Cigman CT-800Y Rangefinder Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
As we are currently in the midst of club release season, one topic of discussion regarding all the impressive new products being introduced are their high price tags. In light of this, let’s shift gears and look at a budget-friendly laser rangefinder that costs less than $80 and possibly even less if you read through to the end. Allow me to introduce the Cigman CT-800Y laser rangefinder.

Continue reading...

I love that you lasered your dog.

For the really budget conscious, this seems pretty strong. Would have liked the magnet built in, but at less than $60 that’s strong

That’s outstanding for the price!

How fast are the zoomies @ddec ?

Well written I must add!

Hard to beat that price.

That's a great price and the Flagpole mode sounds like a great addition.

There’s so many good options, but my Bushnell V3 keeps working

Seems like it has every feature for that price you could want. Throw a magnet sleeve on it for like 5 to 10 bucks and you're set.

At that price it falls into the "buy one as a backup" range. If the speed measurement is any kind of accurate it could be fun to play with too.

Seems like it has every feature for that price you could want. Throw a magnet sleeve on it for like 5 to 10 bucks and you're set.
even better, they include one.

Great write up… definitely for the price conscious or someone that hunts too.

Great write up… definitely for the price conscious or someone that hunts too.
yeah for the price conscious golfer, it will definitely work. I do think there are some units out there that fall in the budget class that feel substantially better in the hand, but for what the cost is I doubt anyone things they are getting something that feels premium.

yeah for the price conscious golfer, it will definitely work. I do think there are some units out there that fall in the budget class that feel substantially better in the hand, but for what the cost is I doubt anyone things they are getting something that feels premium.
How would you compare this to the tectectec

Great writeup. This is definitely one for the budget conscious.

How would you compare this to the tectectec
I have two tectectec devices on hand. One is the KLYR and the other is the ULT-S Pro.

The pro is just not a comparable device because it has more modes, features, and lives in a much different price tier.
KLYR, which I used for a while until the battery died. Their distances side by side were close. I like the KLYR better in the hand, and I thought the numbers on the screen came across as being easier to read when it wasn't so bright out. Speed wise, pretty similar.

What is the useful purpose of a speed measurement? That seems like an odd feature for a range finder but hiliarious that you lasered your dog's zoomies haha. Can't beat the price though

30,000 zaps, goodness I don’t think I’ve ever zapped that many times in my life.

I do like the rechargeable battery and battery gauge. You don't have to remember to carry CR2 batteries in your golf bag, and as long as you charge it once in a while you don't have to worry about it going dead in the middle of a round with no warning whatsoever.

What is the useful purpose of a speed measurement? That seems like an odd feature for a range finder but hiliarious that you lasered your dog's zoomies haha. Can't beat the price though
I’m guessing it’s more for hunting? I’d have to defer to any hunters to see if that is beneficial or not.

I picked one of these up based on the review... $20 coupon, and 20% off made it like $43 shipped to my door. I figure if I hate it, I'll send it back. If not, then I've got a new toy for little $$.

Zapped a few street lights from the front porch. Numbers seem to line up with a low cost hunting range finder I have.

I picked one of these up based on the review... $20 coupon, and 20% off made it like $43 shipped to my door. I figure if I hate it, I'll send it back. If not, then I've got a new toy for little $$.

Zapped a few street lights from the front porch. Numbers seem to line up with a low cost hunting range finder I have.
Nice. Let us know how it works when you make it to the course.

Had it out this weekend. Compared to the GPS on the carts, distances were pretty close. Usually within a yard or two. It was nice to use to make sure we weren't at risk of hitting into the group ahead.

The one thing I struggle with is finding the pin/flag when there is something behind it. Probably more user error than anything, but it often takes a few tries to get a number that makes sense.

The charge seems to last a long time, and I like how light the unit is in hand. I haven't tried the magnetic strap yet.

Back