Completely blinded today. Need some help.

jnug

Reaction score
It is sort of ironic that I had started that poll regarding yellow golf balls and their real or perceived benefits as far as visibility is concerned. I ran into a different kind of vision problem on the fairways today that frankly bothered me much more and in some ways scared me to death.

If you happened to be in Southern New Hampshire today maybe you experienced this as well. The sun in the late afternoon today was as bright and as penetrating as I have ever seen it, ever anywhere.

The sky was blue for the most part with a few wispy clouds about. The clouds did not help at all and may have made things worse as it appeared to me that they just served to defuse the sun in some instances which was not an advantage. The sun was low but not anywhere near the horizon as yet as it was about 5:45 when I got out there. At any rate I had not experienced anything like this on a golf course before. For example, this was the only time on a golf course that I could not pick up the ball at all. I would lift my head from the shot and the ball was just gone! Usually I can come back at a golf ball with the sun at my back as opposed to looking into the sun and find it easily. Not today. The sun just exploded off of everything.

The sun was so bright that it seemed to turn blades of grass into tiny mirrors. I had no depth perception at all. For the period of time when I was able to maintain my concentration and hit the ball well, I overcooked just about everything flying greens everywhere. Ultimately however I became so disoriented that I could not gauge the distance from the end of my nose to the ball sitting at my feet! I was completely overwhelmed. Since it was a Friday night there were a number of dads out with their sons and I was just petrified by the idea that I might hit a golf ball and not even be able to see it good enough to warn somebody.

As for yellow vs white today, I could not pick out my white golf balls anywhere. I know I have mentioned that we have had so much rain this year that the fairways, really everything on the course is really lush. Today everything looked washed out. I could not see golf balls in fairways or on greens. I finally found golf balls because their shape was too uniform for mother nature. However I could not pick up the whiteness of the ball against the green grass at all. The ball actually stood out a bit more if you landed it in the sand as the sand did not create that little mirror effect that I mentioned relative to blades of grass.

Once I got to the point where my concentration was completely gone I could not have hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle. I once just jammed the club right into the ground and really hurt my wrist I was so out of whack as well as blind. Everybody was wearing sunglasses of some sort with varying degrees of success. Folks in my age bracket did not put up much of an effort to play. The few there were retired to the putting green or just played a few holes and packed it in for the most part.

I went home and immediately took out some training tools and clubs as the sun was finally down. I had my swing back within about 30 minutes but that still did not save me from being petrified that I simply could not see out there on the course.

I was wearing Oakley sunglasses but I had the lenses in them that would help read greens. I started to do some research before I decided to come in here and ask for some assistance. From my brief look at the topic it would appear that the rose color that is meant to help read greens is not optimal for bright sunlight and colors like Iridium or something with yellow tint is preferred in bright sunlight. I have a set or polarized Iridium lenses for my Oakleys. I have some Maui Jims as well in a few different styles. Buying another pair of glasses would be fine as I just do not want to be caught like this again. This was scary.

I would not have believed that the sun would have forced me off the course in a million years but I just had to leave. It was no fun as eventually I felt like I could not escape and I just did not like the feeling of not having any control of my shot and no ability to see where the ball was going.

I would be willing to listen to any recommendations for lenses or sunglasses or anything that will help in instances like what we had out there today. This was surely a rare day at least I hope so. That said I don't even want to get close to having a day like this again as eventually when you add in concern for other players and your own discomfort it was a day of torture.

I currently use Revos with a brownish polarized lens. The contrast I get with them is perfect for golf. I will remove them at times to read a green. They look good on and off the course. Sorry to hear about your rough day. Doesn't sound like any sort of sunglasses would have helped in the situation you describe.

I have some prescription Oakleys with just the standard black polarized lenses in them that have served me well on the course. I generally don't get into all the extra colors - all I know is I see better with the Oaks than I do with my normal glasses of the same prescription.

Don't know if that would help, but maybe just going standard might work?

