Cutting down hybrid shaft to reduce distance

EJ333

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a high lofted hybrid that is my "go to" club. I will intentionally lay up to a certain distance just so I can hit it because of the consistent results it gives. If I grip down two inches, it will consistently give me 10 yards less. This hybrid is a Nike Sumo2 hybrid which maxes out at 34* but still gives a nice high trajectory when I grip down. Let's say that I wanted to buy another of the same club and have it cut down 4 inches to shave 20 yards off. Would this likely work ? For me gripping down on my regular club 4 inches would feel too weird, I'd rather cut down one so I could grip it normally. I am thinking that if I attempt this, some lead tape added to club head would be required. Would my idea likely work ?

It could, but cutting off 4 inches is alot. Then when you go to the next club, youre back up another 3 inches.

Does Nike make a Sumo2 in womens? If so what are the chances of finding a higher lofted hybo and reshafting it?

Both the women's and men's Nike Sumo2 max out at 34 degrees. I don't think a four inch cut down would bother me after I got used to it, the question is, does it work the way I have laid it out ? Of does the degree of loft limit the ability to achieve less distance no matter how much it is cut down ? Thanks

Yes. Length of club does affect the ability for maximum distance. It could work. But 4 inches is ALOT more than you think it is. Its the difference between a 2 iron and a pitching wedge.

Both the women's and men's Nike Sumo2 max out at 34 degrees. I don't think a four inch cut down would bother me after I got used to it, the question is, does it work the way I have laid it out ? Of does the degree of loft limit the ability to achieve less distance no matter how much it is cut down ? Thanks

Swing weight also comes into play

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

As Thainer has already said, 4 inches is a lot! I think it would throw the weighting off a ton

What is the most I could comfortably trim a shaft without throwing things out of wack ? I just came up with an idea. How about If I buy another of the same club, have it trimmed 2 inches and re- swing weighted properly, then grip down as needed ?

What is the most I could comfortably trim a shaft without throwing things out of wack ? I just came up with an idea. How about If I buy another of the same club, have it trimmed 2 inches and re- swing weighted properly, then grip down as needed ?

That idea makes much more sense to me than cutting 4 inches off of the shaft, that way you may find that you are very glad you did not cut off 4 inches as you had originally planned.

Have you tried hitting the club choking up 4"? For some reason I can't see this working, choking up 2 inches is pretty standard, but 4 inches your changing a lot of the clubs properties, swingweight, shaft kick point etc...

well, I'm no club designer, but I did stay at a Ramada Inn once ....

ya gotta put all the factors together when thinking about how a club works. Choking up to reduce distance by 10 yards is one thing, cutting 4 inches off the shaft delivers a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT club to you.

will you take the 4 inches off the butt end, or trim some off the tip also ?

While the club face has the same loft, EVERYTHING else about the club is different. The kick point of the shaft is completely in a different place. As a result the trajectory of the ball will be different, a shaft 4" shorter will make it harder to get the ball into the air with that same head. I wonder, if that club head was put on a PW shaft, would you be able to get the ball airborne, and hit the distance you want ? I don't think so, but heck I'm not a club designer/maker.

having a shorter shaft will, i think, will change your club path into the ball, change your swing speed with that club, change your angle of attack, which will change the ball flight, which will change the distance for sure, could result in your loss of consistency/confidence with your 'go to club'

imo, this will not result in what you think it will, or what you are looking for

Haven't tried choking down more than 2 inches yet, but am willing to give it a try to see what happens. I went to my clubfitter yesterday. He told me that he could only cut 1/2 inch off the shaft while still retaining the desired characteristics of a center strike of the this particular hybrid clubhead. Then we talked about the swing itself. He said that most golfers have consistent distances with a 3/4 swing, which is what I tend to do. So we talked about controlling the distance I want with a lesser swing like a 1/2 swing, which he said is easier said than done. I am willing to give it a go.

I have a high lofted hybrid that is my "go to" club. I will intentionally lay up to a certain distance just so I can hit it because of the consistent results it gives. If I grip down two inches, it will consistently give me 10 yards less. This hybrid is a Nike Sumo2 hybrid which maxes out at 34* but still gives a nice high trajectory when I grip down. Let's say that I wanted to buy another of the same club and have it cut down 4 inches to shave 20 yards off. Would this likely work ? For me gripping down on my regular club 4 inches would feel too weird, I'd rather cut down one so I could grip it normally. I am thinking that if I attempt this, some lead tape added to club head would be required. Would my idea likely work ?

I would recommend just going with another hybrid that would give you this desired distance. Cutting off 4 inches is a lot and it would have swingweight issues. Another option would be to take your current club and just learn where to cut off the follow through to give you 20 yards less. 20 yards is a lot to take off one club though I think. That distance needs a good 5 degrees of loft over what your club has. In hybrids for me, each 4 degrees more loft means 15 yards or so less in distance.

Not only will it change the swing weight it will also change the lie angle which may in fact be the most damaging factor. As someone else mentioned learn how to hit half and 3/4 shots this will be more consistent than cutting down a club. Once you cut it down there is no going back except replacing the shaft.

Back