Contemplating Retirement - Describe Your Transition

This is what I want to know from Retirees, Is this method correct?

In direct contrast with the 4% rule is Financial Planner Ty Bernicke who published his white paper in the Journal of Financial Planning suggesting that retirement spending actually decreases on average by about 15% every 5 years.
And that by the time a retiree reaches their late 70s, their spending drops to less than half of what they were spending in their late 50s.

This approach, Bernicke says, requires one to adjust their income upward every year throughout retirement to account for a rise in inflation. Furthermore, this method requires a retiree to save more money than they’ll actually really need, while spending less, and potentially retiring later.

To counter this, Bernicke’s approach believes that the 4% rule is too rigid and that since retirees wind up spending much less in later years as they age, they could safely afford to retire earlier or spend more in the earlier years of retirement. This static rule dictates that the retiree does not change spending, up or down, no matter how the market performs. As a result, the retiree may run out of money.
Screenshot+2022-08-18+103644.jpg
I am not an expert. My opinion is that it is correct but incomplete. You need to plan for your personal situation. This is where professional help can be helpful. I expected to draw from Social Security as soon as eligible and to use the 4% rule. We were advised not to, all for reasons specific to our situation. All of the advice / reasons resonate, and I never would have gone that way on my own. The end result projects to be a portfolio that allows us to retire earlier than expected and for our kids to be recipients of a much much larger inheritance than we would have ever imagined. You can see why I am biased in favor of doing that free Monte Carlo / financial advisor service with your bank.

I could probably retire now but have a reasonably expensive life style mostly driven by my golf habit and country club membership which I don’t want to give up in retirement. We have been working with a financial advisor for a bit more than 20 years and it has been a good decision for us.
I could have retired five years ago but built a lot of wealth by waiting a few years. I had time to get a bunch of dental implants that required surgery.
Got my colonoscopy a few months before I retired and continue to see the doctor for regular checkups.
Just got my new golfing glasses! My vision has gotten less near sighted by getting away from the keyboard and playing golf!

Last edited:
This is what I want to know from Retirees, Is this method correct?

In direct contrast with the 4% rule is Financial Planner Ty Bernicke who published his white paper in the Journal of Financial Planning suggesting that retirement spending actually decreases on average by about 15% every 5 years.
And that by the time a retiree reaches their late 70s, their spending drops to less than half of what they were spending in their late 50s.

This approach, Bernicke says, requires one to adjust their income upward every year throughout retirement to account for a rise in inflation. Furthermore, this method requires a retiree to save more money than they’ll actually really need, while spending less, and potentially retiring later.

To counter this, Bernicke’s approach believes that the 4% rule is too rigid and that since retirees wind up spending much less in later years as they age, they could safely afford to retire earlier or spend more in the earlier years of retirement. This static rule dictates that the retiree does not change spending, up or down, no matter how the market performs. As a result, the retiree may run out of money.
Screenshot+2022-08-18+103644.jpg
Is the 4% rule too rigid? Absolutely! Is Bernicle's suggestion that retirement spending should actually decrease by about 15% every 5 years better. No, it's too rigid too!

Both are WAY TOO GENERIC.

I could give hundreds of examples, but just for a taste here are a few.

Not everyone even has Go-Go Years in retirement. Health and age vary by individual. That's obviously going to have a big impact on your retirement year's spending profile.

4% of what??? If someone has a full pension in retirement and Social Security as their income, what do you mean 4%? There is no agreed upon base to measure that. OTOH, you can have another class of people funding almost all of their retirement from IRAs. Let's say you have two people like that. Everything else is equal, including the current asset value. But one has their IRA in CDs and bonds and the other in high-risk classes of stocks. Are you going to treat them equally in how much they can safely spend each year? Really?

One retirement 'family' is an individual, and another is a couple. Doesn't that change the expected spending profile over the years? How many years you likely have to fund? Of course it does!

One retiring couple owns their home outright, another has rented their whole life. Is their projected spending over time going to be the same?

Is the 4% rule too rigid? Absolutely! Is Bernicle's suggestion that retirement spending should actually decrease by about 15% every 5 years better. No, it's too rigid too!

Both are WAY TOO GENERIC.

I could give hundreds of examples, but just for a taste here are a few.

Not everyone even has Go-Go Years in retirement. Health and age vary by individual. That's obviously going to have a big impact on your retirement year's spending profile.

4% of what??? If someone has a full pension in retirement and Social Security as their income, what do you mean 4%? There is no agreed upon base to measure that. OTOH, you can have another class of people funding almost all of their retirement from IRAs. Let's say you have two people like that. Everything else is equal, including the current asset value. But one has their IRA in CDs and bonds and the other in high-risk classes of stocks. Are you going to treat them equally in how much they can safely spend each year? Really?

One retirement 'family' is an individual, and another is a couple. Doesn't that change the expected spending profile over the years? How many years you likely have to fund? Of course it does!

One retiring couple owns their home outright, another has rented their whole life. Is their projected spending over time going to be the same?

