Cleveland Launcher FL 17* versus Mashie M1 15.5*

EJ333

Reaction score
Handicap
For those who have hit both:

a) How would you compare distances, ball flight and accuracy between the two clubs?

b) Does anybody carry both in the bag, or is there too much overlap in the utility of these two ?

I would like to know as well

I haven't hit the 17* Cleveland but can compare to the 17* R9 fairway wood. I carry the M1 instead of carrying a fairway wood currently. I think this has been discussed in the mashie thread as well if you can find what your looking for in the 200+ pages in there.

I only lost about 15 yards when going to the M1 but am much better off the ground with it. I struggle with the M1 off the tee a little bit but I think it's because it requires a slower smooth swing and when I tee off I have a tendency to rush my swing. I am more accurate with the M1 but that has more to do with my swing rather than the club. If you tend to use your FW primarly for teeing off, I think the FW might be a better choice, but if using off the turf is your primary use I would lean towards using the M1.

I would think caring both the M1 and a fairway would would create a overlap, I found it did so I took out the FW and added another wedge.

They are very different clubs based on which someone prefers. For that distance, I still prefer a FW wood and before the MC started, I was messing around the FW quite a bit (17*). I had used the Mashie 15.5 in many cases and liked it quite a bit. I get slightly more distance out of the FW wood, but where it shines for me, is I still prefer using a FW off the tee to a hybrid. Maybe its a mental thing, maybe its a ball flight thing, not sure.

I would say anybody in the market for these, check this link out and find out EVERYTHING you would ever want to know about them.

http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=14247

Very interesting. I think I'm going to golfsmith & hit the wood today.

I'm struggling with the Cleveland right now. Everything is just going straight right

I'm struggling with the Cleveland right now. Everything is just going straight right

FW or M1?

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

They are very different clubs based on which someone prefers. For that distance, I still prefer a FW wood and before the MC started, I was messing around the FW quite a bit (17*). I had used the Mashie 15.5 in many cases and liked it quite a bit. I get slightly more distance out of the FW wood, but where it shines for me, is I still prefer using a FW off the tee to a hybrid. Maybe its a mental thing, maybe its a ball flight thing, not sure.

I would say anybody in the market for these, check this link out and find out EVERYTHING you would ever want to know about them.

http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=14247

I'm with you, JB. I just picked up the 17 FL and it is much more of a confidence-building club while teed. I'm getting about 10-15 yards more on the range vs. the 18* M2. If that's all I see on the course I'll probably sell the M2 or try to find a another cheap FL but in 15* flavor to check out and possibly use instead.

I went with the FW for off the tee instead of replacing my 15.5 DST with a mashie...first purchase that I have no doubt I made the right choice

Let's say that your ball is on the fairway 215 yards away. Both your Cleveland FL 17 * and your Mashie M1 15 * could both reach the green. Which club would you pull ?

Let's say that your ball is on the fairway 215 yards away. Both your Cleveland FL 17 * and your Mashie M1 15 * could both reach the green. Which club would you pull ?

My M5 Mashie :act-up:

But seriously, I've never had the accuracy with a 3 Wood or even a 5 wood that I have with my mashies, from the fairway OR from the tee. I won (thank you THP and TM) a new R11 3 Wood, and I have not hit it yet on the course as I have not had a situation yet where I felt it was a better option for me than my M1. And if you happen to find yourself in the rough, the gap in performance for me widens even further.

When I nut the 3 wood I might get about 7 to 10 more yards than the Mashie. BUt I bet overall, I average more distance with the Mashie than the 3 Wood, and my dispersion is probably about twice as good. No brainer for me. But I know some people have had issues getting the M1 airborn. If that's the case, I think the fairway wood is a really good way to go too.

Its great to have so many good options, and all from the same clubmaker no less!

Well said Golf4life. For yourself you seem to achieve more consistent results overall from your Mashie M1. Thanks

Right now the M1 is on the shelf cause like G4L metioned I had some difficulties hitting it that I did not have with the M3 or M5. I to am debating a 17* FW or that M1, time will tell for me.

White Rhino,

The Cleveland FL 17* seems to have universal appeal for golfers of a wide range. Assuming I am having a decent ball striking day, I have found the 17* to be quite forgiving even though the shaft itself is quite long. I do not own an M1 as of yet cause I am concerned that I may not be able to get it airborne with a slow swingspeed.

White Rhino,

The Cleveland FL 17* seems to have universal appeal for golfers of a wide range. Assuming I am having a decent ball striking day, I have found the 17* to be quite forgiving even though the shaft itself is quite long. I do not own an M1 as of yet cause I am concerned that I may not be able to get it airborne with a slow swingspeed.

Well since you are in SoCal we might just have to get out for a round. I'll bring the M1 and you can bring the FL 17* and we can both see for ourselves.

BTW,a couple years ago, you asked me about the Cleveland Fitting Center in Huntington Beach. I've been there twice, but really should have gone there more. Did you ever give it a try ? I see your goal is to have a bag which is more fitted to your game.

With all the positive reviews of the Mashie I succumbed and purchased an M2 in June. It is no longer in my bag. Too easy to pull the ball, never quite comfortable with the offset. Still can't replace my Callaway Diablo.

BTW,a couple years ago, you asked me about the Cleveland Fitting Center in Huntington Beach. I've been there twice, but really should have gone there more. Did you ever give it a try ? I see your goal is to have a bag which is more fitted to your game.

I did not do that as of yet. I went through a shaft optimizer for assistance in selection for a new set of irons but I might go check that out if I decide to replace driver and woods.

Back