biggest issue I have is finding enough time to play on a course. I manage to spend 20 mins a day in our yard swinging 64* wedge with real balls or other clubs with foam ball or else short game. Short game is coming on leaps and bounds but the long game is still iffy so have changed coach and hoping to make some real progress this year. But it will have to involve more rounds of real golf which takes too much time when you are working full time. Have to get the work/life balance better :cool:

A

In short, yes, you can improve significantly. It always takes practice and even lessons. it is not about gaining speed or distance as, though you can, it won't be 50 yards and 30 mph. I think it would come from your iron play accuracy and short game. Dial those in and you will see improvement.

A 400-yard par 4 is a Driver and 8-iron. You definitely do not have a problem with length.

I only hit a handful of greens during the round ...My big miss is a shot that starts off straight, then hooks left. Based on your initial comments, it sounds like your approach shots are inaccurate. I am surprised that your golf coach(es) couldn't fix this problem. What were you told is the issue with the big hook?
Swing path has to be in-to-out with a square or closed clubface. I likely need to swing more to the left to try to straighten the path. It's funny; I used to play a draw, but now I have a really hard time starting the ball to the right and drawing it back and if I try to cut the ball it starts left and just stays there.

Swing path has to be in-to-out with a square or closed clubface. I likely need to swing more to the left to try to straighten the path.
I recommend you avoid compensations unless you absolutely must. (e.g.: due to physical/mobility limitations.) There be dragons ;)

Better to video your swing from down-line and front, analyze carefully, and identify what you're doing wrong to cause that ITO swing path. (May be best to employ the aid of a good swing coach?)

Back