My understanding of the concept is that you should be able to live off 4% of your nest egg. 1 person more likely to be able to do that then family of 3 but concept addresses. 4% does not address in any way how you pull money out of retirement accounts. It is just an estimation process based on rules of thumb.

the way I have used it is as follows. I have detailed data based projections on what I need each year going forward. I assume I need more money in retirement then before. Some of that can come from SSI but if the remainder is less then the 4% on my portfolio, I can safely assume that I will die with more money then I retire with. 4% weighted average return on total portfolio is conservative but more accurate for small portfolio's then big ones.

Last edited:
I'm 65 and could retire anytime now. Still working in somewhat of a stressful environment with a lot of challenges everyday.
I find most get the financial side really dialed in. My bigger fear is taking away all of the challenges that a career has, esp. mentally. I could fill the time by stocking shelves of driving a school bus, but it's just not the same thing.
This won't be a well received view, but everyone I know that's retired, after several months or perhaps a year, goes through a negative change mentally. Most of my previous co-workers/friends will tout the benefits of retirement, and talk of how much they love it, and wish they had of done it sooner, but every one of them have changed, and don't seem to be aware of what's happening to them.
I know it's inevitable, and I'll retire as well, but just some of my observations and fears.

It took a year, but I'm finally getting back to designing and building projects!
My job evolved to a lot of on call customer service and it was difficult to learn new skills that would enable me to creatively take on new projects that I never knew how to do before. Now I've finally emerged from "the fog of war." Never knowing what sort of stuff I'd have to when I came into work that day.

Because of the job pressure a lot of stuff evolved to quick fixes. Functional, but not really what I'd want if I had the luxury to taking my time to do it.

A lot of stuff got scattered around the house. I'm finally getting everything arranged back into some semblance of order.

I'm 65 and could retire anytime now. Still working in somewhat of a stressful environment with a lot of challenges everyday.
I find most get the financial side really dialed in. My bigger fear is taking away all of the challenges that a career has, esp. mentally. I could fill the time by stocking shelves of driving a school bus, but it's just not the same thing.
This won't be a well received view, but everyone I know that's retired, after several months or perhaps a year, goes through a negative change mentally. Most of my previous co-workers/friends will tout the benefits of retirement, and talk of how much they love it, and wish they had of done it sooner, but every one of them have changed, and don't seem to be aware of what's happening to them.
I know it's inevitable, and I'll retire as well, but just some of my observations and fears.
Interesting take. I also retired from a very challenging career. Funny thing for me was realizing how people (including yours truly) could get so worked up over something so insignificant. Once I stepped away, I finally discovered that life isn't about quotas, deadlines, expenses, revenue, margin, valuation etc. I didn't have a bit of trouble stepping away from my career and leaving the stress behind. I now stress over important things, like a good tee time or when we can schedule our next trip.

The great news is that you have total control! Not everyone is in your shoes.

How have they changed. Any examples
I suppose I could give examples, but want to emphasize, this view is just my opinion. I've noticed a phenomenon I refer to as getting soft. I've found that the same thing sort of happens to the human mind that happens physically when you stagnate. The body gets "soft".
When I go to work, I use deductive reasoning, communicative skills, problem solving, battle of wits, even social bantering is an exercise of the human mind. Those I was referring to seem to have dumbed down in all these areas.

I suppose I could give examples, but want to emphasize, this view is just my opinion. I've noticed a phenomenon I refer to as getting soft. I've found that the same thing sort of happens to the human mind that happens physically when you stagnate. The body gets "soft".
When I go to work, I use deductive reasoning, communicative skills, problem solving, battle of wits, even social bantering is an exercise of the human mind. Those I was referring to seem to have dumbed down in all these areas.

My job is similar to yours. Many a day I wished I could go mow grass instead of trying to win some battle of wits. I can see where someone who has done that for a lifetime considers this stress. Sometimes what we call stress is in my experience something you have grown tired of. retirement for some may be the right to avoid.

I'm active now but will amp that up to new levels when I don't need to sit near a keyboard all day.

I get what you are saying. When people disengage, either mentally or physically, they tend to deteriorate. This is in addition to the challenges inherent in advancing age.

I was very aware of that approaching my retirement and was proactive at addressing that in various ways.

I have an inherent advantage over some being a lifelong learner, so that has continued.

I had a long recent post in this thread about moving across country, orchestrating 4 moves for us and relatives, so I won’t repeat those details. I continue to write a weekly e-newsletter that requires considerable research and writing. Several people have commented on how my wife and I have really jumped in and put ourselves out there in our new community. I advise several business owners.

I’ve gotten to know more than 200 people in our new locale. These are people who I know all their names and quite a bit about their lives and have been very intentional about that.

I played 45 holes of golf this week, am in two competitive leagues, increased my distance with all clubs, and have 1/2 acre of landscape property to update and maintain.

I consume about 50 pages of material on average each day, learning and updating myself on various topics and skills.

BTW, my mom is 89 years old and sharp as a tack.

