Course Rating and Slope men vs. women

Jeanthemachine

Earl of Limerick
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.7
One set of tees has a different rating and slope for men and women.

This has come up at our course because some new "championship" tees are being added to lengthen the course. As a result some of the "mens" and "senior" tees are being adjusted to make the spacing between sets of tees approximately the same.

Some of our "seniors" are concerned because the changes in the tee positions will make carrying certain water hazards on second shots virtually impossible. Yes, their handicaps will quickly reflect the changes but this will/may impact their scores and enjoyment.

One possible solution for the "super seniors" might be to move up to the short (ladies) tees except that these tees have not been rated for men so if they play from the front tees they may not post scores for handicap purposes.

My question ( and I have sent it to the USGA) is why do a certain set of tees carry different ratings and slope for men and women? The ball and course do not know if the player is male or female. If a player can only drive the ball 175 yards shouldn't they be able to play from the set of tees that provides the most enjoyment? If a quality female player wanted to play regularly from the back tees she could not post scores either.

It is my contention that the course should be rated from each set of tees completely disregarding the gender of the players.

Can anyone shed more light on why the different ratings are needed?

Gender or age of golfer should not be taken into consideration when choosing or rating tees. In my opinion.

I often played the gold tees with the guys at my old course. The rating was a bit harder for me because it was more challenging for women since we don't hit the ball as far. The guys would be hitting irons and I would be hitting hybrids or woods into a lot of the greens.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The whole slope/rating system is flawed in my opinion anyway. I still don't agree that a person should be penalized for the distance they hit the ball and I think course ratings are too subjective and prone to errors.

Back