Club build questions

Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
So I ditched my trusty old P790’s the other month for Ping G425’s and it’s been a disaster. Its made me realize I love my P790’s and I prefer graphite shafts. Today my buddy surprised me with a P790 7 iron he’d built for me with a MMT shaft (it was stiff, but at 80g I really enjoyed it rather than the super lightweight regular shafts TM seem to offer). He’s offered to make me a set with his backup set of P790’s he’s willing to offload. He tinkers with shafts but basically just makes them to his current length and he plays his shafts a little short. I need standard length shafts, so my question is, how do you measure the shaft. Is it from the end of the hosel to the butt of the club? Or is it the length of the shaft before it’s attached to the club head? I’m a little weary, as I’ve normally only ever bought clubs from retailers, but I liked this head shaft combo out on the course, and I’ll obviously get those for a great price, so wanna give it a go (he says he’s gonna build em whether I want them or not). Is there anything else he needs to be weary of when putting these things together?

Quickest way I'd to get a 48" ruler, lay the club like you're going to hit it then place ruler behind the club to the floor, you should then see what finished length is at the butt end of the grip

Quickest way I'd to get a 48" ruler, lay the club like you're going to hit it then place ruler behind the club to the floor, you should then see what finished length is at the butt end of the grip
So TM 7iron is 37”. That 37” is from the floor to the but of the club? I assumed it was just the length of the shaft.

Measurement is built, you need to know the floor to butt measurement & you can estimate from the shaft but you need that angle between the sole of the club & hosel to get the full length.

Attachments

• StdLengths.pdf
    176.8 KB · Views: 4
So TM 7iron is 37”. That 37” is from the floor to the but of the club? I assumed it was just the length of the shaft.
The club "length" includes the club head - picture the club in the address position: you're measuring along the backside of the shaft from the top of the grip to the ground at the same angle that the shaft is leaning. Getting technical you need to cut the shaft to allow for the thickness of the grip's butt, but that's essentially the image.

Back