I am not a financial adviser, rather a long time commercial banker. I'm also a DIY investor and a very conservative personality. I lucked out, the companies I worked for all have great saving programs. I put in a dollar, they put in $0.50. They pay it our annually in publicly traded shares.

All I see is a 50% return. I cash them and have laddered them in fixed rate products. Which the company also adds a staff bonus Many folks I work with, still play the market with the share price and when it goes down by $5.00 they are frantic and sell

Cost of living. Inflation. That is not something I choose to calculate. I just looked at amassing a sum of money and pay off the debt.

The one thing I believe I have learned, retirement is unique to every person. Whatever you choose to do or not do, talk to as many people as you can. If you can afford a new set of clubs every year and belong to a private golf community, awesome. Many can't

Prepare a budget and review it every year. Really learn what you "have to" spend for your lifestyle.

4 years ago, due to covid, I started working from home. Then was transferred to a new group and we never went back to an office setting.

I call it working retirement. There are no interruptions, folks walking into an office, B/S water cooler talk. I still enjoy the work. I stay connected with all sorts of folks across our network and am relied on for my expertise.

House is paid off, no 2 hour commute and my brain stays connected with what is happening in the world and around me.

Based on how I feel today, I could continue this until my best before date. My wife and son will be looked after very well.

Resurrected my stereo set up so have really been enjoying getting into the music I enjoy while completing my tasks. Continue to play in a rock band with my buddies the past 20 years (but haven't bought a new guitar or amp for 15 years and still play daily) and play 36 holes a week. (An 18 with my wife and two 9's after work) but haven't bought new clubs in years. I just buy used and my last purchase was a set of Ping Eye 2's for $100

You need to retire based on your lifestyle, wants and needs. Not someone who hit a homer at 39 and tells everyone they should invest in crypto. What does your gut tell you? 90% of your funds in crypto at 64 years old is riskier than if you are 35. Have a goal. When you meet the goal, capture it.

In a few months, I’ll be retired for 8 years. I’ve never gone through any negative change mentality. I had stress in my job and the mental negativity left me when I retired. I understand how some people need to keep working, but not me. I like having things to do, but working a job isn’t for me.

***My bigger fear is taking away all of the challenges that a career has, esp. mentally. I could fill the time by stocking shelves of driving a school bus, but it's just not the same thing.
I appreciate you sharing this. It’s not something I’ve considered.

1714234456150.png

I’m 49 and am/was 6 years away from retirement from Big Oil. My job has allowed me to live a great life and put my kids (twin girls) through college. As well as marry both off as of March (girls cost a damn fortune).

However in January I had a severe brain bleed putting me in the hospital for 20 days. This has really put a hamper on whether to go back to work OR go on long term disability (which is offered at 65% of my salary). I’m currently on Short Term recovering however my medical team has said it could take years to recover “If” I can ever recover. I have until July 23 to make the decision to return or seek LTD.

Financially my wife and I can afford for me to do so. So I suppose I will cross that bridge when I get there. Right now I’ve been focusing on mental recovery and cognitive thinking skills…. Which my job requires.

If I can’t return full time I plan on playing golf quite a bit again as well as take care of my hunting land (preparing food plots and manicuring roads).

I’m 49 and am/was 6 years away from retirement from Big Oil. My job has allowed me to live a great life and put my kids (twin girls) through college. As well as marry both off as of March (girls cost a damn fortune).

However in January I had a severe brain bleed putting me in the hospital for 20 days. This has really put a hamper on whether to go back to work OR go on long term disability (which is offered at 65% of my salary). I’m currently on Short Term recovering however my medical team has said it could take years to recover “If” I can ever recover. I have until July 23 to make the decision to return or seek LTD.

Financially my wife and I can afford for me to do so. So I suppose I will cross that bridge when I get there. Right now I’ve been focusing on mental recovery and cognitive thinking skills…. Which my job requires.

If I can’t return full time I plan on playing golf quite a bit again as well as take care of my hunting land (preparing food plots and manicuring roads).
Beware of tax implications on that 65% LTD. It can be taxable income (or not) depending on if purchased with pre/post tax dollars. It’s very possible your actual income is less than the 2/3rds you would rationally expect thanks to Uncle Sam.

Be aware that there are usually offsets for social security disability received. That doesn’t reduce your total disability income but could result in administrative stuff to deal with.

Heads up that LTD isn’t replacement income for life. Your insurance provider will almost certainly do periodic reviews and determine if you are able to return to work.

Good luck on recovering from the brain bleed.

I have made a full recovery from a brain bleed that put me in the hospital for a month.
I couldn't feel anything on my dominant right hand side. I had ataxia and had to learn to do everything again. Had double vision.
A few years afterwards the eye doctor could see some signs of ataxia but now they don't see anything different from normal.
Ataxia is a jerky movement.
It may have helped that I'm cross dominant. Or that figured out how many laps around the floor was needed to travel a mile and did a mile every day.

I walked 18 holes in the middle of a Connecticut winter!

Last edited:
Back