Difference between senior shaft and ladies

4maddogs

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A.
Hi
I am a high handicap senior female player...cannot get off 36. I don't play often enough to improve much :(

I have been playing with senior shaft Cleveland HB3 irons that play nicely enough if I hit in the right direction! No problem getting the ball in the air if I don't top it. I have recently borrowed a ladies shaft Talormade Jetspeed and I am hitting it straighter than my senior shaft RBZ2. I also have a couple of hybrids, one ladies and one senior.

I like the HB3s and have seen a new set in ladies shaft for sale. How much difference is there between ladies and senior. Do you think I would benefit from a change?
thanks

Hi 4maddogs,

I will try and answer your questions in two parts.

On the difference between ladies and senior shafts; senior shafts are typically longer ( 1/2 in to 1 in longer ), heavier ( around 10 grams ), and a little stiffer.

Before I go in depth I would recommend talking with a professional or fitter in your area. They will be able to check the variables I will discuss next.

Now a little more in depth. Each manufacture sets their own standard for length, lie, and loft. Even within a brand; different models can have different specifications. I would recommend at the very least you need the numbers from your friends clubs ( length, lie, and shaft weight ). If she has "standard" off the shelf clubs you should be able to find these numbers on line. If she has custom clubs you will need to find a professional or fitter with the proper equipment to take the measurements for you. With these measurements you can then make a comparison between the HB3 "standard" ladies clubs and your friends Taylor Made clubs.

On if you would benefit from a change. This is almost impossible to answer without seeing you hit balls with your club vs. the HB3. Again this is why it is important to see a professional or fitter. If you do not have access to either a professional or fitter I would try and compare clubs via the above method. It sounds like maybe the shorter and/or lighter shaft maybe helping with your dispersion.

Hope this helps and good golfing!

Thanks for the considered reply. I take your point about being fitted. I am looking at second hand or discontinued clubs but my local pro will guide me about the shafts. There is one of those fun computerised assessment machines!

The driver I have borrowed is the ladies jetspeed and I certainly seem to be curbing my slice more with it than with my RBZ2. They are both HL versions and both set to neutral on the adjustment. I suppose it could just be a better driver for me, but I think the ladies shaft is better for a slow swing speed like mine.

Really, the answer is to play more, but time is such a factor.
Thanks again

each manuf flex can vary as well.

For instance I swing around low 90's with my driver (Avg driver 230) and hit a 7i 145-ish and play R flex. I've often bought Ladies clubs for the heads only and some of their shafts are firm enough to hold up to my swing.

Taylormade ladies clubs seems to have tts flexiest L flexes I've tried. Cobra, Callaway and Ping L flexes seems a little firmer.

Can anyone suggest a replacement for my senior HB3 set? The women's set is not available now. Would have liked the altitudes, but can't find any as they are also several years old. Don't want the latest as I am on a budget....mt camera habit has won out recently!

thanks
Julie

Back