I found the specs for the lenses in these Oakleys at the web site. These are G30 lenses which are golf specific. They are great for reading greens but are meant for low to moderate light conditions. As such they let in huge amounts of light compared to lenses meant for bright sunlight. No wonder I could not see anything. They are good for earth tone contrast and seeing the contour in greens but that is about where it ends. So it appears that the G30 lenses are great for reading greens but based on my experience today and based on the specs that I just looked at they are probably little better than no glasses at all if the conditions are what we had today.

I looked at the specs for the other set of polarized lenses that I have for these Oakleys and they are designed for "extreme bright sunlight". I am going to try them ASAP and I may just end up carrying both sets of lenses and just changing them per the conditions. The lenses are easy enough to change on these. I remembered I had this other set when I started to research the lenses that were in the Oakley's today.

Personally I've never ban a big fan of polarized lenses. They're great for fishing, ok for skiing, but other than that they distort stuff to me anyway, sounds like your tiny mirrors on the grass, I notice it on the pavement when I'm riding. Rose and yellow lenses are good for flat/low light, but clear days need some shading. Revo's are good and their polarization didn't seem to bother me, nowadays I like raybans g15 lens. I think, it's not stamped or printed on the shades. Same lens they have been using since WWII pilots tested for them.

There are numerous reviews on the home page from almost every eyewear maker one could imagine.

Various manufacturers aside at least based on these two different lenses it is an issue of getting the right set into the frames. In my case, having lenses in the frames designed for low to moderate light conditions in the brightest sunlight I have ever seen on a golf course (surely exacerbated by the time of day, sky and angle of sun) was a huge mistake at least based on going back outside today in conditions not quite as bright as they were last evening. The sun is much higher in the sky at this hour but it is very bright today and the "alternate" set of lenses are obviously knocking down much more of the light intensity, both from the sun itself and from what is being reflected back up off the turf or anything else for that matter.

Interestingly since I can go back and forth today with ease, going back to the lenses I wore last evening produces a result similar to last evening just not as bad because the sun is not quite as intense right now and because my eyes are fresher and not suffering from the extended strain they had to content with last evening.

tnc200's comment here about his RayBans and lenses developed back during WWII might be relevant here as going back that far into sunglass history I think most of the lens development at that time would have been of a more traditional nature. Do the best job at knocking down bright sunlight and glare and I am a happy camper. I surely would have been better off with those lenses last evening.

I might try to find a set of lenses that are as effective at knocking down the bright sun that have a different finish. I think the loss of depth perception I experienced last evening is just a side effect of your eyes being so overwhelmed as depth perception is one of the first things that goes off when your eyes are under some strain.

Unfortunately golf does not give you many options. You have to look out there whether your eyes are being overwhelmed or not but at some point in my case my eyes could no longer fight off the eye strain that was resulting and it just plain hurt to look out there and my vision kept getting worse as there was no let up.

This experience might also make a good case for bringing glasses (with the right lenses) out to the course regardless of whether you are going to wear them during shots or not. That much light intensity can obviously be an issue and maybe for us middle aged and older golfers you want to give your eyes a break even if it is between shots. Maybe age should not even be a consideration as eye strain can't be a good thing at any age.

It also makes an argument for recognizing that all of these alternate lenses that have been developed with specific attributes are just that, lenses designed to function optimally for a specific set of conditions and if you are caught out with lenses for one condition when faced with a condition at the entire other end of the spectrum, you might find yourself worse off than if you did not wear them at all. A set of lenses designed to allow you to read the greens better and/or read contours better is obviously enhancing particular elements of the light spectrum and it seems clear at this point that enhancing those particular elements of the light spectrum was the worst possible choice under the conditions that I had.

Regardless on what frames you end up with, I do suggest that you get yourself some quality lenses!
I use the same set of prescription glasses (had a set made with sun glass lenses) and I made the mistake of going with regular lenses the first time... then I paid the price and got a nice set of polarized lenses.
I don't like gray lenses, it dulls out everything, so I strictly suggest brown, because while it takes away the brightness and glare, it still keeps everything vivid.
It does well in the bright Miami sun!

I wear Sundog, Tifosi, and adidas but they're all polarized. Really helps see things clear when the skies get hazy with humidity around here during the summer. However its a very personal thing so make sure you get frames that suit your face and wear well when you have a hat on

Back